Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
May 30, 2015 at 7:36 PM Post #4,246 of 14,386

Hmm, I've pretty much had the opposite experience. Granted I've only listened to the HD650, but unless the HD600's soundstage is much better than that of the HD650 I felt the HE-400i's soundstage was not only wider, but also imaging was much better (mainly because everything in the HD650 was so close together and thus separation suffered).

Agree with you that the sound stage of the HE-400i is wider than the HD-650 but I never heard a HD-600 so can't say for sure on my part.

May 30, 2015 at 9:07 PM Post #4,247 of 14,386

I actually have a different opinion on this, having heard both. Though it's not a popular opinion, I personally think that the HE-400i is just as good as the LCD-2 (but not better) in terms of technical ability, and that which one you prefer comes down to preference in sound signature. I think the mids are comparable on both headphones, but I prefer the brighter sound signature of the HE-400i (I'm not a very big fan of dark sounding headphones in general, as I listen to too much classical and orchestral for that).

I actually agree with @chowmein83 here about the LCD-2 and HE-400i after having done quite of bit of direct comparisons in a demo setting. Both very technically capable, and really depends on sound signature preferences which one you will enjoy. I personally prefer the HE-400i as I found it to be closer to my personal ideal of neutral. The LCD-2 is too dark for a primary pair of headphones for my personal tastes. ymmv of course :)

May 30, 2015 at 10:14 PM Post #4,248 of 14,386
  I actually agree with @chowmein83 here about the LCD-2 and HE-400i after having done quite of bit of direct comparisons in a demo setting. Both very technically capable, and really depends on sound signature preferences which one you will enjoy. I personally prefer the HE-400i as I found it to be closer to my personal ideal of neutral. The LCD-2 is too dark for a primary pair of headphones for my personal tastes. ymmv of course :)

How is the Bass Quality of the lcd-2 comparatively speaking?
I don't care about quantity so much, but how is the quality? Is it a step-up from a 400i or is the difference negligible?

May 30, 2015 at 11:36 PM Post #4,250 of 14,386
Hi Chris, you need to learn how to hide the new stuff (ship to work vs home or get deliveries before she does) as some have posted on these forums.  A better solution would be to try and get her to appreciate them with you, my girlfriend loves music so she has added to the inventory of gear on her own, but its only after she get a new handbag, shoes, or cloths.

I think I (we) found another solution actually. Monthly common savings, plus of course down payments etc, which pretty much leaves the rest for me. :thumbsup: I think I managed to convince her that my current headphones have very different usages, which is completely true to boot, but to explain that this also goes for amps?... Probably not so easy. The good part here is that I decided to completely call it quits when it comes to alcohol, a few months ago. You wouldn't BELIEVE how much money I'm saving on this, (I also generally feel heck of a lot better as well, although I never were a "drunkard" in the first place), and I find that I actually enjoy music much more. Probably has something to do with not being half sedated by a whiskey half the time I'm sitting down for an extended listening session. Anyways, this money could be better spent on LSD... oops, LCD2 :wink:

May 30, 2015 at 11:42 PM Post #4,251 of 14,386

Hi Money,
After reading your post I realized that when I look at headphones it is to find a different sound signature to add to what I currently have and not to find something "neutral" or what many would consider neutral.  An example is the "up grade" from HE-400i to LCD-2f, I like both because they sound different and I like those differences.  I like having headphones of different sound signatures since l like many different genres of music and its impossible to have a single do it all.  And as always YMMV, cheers.

May 30, 2015 at 11:45 PM Post #4,252 of 14,386
I think I (we) found another solution actually. Monthly common savings, plus of course down payments etc, which pretty much leaves the rest for me. :thumbsup: I think I managed to convince her that my current headphones have very different usages, which is completely true to boot, but to explain that this also goes for amps?... Probably not so easy. The good part here is that I decided to completely call it quits when it comes to alcohol, a few months ago. You wouldn't BELIEVE how much money I'm saving on this, (I also generally feel heck of a lot better as well, although I never were a "drunkard" in the first place), and I find that I actually enjoy music much more. Probably has something to do with not being half sedated by a whiskey half the time I'm sitting down for an extended listening session. Anyways, this money could be better spent on LSD... oops, LCD2
wink.gif

With amps I would find a terrible pairing, let her listen and then find a great pairing and let her listen again so she can understand the importance of the amp along with getting a good pairing/synergy, it worked on my girlfriend
biggrin.gif

May 30, 2015 at 11:53 PM Post #4,253 of 14,386
I like having headphones of different sound signatures since l like many different genres of music and its impossible to have a single do it all.

