Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Oct 20, 2014 at 2:09 AM Post #2,536 of 14,386
  Has anybody tried their 400i straight out of an iPod Classic? I'm really curious as I have one coming in...

The closest thing that I've done to this is to drive my 400i's out my phone, and it sounded pretty decent. Since the iPod Classic most likely has sound quality that is better than my phone, I'd say you'd probably get a pretty decent experience.

Oct 20, 2014 at 3:03 AM Post #2,537 of 14,386
I drive them regularly with iPad mini retina and Deezer. No complaints (mainly listen to good production classical and jazz). The sound from flac/dac/fiio is maybe a bit smoother and composed, but is quite liberating that I can move anywhere with just HP and iPad.

Oct 20, 2014 at 1:33 PM Post #2,539 of 14,386
Sounds good, although I think I will still need a portable amp in the future, but it's good to know that for now I will still get good sound straight from the iPod.

Still haven't made my mind up on a good portable amp though.
Does anyone have an opinion on whether the new Sciit Fulla will drive the HE-401i adequately? Schiit claims it will output 300mw into 32Ohms, is this enough?

Oct 22, 2014 at 9:40 AM Post #2,542 of 14,386
Anyone think they so und better after burn in..I was told 150 hrs..

I noticed a change in the first 80 hours or so.  After that they seemed to settle in.

Maybe placebo.  Maybe not.

Too me the sound smoothed out a bit.  A little more refined/less aggressive sounding,

Oct 22, 2014 at 12:09 PM Post #2,545 of 14,386
Has anyone purchased the HE-560 traveling case for this?  I'm assuming it will fit, but would like some confirmation.

I would like to get someone to comment on this as well. I would think that the case would fit the 400i, as the dimensions are very close, but they still list it as "Travel Case for HE 560".

I hate to buy one and then have to return it.

Oct 22, 2014 at 12:10 PM Post #2,546 of 14,386
I would like to get someone to comment on this as well. I would think that the case would fit the 400i, as the dimensions are very close, but they still list it as "Travel Case for HE 560".

I hate to buy one and then have to return it.

I sent a PM to HFM this morning.  I'll let everyone know once I hear back.

Oct 22, 2014 at 1:03 PM Post #2,547 of 14,386
They remind me of a perfectly integrated sealed Rythmik sub that one only notices when it's not on.  Perfect balance, and when a song or soundtrack has meaningful content below 40 Hz, it is quite impressive. 

Mmmm rythmik sub. . Can't wait till February when I get mine! Unless you're a dyi'er or can afford Seaton, there's no other way to go if you want to hear down to 10

Oct 22, 2014 at 5:21 PM Post #2,550 of 14,386
Huh.  Listening to Alice Cooper's "Welcome to my Nightmare"- Jriver to FiiO to the 460i's.  I still am amazed at the sound quality, detail, clarity and all-around awesomeness out of these $500 planars.

Not trying to equate it to TOTL Summit stuff.  But man, this is some serious mid-fi action I'm hearing.  Oh, and I forgot how good the production is on this recording. Great end to a brutal work day!

edit update: the orchestration and performance on "Black Widow" is stellar.  The brass 'blats' have respectable texture. In fact, next up might be some Canadian Brass just to, well, just because.

These headphones are kinda leaving my Grado's in the dust right now with the classic rock stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back