Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Jun 17, 2014 at 7:01 AM Post #331 of 14,386
When the 560 was solid wood I thought it looked great, better than the 400i, but not too keen on the new version. Just doesn't quite do it for me, with the exception of the metal plate area where the cable connectors are, I kinda think that part looks nice. But the veneer just looks a bit tacky and I don't think it goes so well with the plastic ring around the edge. It just doesn't quite come together for me. Maybe I'd like them more in person, but in pictures it's not winning me over.

Jun 17, 2014 at 6:02 PM Post #334 of 14,386
  Isn't a single-sided magnetic array technically inferior to a double-sided one? I'm not an engineer, so, could be in the wrong here...

Technically, it would have less sensitivity and less control...  This makes it a little tougher to tune...  But not impossible, the 560 has showed that already. 

Jun 18, 2014 at 2:51 AM Post #337 of 14,386
  But, is it improper to call it a planar magnetic headphone? I thought there needed to be an even placement of magnetic arrays to produce an isodynamic magnetic field.

It's a field that's still very young in terms of innovation and development (the bulk of work has been from decades ago), so classical definitions aren't necessarily concrete IMO.

It's not that "planar magnetic headphones must have isodynamic magnetic fields", but that "planar magnetic headphones have traditionally been that way", because of poor efficiency and difficulty in membrane control if the magnets are single-ended, traditionally.

Jun 18, 2014 at 2:57 AM Post #338 of 14,386
  It's a field that's still very young in terms of innovation and development (the bulk of work has been from decades ago), so classical definitions aren't necessarily concrete IMO.

It's not that "planar magnetic headphones must have isodynamic magnetic fields", but that "planar magnetic headphones have traditionally been that way", because of poor efficiency and difficulty in membrane control if the magnets are single-ended, traditionally.

Thanks for the explanation, your posts about these headphones have been very helpful. I've been through a lot of them.

Jun 18, 2014 at 2:59 PM Post #345 of 14,386
  Really HE400i should be renamed to HE500i. Supposedly it has nothing to do with HE400 other than the approximate price-point (though at the moment it is closer to HE500 than HE400 in pricing).

Well, the HifiMAN HE400i is supposedly to have a sound signature of both the HE400 and the HE500, almost like a hybrid. (similar to the HE560, whose sound signature has elements of both the HE500 and the HE-6) So I think that the title of the HE400i is apt but in my opinion a better name for the HE400i would be the HE460 since from impressions thus far, it sounds as good as the HE500. However, keep in mind this is my opinion, so feel free to say what you think and believe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back