Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Feb 23, 2015 at 2:59 PM Post #3,500 of 14,386
So, I happened to have an extra set of clip-ons from a set of Focus pads I destroyed while modding. Managed to get the Shure alcantara pads on there, and...

Haven't had much time to compare the differences in sound, but I do like what I'm hearing.

Feb 23, 2015 at 3:50 PM Post #3,502 of 14,386
  So, I happened to have an extra set of clip-ons from a set of Focus pads I destroyed while modding. Managed to get the Shure alcantara pads on there, and...

Haven't had much time to compare the differences in sound, but I do like what I'm hearing.

I only had the Shures on my 400i for a short while. I vaguely remember not caring for the change and removing them, going back to the FocusPads. I'm about to mod my FocusPad-A pair shortly.

Feb 23, 2015 at 4:01 PM Post #3,503 of 14,386

I only had the Shures on my 400i for a short while. I vaguely remember not caring for the change and removing them, going back to the FocusPads. I'm about to mod my FocusPad-A pair shortly.

I can see why. After a slight comparison, the alcantaras add bass at the expense of a little air/soundstage.

Feb 23, 2015 at 4:46 PM Post #3,504 of 14,386

i dont know about exactly $400, but i know they do go cheaper in china. even somebody on reddit got one for $450. and i believe he's in the us or canada or somewhere.

Hahaha that was me. Got them for $450 at a local independent hifi shop in Cambridge, MA. Was super surprised they were on discount.

Feb 23, 2015 at 5:48 PM Post #3,505 of 14,386
I just ordered my today via Amazon/Prime with next day delivery. The only thing that pisses me off is that i ordered it around 2pm it is now 6pm and i still have yet to see an order confirmation, nor did they withdrawl any money from my account. When i clicked add to cart it stated very clearly that if i ordered before 4pm that it would be delivered tuesday, which as of this moment it doesnt look good. I will be happy with wednesday if they would just update the friggin order.

Feb 23, 2015 at 6:48 PM Post #3,506 of 14,386

Hahaha that was me. Got them for $450 at a local independent hifi shop in Cambridge, MA. Was super surprised they were on discount.

Nice!
Was it a public discount, or more like a personal discount?
Man, i regret paying $505 for these. But since the 6th to today, the 23rd, the exchange rate got so much worse, the same amount of money now exchanged to $488 haha.
Not bad.

Feb 23, 2015 at 9:44 PM Post #3,507 of 14,386

Nice!
Was it a public discount, or more like a personal discount?
Man, i regret paying $505 for these. But since the 6th to today, the 23rd, the exchange rate got so much worse, the same amount of money now exchanged to $488 haha.
Not bad.

Public discount. I definitely wasn't expecting it. After tax it climbed up a bit but still, a discount is a discount!

Feb 24, 2015 at 12:09 AM Post #3,509 of 14,386
A slight comparison with the K7XX that I posted in another thread...

Okay, after playing with the alcantaras for a short while I quickly went back to the Focus pads on the 400i so I can start comparing to the K7XX. Based on short impressions, the two are far more similar than different. The K7XX has slightly more bass, soundstage, and treble. The obvious difference, and yet still slightly, is the 400i having more forward mids, and man are they beautiful. So clear, so smooth, and yet gentle on the ears. I've been needing a headphone with forward mids that doesn't bore me, and I think I have found it. Though, I would consider the 400i to be more neutral than mid-centric when compared to something like the MA900 and such (mainly because of the more present treble on the 400i).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back