Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Sep 20, 2014 at 6:49 PM Post #2,161 of 14,386
Ok. It's not my cup of tea due to its suboptimal performance, in my opinion, when I evaluated it against other good headphones, during a week of comparative listening. It was the new Rs1e version.

Only reason I mentioned it is because people can read it and dismiss the Grado RS1 while it's actually a great headphone for rock (and other genres for that matter). A statement like that can steer them away from a headphone that might be their best choice. But yeah, you either love or hate the Grado sound. For you it was a definite miss, for me a hit. 

However I love the Hifiman sound too. HE-500 are still my favorite headphones to date. I will be getting the HE-400i and probably be done for a while. Although I tend to say that a lot haha 
tongue.gif

Sep 20, 2014 at 7:52 PM Post #2,162 of 14,386
Yes I was just comparing sub bass. EDM is full of it, all depends on your genres. I also like jazz with upright bass - hits the low tones frequently.

I got you, but the lowest fundamental of a double bass is about 32 HZ (low C3), but there is really not much energy there. In a room that drops off very quickly at any distance. If the instrument is not close miked, I doubt that it makes it to the recording. If it does, it is likely EQd out of the master. You like what you hear, which is the harmonics.. as do I.
I commented previously about how much I like the sound of an upright bass on the 400i! Nothing I have heard is that close to the real thing, but the 400i is satisfying in its rendition.

EDM is bass heavy. I need to fire up some of the stuff I have and see what is really there on the bottom once it  makes it to our playback systems. I would guess that there is not lots of true sub bass there either.

Sep 20, 2014 at 8:34 PM Post #2,163 of 14,386
I got you, but the lowest fundamental of a double bass is about 32 HZ (low C3), but there is really not much energy there. In a room that drops off very quickly at any distance. If the instrument is not close miked, I doubt that it makes it to the recording. If it does, it is likely EQd out of the master. You like what you hear, which is the harmonics.. as do I.
I commented previously about how much I like the sound of an upright bass on the 400i! Nothing I have heard is that close to the real thing, but the 400i is satisfying in its rendition.

EDM is bass heavy. I need to fire up some of the stuff I have and see what is really there on the bottom once it  makes it to our playback systems. I would guess that there is not lots of true sub bass there either.

Then you're listening to the wrong stuff :wink:
I'm also calling anything up to 60 Hz sub bass for my purposes.

Sep 20, 2014 at 9:15 PM Post #2,164 of 14,386

Have any recommendations for analysis... and auditioning with the 400i ??

Sep 20, 2014 at 9:21 PM Post #2,165 of 14,386
Razordog says they are shipped, but will have to wait until Monday to get tracking info. Not sure where they are, but hope they get here quick!

Sep 20, 2014 at 9:58 PM Post #2,166 of 14,386

Quote:
  Only reason I mentioned it is because people can read it and dismiss the Grado RS1 while it's actually a great headphone for rock (and other genres for that matter). A statement like that can steer them away from a headphone that might be their best choice. But yeah, you either love or hate the Grado sound. For you it was a definite miss, for me a hit. 

However I love the Hifiman sound too. HE-500 are still my favorite headphones to date. I will be getting the HE-400i and probably be done for a while. Although I tend to say that a lot haha 
tongue.gif

The forum is for opinions, hopefully informed and reasonable ones, which I tried to do.  You can read my review of the Rs1e at the head-fi thread Grado Labs NEW e series headphones and loaner program!  (post 172).  I own/have owned Grado SR-60 and iGrado and like them very much.  Was looking forward to the Rs1e with positive expectations.  Was sorry that I was disappointed in them.  If you dig them, then great, enjoy!

Sep 21, 2014 at 6:39 AM Post #2,167 of 14,386
Heads up... 400i shipped from razor dog usps requires a signiture on delivery... was all excited to get my 400i and when I got home. All there was. Was a note saying to ..pick up at postal service the next day.

Sep 21, 2014 at 2:42 PM Post #2,168 of 14,386
Anyone compared. The dt880 600ohm version to the 400i? My gaming headphones broke and I've got a chance to get the beyers for around $200. .I love a lot of detail and not false detail due to treble spikes but rather a nice refined driver able to pick details up in the treble region too. I'd rather not have a superfast driver with huge dynamics but love good out of head soundstage. I don't mind a little coloration of texture. Should I just get the 880s for gaming and save for the 400i or just save now for the the 400i or hd600. I have an asgard

Sep 21, 2014 at 3:00 PM Post #2,169 of 14,386
Doing some easy Sunday afternoon listening with the HE-400i, Geek Out 1000 and various HD Tracks (Bob Marley's Legend; Eagle's Studio Albums; Clark Terry's One on One).  Deep wonderful bass. Smooth transparent highs.

Sep 21, 2014 at 4:28 PM Post #2,170 of 14,386
Anyone compared. The dt880 600ohm version to the 400i? My gaming headphones broke and I've got a chance to get the beyers for around $200. .I love a lot of detail and not false detail due to treble spikes but rather a nice refined driver able to pick details up in the treble region too. I'd rather not have a superfast driver with huge dynamics but love good out of head soundstage. I don't mind a little coloration of texture. Should I just get the 880s for gaming and save for the 400i or just save now for the the 400i or hd600. I have an asgard

I have an Asgard as well and just sold my 880s that I've had as my main headphones for 2 years.  They really are fantastic headphones.

After listening to the 400i for a few weeks, however, and then going back to my 880s...it was just no contest.  The 880s sounded flat and 2-dimensional in comparison.

Sep 21, 2014 at 4:52 PM Post #2,171 of 14,386

I would get the Dt 880 600 ohm headphone for gaming and save up for HE-400I, to use for everything else.

Sep 21, 2014 at 5:15 PM Post #2,172 of 14,386
Hi guys!
I would like to get some info about those cans. I was listening to them at shop, connected to Schiits Lyr 2 and Bitfrost. The sound for me(listening flacs from ripped CDs, mainly metal and rock), was the best of what i compared(He400, Ultrasone PRO2900 and T90), BUT still it was bright(I Am Hell by Machine Head, which is very dark, full, even fat sound with very wide soundstage wasn't really that heavy), it lacked the punch and the "meat". Do you think that using other DAC and AMP can fix it? Salesman said, that those are pretty bright, so maybe it is the reason?

Sep 21, 2014 at 6:12 PM Post #2,174 of 14,386
I absolutely hate the he-400 everything about that headphone was fatiguing. Too fast for me, too much body in the bass and highs, peaky upper mid that shouted in my ears which I mainly managed to fix with some modification of my own. Is the he400i as fast as the 400?Or slower like the 500?

Sep 21, 2014 at 6:38 PM Post #2,175 of 14,386
  Hi guys!
I would like to get some info about those cans. I was listening to them at shop, connected to Schiits Lyr 2 and Bitfrost. The sound for me(listening flacs from ripped CDs, mainly metal and rock), was the best of what i compared(He400, Ultrasone PRO2900 and T90), BUT still it was bright(I Am Hell by Machine Head, which is very dark, full, even fat sound with very wide soundstage wasn't really that heavy), it lacked the punch and the "meat". Do you think that using other DAC and AMP can fix it? Salesman said, that those are pretty bright, so maybe it is the reason?

I'd guess the salesman was reaching for straws.  Bifrost and Lyr are neither bright nor dark, they should make the music sound the way it sounds.  Perhaps you are used to a headphone that's pretty dark, or prefer that sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back