Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Aug 26, 2014 at 8:01 PM Post #1,411 of 14,386
How well does the sub-bass/bass EQ to get it 400/LCD-2-like ?

I'm all about sub-bass/bass with cans, lush liquid planar mids next.... I'm no neutral monitor fan.

Aug 26, 2014 at 8:13 PM Post #1,413 of 14,386
I've spent about a month trying to find the words to strictly ask what I'm trying to find. I think I have finally found them and I hope someone can relate.

My taste have changed a great deal over the last 40ish years. Four years spent in England had a great deal to do with that.

In the long past, I was more attracted to a "West Coast" sound represented by say, a set of JBL speakers. I now prefer a more accurate "British" sound.

It seems the 400i may be a blend of the two, which is absolutely acceptable to me. If the music can't be a little fun, it won't be very interesting to me. Can I conclude that these cans will keep me entertained with a sound that puts female vocals snuggled up and singing in my ear and no one else?

That's the best way I can describe what I'm after.

Aug 26, 2014 at 8:31 PM Post #1,414 of 14,386
I've spent about a month trying to find the words to strictly ask what I'm trying to find. I think I have finally found them and I hope someone can relate.

My taste have changed a great deal over the last 40ish years. Four years spent in England had a great deal to do with that.

In the long past, I was more attracted to a "West Coast" sound represented by say, a set of JBL speakers. I now prefer a more accurate "British" sound.

It seems the 400i may be a blend of the two, which is absolutely acceptable to me. If the music can't be a little fun, it won't be very interesting to me. Can I conclude that these cans will keep me entertained with a sound that puts female vocals snuggled up and singing in my ear and no one else?

Wow. That sums up my wants rather nicely. The 560's did remind me of British voicing. A little JBL or even Cerwin Vega would be nice!

Aug 26, 2014 at 8:51 PM Post #1,415 of 14,386
Ive received mine today
wink.gif
Will try to compare them with re 272
cool.gif
but not sure if that would be fair coz 272s have more than 1000 hours on them.. but first burn in for 150 hours.
lets see..

Aug 26, 2014 at 8:56 PM Post #1,416 of 14,386
Nicely put!  Ditto on that for me.  I've actually made the HD800 sound fun with my DAC/AMP Combo with the right tubes.  Given that, I'm going to get a pair of HE400i as soon as my RS1i sell.  At that point, I think that I'll be pretty much done with the exception of a SS amp.
Really looking forward to testing/using the HE400i with the AK100 DAP for around the house and maybe travelling.

Quote:

Aug 26, 2014 at 9:30 PM Post #1,417 of 14,386
Whew!

I was afraid I would be ridiculed for my choice of words. Here's a little more specifically what I want. My favorite CD is The Trinity Session by the Cowboy Junkies.

I want Margo Timmons to be wrapped up in my arms and singing this album, uh, CD, in my ear. (It sucks getting old!).

I have this with my speaker setup. I'm trying to recreate it with phones, since I'm in an apartment now. My Magneplanar 1.6's (finally replaced by the 1.7's) are exceptional at this.

I'm hoping the same technology translates down to the 400i's.

Aug 26, 2014 at 9:38 PM Post #1,418 of 14,386
Whew!

I was afraid I would be ridiculed for my choice of words. Here's a little more specifically what I want. My favorite CD is The Trinity Session by the Cowboy Junkies.

I want Margo Timmons to be wrapped up in my arms and singing this album, uh, CD, in my ear. (It sucks getting old!).

I have this with my speaker setup. I'm trying to recreate it with phones, since I'm in an apartment now. My Magneplanar 1.6's (finally replaced by the 1.7's) are exceptional at this.

I'm hoping the same technology translates down to the 400i's.

I love that album too.  The Trinity Revisited album (with DVD too) is really good too, unlike many sequels.  And yep, albums are albums, whatever the size & shape of the media.

Aug 26, 2014 at 9:55 PM Post #1,419 of 14,386
Something has been bothering me about the consistency of the impressions offered.  From what I have read, the HE400i is on par with the HE500 in many ways.  Nevertheless, it has also been described as a "side-grade" from the HD650.  I was under the impression that the HE500 was CLEARLY superior to the HD650 and only a half-step behind the best of the best (HE-6, LCD2.2, etc).

What am I missing here? 

Aug 26, 2014 at 10:02 PM Post #1,420 of 14,386
  Something has been bothering me about the consistency of the impressions offered.  From what I have read, the HE400i is on par with the HE500 in many ways.  Nevertheless, it has also been described as a "side-grade" from the HD650.  I was under the impression that the HE500 was CLEARLY superior to the HD650 and only a half-step behind the best of the best (HE-6, LCD2.2, etc).

What am I missing here? 

Subjective impressions...one man's intimate sound-stage is another's cramped soundstage.

Aug 26, 2014 at 10:05 PM Post #1,421 of 14,386
I love that album too.  The Trinity Revisited album (with DVD too) is really good too, unlike many sequels.  And yep, albums are albums, whatever the size & shape of the media.

Bill, haven't heard about "Trinity Revisited", I will look that up stat! Thanks, also love the original album, thanks :beers::cocktail::tropical_drink::wine_glass:!

Aug 26, 2014 at 11:32 PM Post #1,423 of 14,386

What am I missing here? 

Your missing that there are a range of opinions and preferences. And that things aren't perfectly linear. If I think A is better than B and you think B is better than C, my friend Brian won't necessarily agree that A is better than C.

Aug 27, 2014 at 4:43 AM Post #1,424 of 14,386
  bass, and soundstage are bothering me..

what is your experience with headphones? I mean what is your main point of comparison? 
For instance if you tell me lack of bass vs. Denon D7000 or Audeze, then I would understand, if you are coming from DT880 (just an example) then I'm in trouble as I've just placed my order for HE-400i.
Thanks

Aug 27, 2014 at 4:57 AM Post #1,425 of 14,386
I'm also wondering the same thing....I'm coming from the DT990 Premium cans. This will be my first planar headphone so I'm a bit uncertain over which headphone to choose. I'm satisfied with the bass in the DT990 (maybe slightly more sub-bass would be nice). What I love about them though is the wide soundstage! Would the HE-400i be an upgrade in thouse regards?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back