Exactly my thoughts. Also, if you like to hike in the mountains, it doesn't hurt to wear different clothes depending on the weather. I have noticed that my preferences can change, depending on the mood I'm in. I don't necessarily want to listen to different music, but to feel differently when hearing it.

Edit: I'll try. Will probably buy her a good set for Christmas or something. Problem is, she rarely listens to music of some weird reason, and she loves my "Mickey mouse"-like, cheap Sony hp's, which I can't remember the name of. They are. EXTREMELY comfortable though, so it will probably be a hard sell :smile:

May 31, 2015 at 12:13 AM Post #4,254 of 14,386
Try a original momentum on-ear, you can get them really cheap now that the new version is out.  I've bought 6 of them from Amazon warehouse for anywhere from $52 to $60 for like new quality or very good quality, gave them as birthday presents for friends.  Only thing I've been told by others is that for some women their hair gets tangled up sometimes.

May 31, 2015 at 12:45 AM Post #4,255 of 14,386
I got my wife the momentum on ears v1 for precisely the same reason and it did help.
But after hearing the he-400i, she had a tough time going back. I don't think we can afford both of us engaging in the same hobby :grinning:

Try a original momentum on-ear, you can get them really cheap now that the new version is out.  I've bought 6 of them from Amazon warehouse for anywhere from $52 to $60 for like new quality or very good quality, gave them as birthday presents for friends.  Only thing I've been told by others is that for some women their hair gets tangled up sometimes.

May 31, 2015 at 1:50 AM Post #4,256 of 14,386
How's the imaging/Soundstage of the HE-400i vs. my current HE-400.
I want to upgrade, and HIFIMAN support is letting me, but I fear that the HE-400i's more forward mids and other new features hurt its soundstage.
Many reviewers say that the HE-400i's sound seems trapped in the headphones, nearly closed sounding compared to the open and airy soundstage the HE-400 has that makes it seem as though sounds pop up all around you, as if they are in the room with you. I game with these a lot, so positional and open audio is very important to me.
Can anyone here vouch for this comparison of the HE-400 vs. HE-400i's soundstage and give me some insight?
I want to upgrade to get rid of my HE-400's uncomfortable design the headband bends, and never fits my head the same as they once did (they don't even clamp on my head anymore)

May 31, 2015 at 3:00 AM Post #4,257 of 14,386
  I bought HE400i  yesterday, and after HD600 I am not that impressed.  bass seems to be more prominent but I can not see upgrade in definition. and somewhere in midrange I can hear hardness and distortion... also soundstage is clearly worse

Using with Dragonfly and Magni as an amp... I am driving them with enough power? ... may be better amp can do magic ...

Obvious differences: He400i is faster, has a blacker background and more bass extension. I have never heard hardness and distortion on mine driven with a Fiio X3II, sounds like a defective unit to me.

May 31, 2015 at 3:10 AM Post #4,258 of 14,386
I want to upgrade, and HIFIMAN support is letting me, but I fear that the HE-400i's more forward mids and other new features hurt its soundstage.
Many reviewers say that the HE-400i's sound seems trapped in the headphones, nearly closed sounding compared to the open and airy soundstage the HE-400 has that makes it seem as though sounds pop up all around you, as if they are in the room with you. I game with these a lot, so positional and open audio is very important to me.
Can anyone here vouch for this comparison of the HE-400 vs. HE-400i's soundstage and give me some insight?
I want to upgrade to get rid of my HE-400's uncomfortable design the headband bends, and never fits my head the same as they once did (they don't even clamp on my head anymore)

Well I'd give the 400i the edge in clarity and in resolution. But if a more open, airy sound with a bigger soundstage is your biggest concern, stick with the 400.

May 31, 2015 at 3:30 AM Post #4,259 of 14,386

@jkteddy77, honestly I think that the technically differences in sound stage isn't has important as overall sound signature and comfort. You will adjust to the size of the sound stage of the headphones. The more important thing is the headphones' imaging abilities (how well they localize particular sounds) for FPS and gaming. It's like listening to speakers in a small room vs a slightly larger room, you can game extremely well in both rooms as long as positional cues are well-represented. The HE-400i does have quite good imaging abilities. I can't do any direct comparisons between them as I haven't owned both at the same time.

that being said, I would recommend making your decision based on the sound signature (frequency response) differences between the headphones. That will impact your listening enjoyment much more than sound stage. Comfort will also affect your usage of the headphones everyday as if headphones are uncomfortable, they will not get used. Hope this info is helpful! cheers

May 31, 2015 at 6:34 AM Post #4,260 of 14,386
I got my wife the momentum on ears v1 for precisely the same reason and it did help.
But after hearing the he-400i, she had a tough time going back. I don't think we can afford both of us engaging in the same hobby :grinning:

You have a good problem if your wife also likes headphones
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back