Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Jun 25, 2014 at 11:32 PM Post #436 of 14,386
  This might be a shot in the dark, but one of the obvious selling points of the HE-400i aside from the sound is the comfort. Does anyone have experience with the 400i and the AD900? Those are the first high-end headphones I bought, and their comfort still can't be matched by any other can, even Beyerdynamic.

I don't exactly have the AD900, but I do have the Sennheiser HD598, which many regard as extremely comfortable. I can definitely tell you that the 400i is not lacking in comfort compared to the HD598. When I demoed it and listened to it for about a half-hour straight, I didn't feel any fatigue on my head at all. I'm confident that I could wear the 400i for hours without any discomfort. And even though the 400i weighs something like 12-13 oz, it sure doesn't feel like that - the weight is distributed extremely well across your head.

Jun 26, 2014 at 12:02 AM Post #438 of 14,386
I owned the HD600 and I actually found it rather uncomfortable solely due to the clamping force. Maybe I just have a big head.

I found the 600 uncomfortable just for that sole reason as well (though I know I've got a big head too) I imagine some headband stretching would help. But man those 400i... I don't know who the industrial designer was they hired for comfort consulting on those but they must have been an ex-sleep number or Tempurpedic worker because I could fall asleep with those on my head!

Jun 26, 2014 at 12:23 AM Post #439 of 14,386
From the photos are the 400i black or deep purple ? Has the color been decided ?

Jun 26, 2014 at 1:15 AM Post #441 of 14,386
I found the 600 uncomfortable just for that sole reason as well (though I know I've got a big head too) I imagine some headband stretching would help. But man those 400i... I don't know who the industrial designer was they hired for comfort consulting on those but they must have been an ex-sleep number or Tempurpedic worker because I could fall asleep with those on my head!

Totally agree with this.

Jun 26, 2014 at 4:06 PM Post #442 of 14,386
  From the photos are the 400i black or deep purple ? Has the color been decided ?

If the color stays the same as what it was at the meet, they are a (in my opinion) very nice black chrome type color. It's hard to see in some of the pictures of them that are out there, but they are definitely black.

Jun 26, 2014 at 7:09 PM Post #444 of 14,386
  If the color stays the same as what it was at the meet, they are a (in my opinion) very nice black chrome type color. It's hard to see in some of the pictures of them that are out there, but they are definitely black.

Chrome black finish, single-ended drivers, very lightweight for an orthodynamic headphone => inspired by the HE-4? 
wink.gif

Jun 27, 2014 at 5:01 PM Post #446 of 14,386
I wonder if the 400i will come in the same packaging as the 560... Anyone know?

Jun 27, 2014 at 5:05 PM Post #447 of 14,386

No clue, I would doubt it though (price difference of headphones), but I could be wrong.  I do know, from what I asked at Chicago, that they will ship with the older cable style the 560 pre-productions came with; they aren't fabric.  Pads should be identical though. 

Jun 27, 2014 at 5:42 PM Post #448 of 14,386

No clue, I would doubt it though (price difference of headphones), but I could be wrong.  I do know, from what I asked at Chicago, that they will ship with the older cable style the 560 pre-productions came with; they aren't fabric.  Pads should be identical though. 

Did the HE-400 and HE-500 come in the same packaging?  I think that's your giveaway...

Jun 27, 2014 at 6:50 PM Post #450 of 14,386
 I also checked these out for a good bit at the HiFiMan table during the ChiUniFi meet as well, and I loved them at first listen. I won't regurgitate what's already been eloquently described by others here, other than that the bass didn't extend super low like the HE-400's, which I was hoping (maybe they can, to be fair the meet got pretty loud at times) but it's still weighty, clean and really accurate. I'd describe them as a more refined HE-500 with greater soundstage. And comfy as heck! Comfort was the breaking point for me and the HE-400, these are super light and the cups felt great.

I'll be picking them up. I also tried them directly out of my iPhone and they still sounded surprisingly good with Spotify. This was one of the only headphones that I came back to several times. Looking forward to listening to them at home.
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back