Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Sep 4, 2014 at 3:03 PM Post #1,711 of 14,386
Anyone here heard both the HE-400i and T50rp II/Alpha Dog/Variants together or near the same time? I want to know if the 400i is harder to drive because I'm debating on whether or not I should get an E12 for portable use because I'm considering buying a new DAP, maybe Fiio's X3.

Sep 4, 2014 at 3:12 PM Post #1,713 of 14,386
  The he400i is pretty easy to drive, the volume knob is not much higher than when I use the he300 or sennheiser momentums.

I might just wait and try to use them with my Sansa Clip+ then, compare how it sounds on my Magni. 

Sep 4, 2014 at 3:15 PM Post #1,714 of 14,386
Yeh I know that's what you meant, it just seems like it's not any problem. Much less a drastic one. Plus, I imagine HiFiMan, the builders of both the stand and the headphone, know what they are doing.

Yeah well... I guess it's just me then. I just can't stand the sight of that. Call me obsessive... 

Sep 4, 2014 at 5:08 PM Post #1,716 of 14,386
"Can Be" is an opinion based statement....can a Hyndai pull a locomotive, can a etc. etc etc...Can this headphone be driven without an amp, sure it can, can a low powered cheapo amp make it louder, sure it can....Can it do it WHELL is another point entirely....My experience - NO, solunds lack luster without any amp, louder but still lackluster with a cheapo Fiio, or even HIFIMANS bargain priced EF2A, and you'll either think you got a defective hp, or think something is actually wrong with you, because you don't see what all the other bloggers are raving about.....However, pair it with an amp like the lyr, or better yet the Violectric HPA-V200.......and NOW you have the outstanding headphone you thought you were paying for....Can't afford the amp ? don't spend a penny for now, thinking you'll upgrade your set up latter and pair the hp with an amp when you have the chance....You'll get the HP, probably be very disapointed, then cause of that, never get the amp at all, thinking you know what, this whole audiophile stuff is over-rated....Save your pennys, to you can buy both at the same time....Then - you'll be like WOW---all the while bypassing that stage of being an unhappy owner of a awesome, but un-amped hp.

Sep 4, 2014 at 6:01 PM Post #1,717 of 14,386
  "Can Be" is an opinion based statement....can a Hyndai pull a locomotive, can a etc. etc etc...Can this headphone be driven without an amp, sure it can, can a low powered cheapo amp make it louder, sure it can....Can it do it WHELL is another point entirely....My experience - NO, solunds lack luster without any amp, louder but still lackluster with a cheapo Fiio, or even HIFIMANS bargain priced EF2A, and you'll either think you got a defective hp, or think something is actually wrong with you, because you don't see what all the other bloggers are raving about.....However, pair it with an amp like the lyr, or better yet the Violectric HPA-V200.......and NOW you have the outstanding headphone you thought you were paying for....Can't afford the amp ? don't spend a penny for now, thinking you'll upgrade your set up latter and pair the hp with an amp when you have the chance....You'll get the HP, probably be very disapointed, then cause of that, never get the amp at all, thinking you know what, this whole audiophile stuff is over-rated....Save your pennys, to you can buy both at the same time....Then - you'll be like WOW---all the while bypassing that stage of being an unhappy owner of a awesome, but un-amped hp.

100% right!!!
I think my iCAN micro is enough to get some enjoyment out of the HE-400i's.

Not all audiophile stuff is over-rated, but there is a stuff  
biggrin.gif

Sep 4, 2014 at 7:37 PM Post #1,719 of 14,386
400i sounds good out of an iMac.  You don't need a Lyr or V200 to make it sound good.

There is a difference between an amp that sounds better and an amp that has more power.  The former will make your headphone sound better, the latter will make no difference if you're barely even using 10% of that power.

Sep 4, 2014 at 7:40 PM Post #1,720 of 14,386
  I might just wait and try to use them with my Sansa Clip+ then, compare how it sounds on my Magni. 

I have listened to them straight out of a Sansa Fuze. They do OK, actually not bad at all,especially considering the casual listening that I do when running around with that device in my pocket and the 400i on my head. I haven't made the Fuze run out of juice yet. Of course, I have not felt the need to really push it in this configuration.
:)

This enjoyment criteria. Not sure what to do with that. I quite enjoy using the Fuze with the 400i. I have other gear that may make it a bit more enjoyable (More like just sounds a bit better to me). Of course, none of those easily fit in a shirt pocket and run for 10 hours on a charge. This is quite enjoyable to me... so is what I paid for the Fuze... !!

Sep 4, 2014 at 9:01 PM Post #1,721 of 14,386
  Anyone here heard both the HE-400i and T50rp II/Alpha Dog/Variants together or near the same time? I want to know if the 400i is harder to drive because I'm debating on whether or not I should get an E12 for portable use because I'm considering buying a new DAP, maybe Fiio's X3.

If you're talking about whether one's harder to drive than the other, I can only tell you than the Mad Dog sounded very good out of an HTC One (but then again, that's not a normal phone because its headphone amp is actually decently powerful and decently high quality). Basically, the T50rp and its variants don't take much to drive but will benefit from some kind of amping. Judging from the other comments here, it seems like this is also the case for the 400i.

Sep 4, 2014 at 9:57 PM Post #1,722 of 14,386
My HE400i just came in yesterday, ordered directly from Hifiman. They sound pretty nice even just out of box, great bass, vocals are very prominent, probably too prominent sometimes (compared to my other headphones). Highs are not as sparkling as the HE560 or K701, and this is pretty obvious when listening to some instruments like violin and Guzheng (a Chinese plucked zither). But they are great for guitars, love them with Mark Knopfler (one of my favorite singers). 

I feel these are a bit lack of transparency comparing with HE560, separation isn't as good as HE560, but still pretty nice, sound stage is a bit smaller too. Their prominent mids and great bass make them really shine with certain musics, great for movies too. Hope a couple of days burn in will fine tune the sound a bit further. Will try to post some reviews after a week or so. 

BTW, they are quite a bit easier to drive than the HE560, but definitely not as easy as most portable headphones (ED8, T5p, V-Modas ...). iPhone can make them sing, but they really shine w/ HM901 (with discrete amp card), and of course on desktop setups. 

Sep 4, 2014 at 10:24 PM Post #1,723 of 14,386
  ...vocals are very prominent, probably too prominent sometimes (compared to my other headphones). 

I was having some issues with hot vocals (mostly female) on some tracks, but this seems to have calmed down a bit over the past few days.  About 72 hours in now.

Whether that's actual physical break-in or my own mental break-in, I don't know.  And, frankly, I don't care.  
tongue.gif

Sep 4, 2014 at 10:29 PM Post #1,724 of 14,386

I was having some issues with hot vocals (mostly female) on some tracks, but this seems to have calmed down a bit over the past few days.  About 72 hours in now.

Whether that's actual physical break-in or my own mental break-in, I don't know.  And, frankly, I don't care.  
tongue.gif

Yeah it takes a while to get used to that mid prominent sound. vocals still sound kinda "shouty" to me.

Sep 4, 2014 at 10:33 PM Post #1,725 of 14,386
  Yeah it takes a while to get used to that mid prominent sound. vocals still sound kinda "shouty" to me.

It's VERY track specific.  95% of the tracks I listen to - no problem at all with the vocals.  They sound "right".

Certain recordings, though...old Billie Holiday stuff, for example, can hit me as a little harsh at times.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back