Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Jun 2, 2016 at 9:53 AM Post #9,167 of 14,386
For amps maybe a schiit asgard 2 (maybe bad pairing with omni if I upgrade?), schiit vali/lyr, no ember because I don't do diy (i might ruin an expensive amp).

the asgard is one of the brighter amps around.  Honestly, if you're after bassy/warm, I'd stay away from Schiit altogether, they definitely tend to be more neutral.  If you want bass kick + soundstage and don't mind bright treble, maybe the DT990 is up your alley.  Other options would be the Fidellio X2 or even the original HE400.  

amp wise I'd go for a hybrid amp and then search the tube rolling guides for warmer tubes.  With my EF2C if I swap in the mullard EF95 tubes they make the HE400i very smooth/warm with a rich bass ( I still wouldn't call it a bassy headphone though).  Maybe that's what you're after.  

Jun 2, 2016 at 12:19 PM Post #9,169 of 14,386
I don't understand how amps are bright if the frequency response is pretty much neutral from 20hz to 20khz. What determines this then? I've only extensively used the A2 so have no frame of reference, I just see many people say this. What part of the design of the Asgard makes it bright? I wouldn't deny this either as the HE-560 can certainly sound bright on my A2 (which personally, I prefer)  but I've always wondered if the frequency response of two amps are identical or very close to, what other factors determine an amps sound signature? Obviously synergy comes in to play here too.

Jun 2, 2016 at 12:23 PM Post #9,170 of 14,386
I don't understand how amps are bright if the frequency response is pretty much neutral from 20hz to 20khz. What determines this then? I've only extensively used the A2 so have no frame of reference, I just see many people say this. What part of the design of the Asgard makes it bright? I wouldn't deny this either as the HE-560 can certainly sound bright on my A2 (which personally, I prefer)  but I've always wondered if the frequency response of two amps are identical or very close to, what other factors determine an amps sound signature? Obviously synergy comes in to play here too.

Which harmonics they tend to favor in the THD profile. FR measurements only measure the fundamental's reproduction and treat everything that's not the fundamental as THD. However you can also see how the total harmonic distortion (THD) profile breaks down. Amps that favor higher order harmonics will seem brighter than their frequency response breakdown would indicate and amps that favor lower order harmonics will seem warmer.

Unfortunately THD breakdown isn't something that's usually easy to find for amps.

Jun 2, 2016 at 12:30 PM Post #9,171 of 14,386

Lots of albums are mastered bright for some reason. And components which are flat 6-20khz are often described as bright by most users.
In theory, a good recording through a flat playback chain should not sound bright at all. In practice, it's all relative :)

Jun 2, 2016 at 12:30 PM Post #9,172 of 14,386
Which harmonics they tend to favor in the THD profile. FR measurements only measure the fundamental's reproduction and treat everything that's not the fundamental as THD. However you can also see how the total harmonic distortion (THD) profile breaks down. Amos that favor higher order harmonics will seem brighter than their frequency response breakdown would indicate and amps that favor lower order harmonics will seem warmer.

Unfortunately THD breakdown isn't something that's usually easy to find for amps.

Ahh that makes sense, thanks for explaining that. It's not easy to find data on but it's helpful to know how amps differentiate from one another, I figured it had to be more than just frequency response.

Jun 3, 2016 at 6:10 PM Post #9,173 of 14,386
Ooooh. The 400s pads are so sofffft. Sound better than my foam pads too. Less peaky treble. I think the peaky treble was also because I removed the dust pads on my modded foam pads, and foam pads were probably millimeters narrower because of the removal of material so the drivers were closer...

Jun 3, 2016 at 6:30 PM Post #9,174 of 14,386

For dac, maybe a portadac first, if I can't find one in budget in time, maybe a bit perfect dac ($80) seems good value and is warm. For amps maybe a schiit asgard 2 (maybe bad pairing with omni if I upgrade?), schiit vali/lyr, no ember because I don't do diy (i might ruin an expensive amp).

I just want to point out that you can get the Ember pre-built by Jeremy with a 5 year warranty and it does not cost that much more than the kit.

Jun 4, 2016 at 1:48 AM Post #9,176 of 14,386
I just want to point out that you can get the Ember pre-built by Jeremy with a 5 year warranty and it does not cost that much more than the kit.
@Vanheim
, the Ember can be bought as either a kit or assemble, you want to get it assemble then it comes with a 5 year warranty

Can someone please give a moderately detailed explanation of the sound of both schiit vali 2 and ember.
Is ember really worth that much over vali 2 to someone that won't be able to tweak the Ember much anyways.
Vali 2 is very neutral from what I've read, what about swapping in a warm sounding tube?

So, vali 2+warm tubes vs ember for hifiman he 400i.

Also, if I buy an omni, I can just switch to bright/neutral tubes on vali 2 for cleaner sound right?

Also sub bass extension and Soundstage are important to me.

Jun 4, 2016 at 3:53 AM Post #9,177 of 14,386
Can someone please give a moderately detailed explanation of the sound of both schiit vali 2 and ember.
Is ember really worth that much over vali 2 to someone that won't be able to tweak the Ember much anyways.
Vali 2 is very neutral from what I've read, what about swapping in a warm sounding tube?

So, vali 2+warm tubes vs ember for hifiman he 400i.

Also, if I buy an omni, I can just switch to bright/neutral tubes on vali 2 for cleaner sound right?

Also sub bass extension and Soundstage are important to me.

