Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Nov 19, 2016 at 9:19 AM Post #9,979 of 14,386
Now that these are under 300$ I'm thinking about buying from Amazon. I'd also like to get a balanced cable for my Jotenheim amp. The Claire hpc cable looks like an affordable option, but I'm not sure which type of cable I should choose.

Lol, I'm in the exact opposite situation. I got these last year when they were about the same price, and I've been thinking about upgrading from my magni-modi 2U stack to the Jot. I don't know how well these headphones scale, given how easy they are to drive, but I'd like to have an amp that gets the most out of them without getting something that's total overkill, and $500 for the Jot with the DAC sounds too good to pass up.

Nov 19, 2016 at 11:26 AM Post #9,980 of 14,386
Well, my HE-400i are no more. I hope the new owner enjoys them as much as I did- and finds a replacement for that annoyingly stiff stock cable. They were the latest revision, in extremely good condition, so not a bad pair at all.

For people wondering if the HE-400i is worth it- yes, they're a great entry point into the crazy world of planars. Easy to drive, nice accessible tuning, surprisingly light. Weirdly good all-round, especially at the price- very little to touch them other than modded HD650, of course- but then lots of people enjoy the contrast between their planars and dynamics 
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 19, 2016 at 2:24 PM Post #9,981 of 14,386
Saw there's a 50% discount on the HE-400i on Amazon and wondering if I should get it.  I'm from the Sennheiser camp (HD 600 & 650) and I listen mostly to classical, with pop every couple of days.  Very happy with the HD 650 but looking for a different sound signature (if the HE-400i does offer it).  Plus, I don't want to carry my HD 650 back and forth everyday to work.  

Haven't heard opinions on how this pair renders classical yet...

Nov 19, 2016 at 2:40 PM Post #9,982 of 14,386
We're selling the HE400i for $249 also, however check the post linked below for a promo code to further sweeten the deal. Slight wait for the next batch to come in from HIFIMAN, but as you know, good things are worth waiting for:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/826352/headamp-holiday-deals-rolling-annoucements

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
Nov 19, 2016 at 2:51 PM Post #9,983 of 14,386
  Saw there's a 50% discount on the HE-400i on Amazon and wondering if I should get it.  I'm from the Sennheiser camp (HD 600 & 650) and I listen mostly to classical, with pop every couple of days.  Very happy with the HD 650 but looking for a different sound signature (if the HE-400i does offer it).  Plus, I don't want to carry my HD 650 back and forth everyday to work.  

They're not awful, with an OK source. The tuning is a tad warm, and the subsonics aren't impressive- so stuff that goes down low won't be as impressive as (say) the HE-560. However, what bass is there, mostly midbass, is snappy. Upper mids (high strings etc.) suffer a bit of suckout- almost all headphones seem to (though the HD650 and Utopia do OK here). Staging is so-so, and depends a bit on the amplifier, but it's not all that horrible for an inexpensive Planar.

Attacks are fast and snappy, pizzicato is a joy. Danse De La Fée Dragée will sound delicious. The last movement of Bruckner's 5th.. a bit less impressive.

They nice for the money, and definitely a different flavour to the HD650. They're not perfect, of course, so there's an element of personal preference in play too.

Nov 19, 2016 at 2:57 PM Post #9,984 of 14,386

For classical I like it, but it depends on the track/composer/recording quality, over all a little better than the HD-650 for most classical but pop is better on the HD-650 IMO.

Nov 19, 2016 at 3:37 PM Post #9,985 of 14,386
They're not awful, with an OK source. The tuning is a tad warm, and the subsonics aren't impressive- so stuff that goes down low won't be as impressive as (say) the HE-560. However, what bass is there, mostly midbass, is snappy. Upper mids (high strings etc.) suffer a bit of suckout- almost all headphones seem to (though the HD650 and Utopia do OK here). Staging is so-so, and depends a bit on the amplifier, but it's not all that horrible for an inexpensive Planar.

Attacks are fast and snappy, pizzicato is a joy. Danse De La Fée Dragée will sound delicious. The last movement of Bruckner's 5th.. a bit less impressive.

They nice for the money, and definitely a different flavour to the HD650. They're not perfect, of course, so there's an element of personal preference in play too.

As for the bass, these EQ very well. So, increasing the sub bass is pretty easy.

Nov 19, 2016 at 4:08 PM Post #9,988 of 14,386
Hey guys I already have he500 hd650 hd600 x2, does getting a he400i make any sense, or should I go for flagship hps like t1,he6,hd800,th900.

You have a great group of headphones so it would depend on what you are looking for and also the genre of music that you like.  The HE-400i is between the HD650 and HE-500 so it will not give you a different enough sound signature to make it worth your while.  If you listen to well recorded/mastered classical then the HD-800, T1 or SR-009 would be a great addition.  If you want a fun engaging sound then the TH-900 would be my suggestion.  Just remember that TOTL headphones usually require good gear to get the most out of them.

Nov 19, 2016 at 4:52 PM Post #9,990 of 14,386
You have clearly never heard the audio engineer's maxim "trim, don't boost".

I think what the person meant was that they handle power well, thus you can trim all but the sub bass and then use the power amp to push it. Not all headphones can do this, because they can't handle extra power in the low end without distorting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back