Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Dec 6, 2015 at 2:54 PM Post #5,986 of 14,386
Because Beyer DT 990 (250 ohm) has efficiency at 96.0 dB SPL/mw and  HD 650 (300 ohm) has efficiency at 97.8 dB SPL/mw    still the difference in volume should not be large.

I think the fact that the HD650 are very mid centric (where our ears are most sensitive) and the Beyers are V-Shaped makes the Beyer's perceptual loudness less than what you would think based on just reading efficiency stats. When I briefly owned both I always used a higher setting in my amp for the Beyers than the senns, by a decent margin.

Dec 6, 2015 at 3:08 PM Post #5,987 of 14,386
HD650 has the mids presented as they should be, not lower than bass and treble like the Beyers and many others. They just don't have that loudness-curve, I guess.

Dec 6, 2015 at 6:22 PM Post #5,988 of 14,386
Just wondering what peoples experiences with different pads are with the HE-400i, I'm thinking about the Alpha dogs or Brainwavs pads.  I'm wondering how they change the comfort/sound signature, as I've heard they have positive effects with previous Hifiman models.

Dec 6, 2015 at 6:27 PM Post #5,989 of 14,386
  Just wondering what peoples experiences with different pads are with the HE-400i, I'm thinking about the Alpha dogs or Brainwavs pads.  I'm wondering how they change the comfort/sound signature, as I've heard they have positive effects with previous Hifiman models.

Here are 36 pages for you.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/572327/mission-replace-the-hifiman-ear-pads-with-other-brand-ear-pads

Dec 6, 2015 at 6:57 PM Post #5,990 of 14,386
  Here are 36 pages for you.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/572327/mission-replace-the-hifiman-ear-pads-with-other-brand-ear-pads

How the HE-400i reacts with different pads is not discussed at any point in that thread,

Dec 6, 2015 at 9:25 PM Post #5,992 of 14,386
  Been getting an odd static every now and then in the right driver. Using a Magni2/Modi2. Sounds like I may have a bad driver. Anyone else experience this? Might have to RMA it.

You sure it's not a bass rattle? I had one in the right driver, had to get a replacement. Check here to make sure: http://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_frequencychecklow.php

Edit: I also get some static electricity shocks using them from time to time, you're probably not talking about that though.

Dec 6, 2015 at 9:26 PM Post #5,993 of 14,386
Don't think so. Happened the first time when I was on Skype and heard it during near-silence. Figured it may just be a glitch with Skype. Heard it again multiple times today just watching YouTube videos with dialogue, no music or anything. Very noticeable too.

Dec 6, 2015 at 9:27 PM Post #5,994 of 14,386
  Don't think so. Happened the first time when I was on Skype and heard it during near-silence. Figured it may just be a glitch with Skype. Heard it again multiple times today just watching YouTube videos with dialogue, no music or anything. Very noticeable too.

I edited my other post about static electricity, I assume that's not what you're experiencing though - it's pretty obvious. 

Dec 7, 2015 at 4:15 AM Post #5,995 of 14,386
Just got my unit today. Listening to it via my iPhone, there are some shrill or sibilence on the treble at max volume. Is it normal? When I pairt with Fiio E5 entry level amp, it does sound better when I turn on bass boost.

I am looking forward to get a good amp, considering E12. Hope it sounds OK

Dec 7, 2015 at 7:21 AM Post #5,997 of 14,386
Just got my unit today. Listening to it via my iPhone, there are some shrill or sibilence on the treble at max volume. Is it normal? When I pairt with Fiio E5 entry level amp, it does sound better when I turn on bass boost.

I am looking forward to get a good amp, considering E12. Hope it sounds OK

I can't say I've had any real sibilance with my 400i and I listen to them louder than most I would assume. Are you using low bitrate audio because that can be a cause. These headphone aren't as smooth with low quality audio like the old HE-400. I've been using 320 mp3's and flac and the treble has sounded quite good though there is a bit of a metallic tinge to them with some recordings.

Dec 7, 2015 at 7:28 AM Post #5,998 of 14,386

I can't say I've had any real sibilance with my 400i and I listen to them louder than most I would assume. Are you using low bitrate audio because that can be a cause. These headphone aren't as smooth with low quality audio like the old HE-400. I've been using 320 mp3's and flac and the treble has sounded quite good though there is a bit of a metallic tinge to them with some recordings.

I mentioned earlier I heard a slight metallicness to them as well with certain recordings, I imagine that's the 8-9kHz area possibly. Not really a bad thing imo. These are definitely on the low level of sibilant headphones, and I'm treble sensitive.

Dec 7, 2015 at 7:31 AM Post #5,999 of 14,386
Lots of new impressions here. 

Honestly though, these are planar magnetic headphones they need an decent amp/source to achieve the intended sound. They have coloration to them, but they pretty much sound like your source, crap in crap out.

Dec 7, 2015 at 8:14 AM Post #6,000 of 14,386
Hmm, weird. My iPhone drives my he400i plenty loud. Half volume is a good quiet volume, 70% is prime rock out volume, 90% is "irresponsibly loud" and I can't even put them on at max volume.

I'm also concerned about my volume. I have to crank it to be the same volume as the Q701 they replaced with the same equipment. I hope there wasn't a bad batch :-/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back