Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
May 26, 2015 at 2:22 AM Post #4,186 of 14,386
Well if you're wondering about power requirements, you'll have like 10 times more than you need. As far as synergy I haven't used the NFB 15 but based on those specs, it could power a few 400is at the same time.520RanchBro

Should I be worried?

Oh certainly nothing to worry about, you won't blow the headphones unless you crank way past remotely bearable listening levels. But power-wise, you'll have way more than you need. Always helpful for if you end up wanting harder to drive headphones.

May 26, 2015 at 6:21 AM Post #4,188 of 14,386
  So if I try using then as mini speeker's and set the NFB 15 to high gain max I'll break them?

Why would you even try that on 500 dollar headphones man.  I get that they're open so they leak sound but they're headphones so their frequency curve isn't even like those of speakers since they're compensated to not factor in how the human body reflects sound.

May 26, 2015 at 6:24 AM Post #4,189 of 14,386

Why would you even try that on 500 dollar headphones man.  I get that they're open so they leak sound but they're headphones so their frequency curve isn't even like those of speakers since they're compensated to not factor in how the human body reflects sound.

Sometimes I feel like it and I need to know, tbh I don't have any speakers right now.

May 26, 2015 at 6:26 AM Post #4,190 of 14,386
  Sometimes I feel like it and I need to know, tbh I don't have any speakers right now.

Just buy speakers man. Even cheap logitech pc speakers under 50 dollars would sound better than the HE400i if used as speakers.

May 26, 2015 at 6:53 AM Post #4,192 of 14,386
hifimans lists an official spec of 6w for maximum power handling on their website. i perosnally wldnt try to test that number. it is quite a lot of power

May 26, 2015 at 7:12 AM Post #4,194 of 14,386
So im a 100% safe, except for my ears?

u will probably damage ur ears b4 u damage ur drivers, but if u are plannin on using the he400i as 'speakers' that is highly NOT recommended.

May 26, 2015 at 7:18 AM Post #4,195 of 14,386
u will probably damage ur ears be4 u damage ur drivers, but if u are plannin on useing the he400i as 'speakers' that is highly NOT recommended.

Okay okay I won't in any way use my headphones as speakers, you's nailed that to my head, im just so happy that I won't accidently break them
deadhorse.gif

May 26, 2015 at 10:16 AM Post #4,196 of 14,386
At the risk of confusing you further and tbh, for my enjoyment as I was in the same boat a little while back, my wife did comment that the he-400i are like speakers because she knew every song I was playing from across the room even from an iPad set to half the volume.
BTW, these phones sound absolutely divine with an iPad (air if you must know) compared to an emotiva dc-1 or the Dragonfly v1.2. Anybody with a similar experience or any theories as to why?

Okay okay I won't in any way use my headphones as speakers, you's nailed that to my head, im just so happy that I won't accidently break them:deadhorse:  .

May 26, 2015 at 10:21 AM Post #4,197 of 14,386
At the risk of confusing you further and tbh, for my enjoyment as I was in the same boat a little while back, my wife did comment that the he-400i are like speakers because she knew every song I was playing from across the room even from an iPad set to half the volume.
BTW, these phones sound absolutely divine with an iPad (air if you must know) compared to an emotiva dc-1 or the Dragonfly v1.2. Anybody with a similar experience or any theories as to why?

the he-400i are quite easy to drive and the iPad already has quite good dac (iirc from science forum ppl). some external amplifier/dac combos add their personal coloration to your chain, which you may or not prefer :)

May 26, 2015 at 11:34 AM Post #4,198 of 14,386
Thanks money4me247. So the HE-400i is my first "high-end" headphone compared to my previous purchases. I own the Philips Fidelio L1 and Vmoda XS. Which brings me to the billion dollar question- is it the amp or is it the DAC? Two, perhaps complementary/related reasons why I am thinking like this:
1) IIRC, the iPad etc have a minimum phase DAC filter with no pre-ringing, whereas the DC-1 and the AQ Dragonfly have a linear phase filter with pre- and post-ringing.
2) Except the EF-6, Hifiman sells mostly tube amps which might sound very good with their (bright) phones.   

It would appear that both factors have an effect on smoothing out the high frequency response. Any thoughts?

BTW, thanks for the rep, matthew720. 

Quote:
  the he-400i are quite easy to drive and the iPad already has quite good dac (iirc from science forum ppl). some external amplifier/dac combos add their personal coloration to your chain, which you may or not prefer :)

May 26, 2015 at 1:12 PM Post #4,199 of 14,386
Four quick questions for you HE-400i owners out there:
1. How does the bass compare to the HE-400s and other basshead cans like, but not limited to the M100s/DT770s/etc.?
2. I hear the soundstage is its weakness...is that true, and if anyone has tried or owns the DT990s can you compare the soundstage of both of them?
3. Another one for the DT990 owners or those that have tried them. Do they sound airy at all like the DT990s?
4. I also hear these aren't difficult to drive, can something portable and relatively weak like the E11K handle them with good volume?

May 26, 2015 at 1:20 PM Post #4,200 of 14,386
  I was just think how far can i push these that's all, just so i can feel safe with my headset connected to my dac/amp.

You will be perfectly safe if you use your head a bit... common sense is a marvelous thing.
The 400i will suck as a speaker... I would not ever play them any louder than you would listen with them on your head.
Not sure I would by an amp based on the fact that it is designed to protect me from doing something stupid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back