While I don't have any experience with the Vali2 I did get to use the original and it was not a good pairing with the HE-400i, but I do think the newer Vali2 might be a lot better.  I don't think the Vali2 is something I would recommend for the HE-400i, maybe for the HD-6XX or K7XX.

With the Ember you can do a lot of tweaks without rolling tubes, just need to change jumper setting and most can be done with the amp on.  Rolling tubes is just one more option of "tuning" the Ember.  As for the sound signature of the Ember, in its base setup its a touch on the warmer side and even that can be changed a little by changing the output resistance/impedance. 

If you want the best sub bass extension and sound stage then you will need to look at a better amp than either the Vali2 or Ember IMO.  I think the Lyr2 does a much better job with sound stage while the sub bass is about the same as the Ember but this also depends on the tubes used in the Lyr2.  Best sub bass from the HE-400i that I've heard was with MHDT Pagoda DAC and Liquid Gold amp, but for the price its better to get another headphone that has the sub bass and sound stage that you want rather than changing DACs and amps.

Jun 4, 2016 at 8:52 AM Post #9,178 of 14,386
The Vali 2 with the BEL E88CC tube had good bass extension on the 400i. It was a pairing that I enjoyed. Not as much as the EL8 and the Vali 2, but still a good pairing. It even went well with the PM-3 (not so much with the SHP9500). I think the Vali 2 is a fantastic little amp that can.  Unfortunately, I'm a little on the vain side of things and I don't like the look of the Ember at all. It screams DIY to me and looks like a Bravo amp.  I'm sure it sounds marvelous though. One other tube hybrid amp that I did like as well as the Little Dot I+ which was my very first amp. I rolled tubes (matched and cryoed) and the OpAmp and found that to pair well with the K702 I had at the time.

Jun 4, 2016 at 11:18 AM Post #9,179 of 14,386
For dac, maybe a portadac first, if I can't find one in budget in time, maybe a bit perfect dac ($80) seems good value and is warm. For amps maybe a schiit asgard 2 (maybe bad pairing with omni if I upgrade?), schiit vali/lyr, no ember because I don't do diy (i might ruin an expensive amp).

I am a bit late on this I guess, but I wanted to mention that all of the Garage 1217 amps can be purchased as either kits or as fully completed and functional units. Jeremy does the builds himself I believe. At one point I was a Quality Engineer in aerospace. I had to be certified for bot Air Force and NASA soldering inspection. The units that he builds pass all the criteria. He really does a good job. The fee for building the units is low too. AND when he builds the amps you get a full five year warranty.

So there is no reason to avoid the Ember based on not wanting to build it yourself.

I am just a customer of Jeremy's, nothing else. I currently have two Sunrise III amps, and Ember, and a Polaris. If you ever decide to get serious about tube rolling, you can really find many, many tubes and tube pairs to play with in bot the Ember and Sunrise lines. The Ember makes it really easy with its auto bias system.

I use the ember with two Visseaux 6J5G tubes in it with the 400i quite regularly. If one likes the tube sound but still want lots of air and sparkle and huge dynamics, with lovely big Bass... this is one to consider.

As to the DIY look. Well it has never bothered me at all. Some would think that my dual tube on an adapter makes it look even more like a Frankenstein unit... I actually like it.

For a few buck more the black anodized aluminum top and bottom plates can be purchased. It is still an open chassis design, but for those sensitive to this kind of thing, it makes it look  nothing like a Bravo amp.

One last thought. I had a Lyr2 with stock tubes on a "try to buy" deal. I compared it with my Sunrise III for about two weeks. Using the 400i, I preferred the Sunrise II. Considering the price difference and lack of any sonic advantages, I returned the Lyr.

Jun 4, 2016 at 3:52 PM Post #9,180 of 14,386
Just bought these new up here in Canada... and this is my first post around here.

All I can say is wow. I am coming from Grado 125 and am currently only driving them with FiiO E10K but these are night and day between anything I own and these are my first dip into Hi-Mid Fi headphones. I know there is far more potential but I am pleased the FiiO can drive these with no Gain and no Bass boost just fine.

I researched a ton and demoed these and the 400S (among others) forever before deciding. Although the 400S seemed more exciting and easy to hear immediate differences in the shop (especially un-amped with an iPhone 6S), I could tell these are just that much more detailed and nuanced. I am not too up on my Audiophile lingo yet, but I can tell the amping potential is where it is at so I chose the 400i.

Strings and fuzz, textures and resonance are where I am really noticing these are a cut above. I am listening to ALACs of Radiohead's newest A Moon Shaped Pool, (which I have listened to countless times since it dropped, but this is the first time I can feel and imagine each member of the band playing in such a distinct way.) If this is soundstage, I get it because I feel like I am sitting in a little desk chair with the band on all sides of me. 

Anyways thanks for everyone who posts here, I chose these because of my research here.

ANYWAYS...

Onto the annoying part where I ask a question that has likely been asked 10000 times.

I eventually will be buying a dedicated Amp and probably going to keep the FiiO or get a dragonfly for a DAC so I can also drive these with an iPhone in a pinch.

I have a very extensive Vinyl collection so I will be looking for an amp that can travel between home and office and deal with Vinyl and Digital (From a Macbook Pro) as well. Most of my listening takes place at home or office as I don't commute really...

Easy choice is the O2 or the Magni but I may want to dig deeper. Any suggestions?

...In the meantime I am going to relive all my music with the E10K for now.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back