Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Jan 17, 2019 at 1:18 AM Post #14,118 of 14,386
So do you think the angling works or not?

Sorry wasn’t sure what the last sentence referred to

Those non angled sheepskin pads do look outstanding
Oh.. Sorry for the short answer...yes angled pads, they do work. I just find non angled deeper pads, and others here as well, that it draws out more bass, it could be that it really just lowers the highs and creating an extended bass feeling.. There I go again.. Anyways, it just warms the sound slightly while keeping the nice airyness to the whole sound. I was hating on these guys until the pad change, and maybe some burn in helped. I just cant remember what pads I ordered from Massdrop though..lol. Angled or ? :D we will see!

Jan 18, 2019 at 3:49 PM Post #14,120 of 14,386
Just got in, and they came with the clips! Cant wait to try these Dekoni pads out tonight with a glass of wine.. Track suggestions? 0118191214.jpg

Jan 18, 2019 at 4:58 PM Post #14,121 of 14,386
Just got in, and they came with the clips! Cant wait to try these Dekoni pads out tonight with a glass of wine.. Track suggestions?

I know this is a very special genre i'll suggest now, being a mix of neo-classical, electronic and kinda-pop, its my go to test track, for both headphone and speakers systems.
It has really deep and Tag bass, sweet female vocals and details all over the place, love the whole album, have fun!

Jan 18, 2019 at 5:58 PM Post #14,123 of 14,386
Just got in, and they came with the clips! Cant wait to try these Dekoni pads out tonight with a glass of wine.. Track suggestions?

Try this:

Jan 18, 2019 at 6:38 PM Post #14,124 of 14,386
My current favorite album to push my cans to their auditory limits is “Bach Trios” by Yo-yo Ma, Chris Thile, and Edgar Meyer (MQA c/o Tidal). Sonic bliss.
Good stuff. Thanks for the REC!

Jan 18, 2019 at 10:36 PM Post #14,126 of 14,386
Th a,ks for the suggestions!! Going in guys! Enjoy your weekend.
My current favorite album to push my cans to their auditory limits is “Bach Trios” by Yo-yo Ma, Chris Thile, and Edgar Meyer (MQA c/o Tidal). Sonic bliss.
I love Yo Yo Mans rendition of Happy Xmas (WAr Is Over) and just played some of Wolf Eyes...MY GOD.. thought my headphones were gonna explode... these cans did not pass the test on that album..bass just melted and gave up.. HAnnah Epperson Upsweep album is interesting, Farthest Distance track caught my attention..

I won't do a caparison to stock pads, because I don't feel like it honestly, BUT from memory the stock pads were more comfortable ONLY in temperature, cooler all day wearable. These Dekoni leather pads..(my god.. I can hear Yo Yo man breathing!) felt warm right away and with time I can imagine like any leather does.....it just gets better with time, like a baseball glove, so not a deal breaker for me. EAsy to put on and you can, should, position them to your liking, (I got angled). I positioned mine narrow front, thick back. easy to do once clicked in. As for now the Dekoni sheepskin leather pads from MAssdrop are a keeper w/ the Hifiman 400i (lol...Yo Yo Man just farted!) To me better than the Brainwavs, comes with the clips and super easy to install, the big plus my ears fit easier now, Dekoni has more space on the inside compared to the Brainwavz. Well...now I am gonna look for the stock pads...hold on...........................................................................wow..they are tiny...lol, and now I know why the felt cooler, there is felt where it contacts the skin, but...yeah these things a small... Dekoni pads all the way guys, they will up your Hifiman game.

Jedi
0118192007.jpg

Attachments

• 0118191820.jpg
    0118191820.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 18, 2019 at 10:54 PM Post #14,127 of 14,386
Th a,ks for the suggestions!! Going in guys! Enjoy your weekend.

I love Yo Yo Mans rendition of Happy Xmas (WAr Is Over) and just played some of Wolf Eyes...MY GOD.. thought my headphones were gonna explode... these cans did not pass the test on that album..bass just melted and gave up..

Oh! I should have mentioned, there is a lot of distortion in the recording on that first track. I use it to test headphones for macro-dynamics though. Lots of sudden transitions from near silence to hard, explosive sounds, as I'm sure you noticed. Listening to that on the Elear is terrifying and delightful.

Kudos to Dekoni for including the clips on their HiFiMan pads. Smart design that saves the consumer ten bucks. If I wasn't already so happy with the ZMF Oris on my 400i, I'd buy a set just for that thoughtfulness on their part.

Jan 18, 2019 at 11:15 PM Post #14,128 of 14,386
Oh! I should have mentioned, there is a lot of distortion in the recording on that first track. I use it to test headphones for macro-dynamics though. Lots of sudden transitions from near silence to hard, explosive sounds, as I'm sure you noticed. Listening to that on the Elear is terrifying and delightful.

Kudos to Dekoni for including the clips on their HiFiMan pads. Smart design that saves the consumer ten bucks. If I wasn't already so happy with the ZMF Oris on my 400i, I'd buy a set just for that thoughtfulness on their part.
:D thanks... I thought I broke my headphones..lol, yeah I played the track on my Fostex and yup... CRazy... MaD opening track.. where did you find this!? :D how!? Need to grab those ZMF pads. Cool crowd here. :)

Jan 18, 2019 at 11:31 PM Post #14,129 of 14,386
:D thanks... I thought I broke my headphones..lol, yeah I played the track on my Fostex and yup... CRazy... MaD opening track.. where did you find this!? :D how!? Need to grab those ZMF pads. Cool crowd here. :)

LOL A random selection at a CD store when I was 16. Bought myself a Merzbow CD and was instantly hooked. Now, I have more than 1400 albums worth of harsh noise like that. Of course, I like a lot of other stuff too, lots of prog in my diet. Death metal. Pre-war blues. 60's jazz. I'm all over the map.

I don't know if the Oris sound the best (I liked the pads CoFire had on his), but the Oris in lambskin are the most comfortable pads I've ever experienced. Now my 400is have a special place in my line-up as my "I actually need to work, like, for real" headphones. While wearing them, I have literally clunked into the sides of them because I forgot they are headphones and tried to take them out like they are earphones. Just so cozy.

Jan 19, 2019 at 11:45 AM Post #14,130 of 14,386
So I noticed that the seam of pads are always pointed down, is this the same for the rest of this group? Stock pad seams are down so just curious about that. Thinking if you get off brand pads that seams down was the intended use of the pads..right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back