Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
May 31, 2016 at 8:48 PM Post #9,151 of 14,386
 Is the bass extension any good? And I also heard that the fulla tends to get hot as hell.

So I think I figured out how to describe the Fulla after comparing it with the idsd micro for a few days. It adds some airiness to the music, but this in a slightly artificial way, which softens treble, enhances mids and vocals, but makes the bass sound a little weird. A bit less overall detail, but you get your money's worth.

May 31, 2016 at 9:18 PM Post #9,152 of 14,386
So I think I figured out how to describe the Fulla after comparing it with the idsd micro for a few days. It adds some airiness to the music, but this in a slightly artificial way, which softens treble, enhances mids and vocals, but makes the bass sound a little weird. A bit less overall detail, but you get your money's worth.
what do you mean, it weirds the bass up? Does it make it more softer sounding? It's bass is super tight, I'd say too tight for my preferences. So softening it up and making it slower would be a good thing for me. Does it add sub bass extension or decrease it?

May 31, 2016 at 10:45 PM Post #9,153 of 14,386
what do you mean, it weirds the bass up? Does it make it more softer sounding? It's bass is super tight, I'd say too tight for my preferences. So softening it up and making it slower would be a good thing for me. Does it add sub bass extension or decrease it?

It makes it softer sounding, yes. A bit too much IMO, though I do miss it a bit now that I've switched over. The extension is there, it's just a bit colored. 

May 31, 2016 at 11:14 PM Post #9,154 of 14,386
Anyone have both the 400i and Edition X, or have tried both? I'd like to know how much improvement there is in sound quality comparing the two, and if the Edition X is worth more than 3x the price.

I've owned HE400i for like 8 months but only tried HEX for only 30 mins matching with m9xx. I'd say I prefer HEX over 400i if price ain't a issue. HEX have deeper bass and warmer compare to 400i but only slight margin IMO, however the sound stage is definitely a scale up from 400i for sure. 

Jun 1, 2016 at 5:42 AM Post #9,155 of 14,386
I'm beginning to dislike the hifiman a lot less! Finally managed to eq up the bass to get satisfactory bass texture. It still has long ways to go but it's very bearable now. Electronic music doesn't feel like torture anymore.

Jun 1, 2016 at 9:17 AM Post #9,156 of 14,386
I'm beginning to dislike the hifiman a lot less! Finally managed to eq up the bass to get satisfactory bass texture. It still has long ways to go but it's very bearable now. Electronic music doesn't feel like torture anymore.

I feel like if the headphones you're using sound like torture with music you like, you've probably got the wrong ones for your taste. Glad it's sounding better but if you're calling a relatively expensive pair of headphones 'bearable' after working to eq them (maybe other mods?), why not get a pair that actually suits your preference?

Jun 1, 2016 at 12:17 PM Post #9,157 of 14,386
I feel like if the headphones you're using sound like torture with music you like, you've probably got the wrong ones for your taste. Glad it's sounding better but if you're calling a relatively expensive pair of headphones 'bearable' after working to eq them (maybe other mods?), why not get a pair that actually suits your preference?

It's love and hate relationship at this point. It sounds tear-jerkingly amazing with some of my music and mind bogglingly bad with others. I plan on getting a zmf omni in the future. But for now, I am semi-enjoying the hell out of my hifiman he 400i.

Cheers,

Jun 1, 2016 at 12:29 PM Post #9,158 of 14,386
It's love and hate relationship at this point. It sounds tear-jerkingly amazing with some of my music and mind bogglingly bad with others. I plan on getting a zmf omni in the future. But for now, I am semi-enjoying the hell out of my hifiman he 400i.

Cheers,

I feel compelled to chime in- as I to felt that same way about my recently purchased 400i.

I can say that before these headphones I never did believe in burn in- now I'm not so sure.

More importantly though, don't be afraid to EQ them, I use the 31 band AU in Audio Hijack and It makes ALL the difference on much of the material I listen to.
If fact those cans EQ better than any others I've owned. Its why I kept them after auditioning so may others.
I set up some different profiles and simply select one depending on the material and man life is good!
So hang in there and hopefully you'll be very glad you have them.

Btw I'm loving my JDS Element with the 400i

Jun 1, 2016 at 5:36 PM Post #9,159 of 14,386

Cheers,

The only headphone that I had a love-hate relationship was my HD-800 when I first got them, after getting an amp that it pairs well with I now love them.  The HE-400i is a great headphone but does not do all genre of music well to me, you might just need a second complimentary headphone to go with them and your proposed choice of the Omni seems like a good one based on what I've read about them.

Jun 1, 2016 at 6:48 PM Post #9,160 of 14,386
I like my HE-400i's for folk, classical and jazz but when I listen to electronic, trance or EDM I always reach for my Audio Technica ATH-A900x

Jun 1, 2016 at 10:48 PM Post #9,161 of 14,386

Cheers,

I can't imagine anything sounding mind boggingly bad on the 400i unless it was bright screechy sounding, brick walled to the nuts music. What sounds that bad on the 400i? There is some music that is so badly recorded that only really warm headphones can make listenable at least in my experience. A friend of mine likes indie rock and new punk and man does most of the stuff he likes sound like garbage, nothing can help that stuff. I guess you have to love it to get it?

Jun 1, 2016 at 11:59 PM Post #9,162 of 14,386
For anyone interested...I purchased a custom 6" Cardas Crosslink II and Cardas Clear USB cable and there was a noticeable improvement in the depth of the soundstage.  Drums and vocals were more easily placed.  Also got a little more resolution and high frequency extension.  The mix of those cables and a pair of bugle boys makes this setup sound really nice.

Jun 2, 2016 at 12:13 AM Post #9,163 of 14,386
Glad I can just use cheap optical cables, had too many issues with USB devices and driver problems.  Also was told that a USB cable is like a HDMI cable, either it works or not but I have not done any testing so can't say that better USB cables make a difference.

Jun 2, 2016 at 12:33 AM Post #9,164 of 14,386
I can't imagine anything sounding mind boggingly bad on the 400i unless it was bright screechy sounding, brick walled to the nuts music. What sounds that bad on the 400i? There is some music that is so badly recorded that only really warm headphones can make listenable at least in my experience. A friend of mine likes indie rock and new punk and man does most of the stuff he likes sound like garbage, nothing can help that stuff. I guess you have to love it to get it?

I thought I wasn't a bass head. I really still don't think I am one, but I do want my headphones to give me the full experience when the music calls for it. With the hifiman he-400i, bass sometimes doesn't sound very good. I honestly don't like using the really bass heavy eq unless the music gets too bright (which is rare now) or the bass sounds like plastic hitting on plastic. As I said, with "secrets" by tiesto and kshmr, the bass drop is very hard to make enjoyable on very tight bass headphones or at least that's what I've realized so far. I want the clarity, the sound stage, the way it makes instruments sound so true to life, all without skipping on my favorite part of the frequency- le basssss.

At this point I'm rreall thinking it's my setup. I need a better dac and amp. For headphone upgrades I'm looking at the fostex th-x00 (i want more Soundstage tho), the zmf omni (almost perfect for me but a bit heavy), lff slants (would be the one for me, if lff didn't go awol on everybody.)

For dac, maybe a portadac first, if I can't find one in budget in time, maybe a bit perfect dac ($80) seems good value and is warm. For amps maybe a schiit asgard 2 (maybe bad pairing with omni if I upgrade?), schiit vali/lyr, no ember because I don't do diy (i might ruin an expensive amp).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back