Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Jan 8, 2016 at 9:15 AM Post #6,661 of 14,386
It's warmer and darker than a 650. I don't think I'd say slower than a 650. Much more bass in both quantity and quality than a 650. This is also going off auditory memory, so take it fwiw. I'll be able to listen to all three head to head this Saturday so I can refresh my memories. I always thought the fazor effect was noticeable, but much more subtle than people here make it out to be. The fazor version is much closer to the non-fazor than it is the the HD650. And not even remotely similar to the HiFiMan line.

I'll be interested to hear your thoughts Saturday on them. I can get a new LCD2 for $650, which is the price of me returning my 400i and selling my 650 which I barely even use anymore.

Jan 8, 2016 at 9:27 AM Post #6,663 of 14,386
I'll be interested to hear your thoughts Saturday on them. I can get a new LCD2 for $650, which is the price of me returning my 400i and selling my 650 which I barely even use anymore.

I would not go with the LCD-2 if you don't want to fall asleep while listening to your Metal music 
wink.gif

Jan 8, 2016 at 9:37 AM Post #6,664 of 14,386
I've been tempted over the years to get an LCD 2 with fazor, but I know after the initial romance with the intoxicating warmth wears off I would start to need more clarity and air. Now if you were adding the LCD to your collection as opposed to making it your only headphone that would be different. Still, as was mentioned above, why not try them? I wouldn't sell my 400i right away, sell the 650, get the LCD try it for a few weeks. If you end up liking it sell the 400i. You might pay a little interest on your credit card, but it won't be that much.

Jan 8, 2016 at 9:42 AM Post #6,665 of 14,386
I would do it, just to audition. You can always sell them and easily get another 400i. You may have to lose a couple bucks to do it this way, but if you dig the lcd2's you're set. It's a gamble, but worth it, even just to try.

Well, you'd lose $200, as I'm pretty sure he paid $299 for the HE400i when it was on sale instead of the normal $499

Jan 8, 2016 at 10:10 AM Post #6,667 of 14,386
I've been tempted over the years to get an LCD 2 with fazor, but I know after the initial romance with the intoxicating warmth wears off I would start to need more clarity and air. Now if you were adding the LCD to your collection as opposed to making it your only headphone that would be different. Still, as was mentioned above, why not try them? I wouldn't sell my 400i right away, sell the 650, get the LCD try it for a few weeks. If you end up liking it sell the 400i. You might pay a little interest on your credit card, but it won't be that much.

At $650, I kind of figured I could sell it if I don't like it and not lose too much.

I'm keeping my 400i while I try the LCD (if I buy it).

@mysticstryk
, what kind of sound signature are you looking for ? Is there something that you don't like with your HE-400i ?

I really like my 400i. I feel like if my 650 had planar bass with better extension with speed close to the 400i, that would be perfect.

My main gripe about my 650 is that it is too slow for some of my music and lacks good bass extension.

Only thing I dislike about my 400i is it can be a little too bright at times.

Jan 8, 2016 at 10:27 AM Post #6,668 of 14,386
Comfort, yes. They're also *very* different headphones. The LCD is very dark and smooth and rich. The HE400i is energetic and punchy. I think the HE400i (really the whole HiFiMan line) is more transparent and faster.
I like the LCD line a lot, but personally I couldn't deal with something that dark being my primary headphone and I also can't justify spending that much for something to be my backup/change of pace. However for some people it's exactly what they're after.

I think of the LCD as what would happen if you took the HD650 to crazy extremes.

I have all 3 of these headphones (LCD-2f, HE-400i, and HD650)  I agree with everything fjrabon said.  Well, except the part about it being my primary headphone.  I love dark headphones, mostly because I'm extremely sensitive to treble and my ears fatigue easily.  Any of these 3 could potentially be my primary.  I'll get in a mood and use one exclusively for a while.

Jan 8, 2016 at 10:36 AM Post #6,669 of 14,386

I have all 3 of these headphones (LCD-2f, HE-400i, and HD650)  I agree with everything fjrabon said.  Well, except the part about it being my primary headphone.  I love dark headphones, mostly because I'm extremely sensitive to treble and my ears fatigue easily.  Any of these 3 could potentially be my primary.  I'll get in a mood and use one exclusively for a while.

yeah, I didn't mean to imply at all that the HE400i was a better headphone, and for many, the LCD 2 fazor (or really any of the LCD line) could be an end game primary headphone.  I just meant that it's a very dark contrast if you're coming from a HE400i.  What Mysticstryk seems to be describing (HE400i that's not quite as bright, but just as fast and transparent as the HE400i, with quality extended bass) is the Edition X.  Now obviously that's a huge increase in cash outlay.

Jan 8, 2016 at 10:57 AM Post #6,670 of 14,386
yeah, I didn't mean to imply at all that the HE400i was a better headphone, and for many, the LCD 2 fazor (or really any of the LCD line) could be an end game primary headphone.  I just meant that it's a very dark contrast if you're coming from a HE400i.  What Mysticstryk seems to be describing (HE400i that's not quite as bright, but just as fast and transparent as the HE400i, with quality extended bass) is the Edition X.  Now obviously that's a huge increase in cash outlay.

Very huge and not achievable indeed.

I don't mind a darker headphone.

Jan 8, 2016 at 11:03 AM Post #6,671 of 14,386

Like most of us I'm sure trying new gear is a big part of the hobby for you, and if so, regardless you just have the LCD 2 itch that needs to be scratched. If not, frankly you could simply use a parametric EQ to trim down the treble on the 400i just enough to remove the edge you perceive. Still, my gut tells me even if that would do it you will still get the LCD 2 so just stop torturing yourself and be done with, get it and try.

Jan 8, 2016 at 11:07 AM Post #6,672 of 14,386

yeah, it's really hard to say if it's the right move for you then, it may well be, but you may also find it lacking in transparency and speed.  My memories of the whole LCD line are that the details in the upper midrange and treble are there, you just have to listen for them, as they're a bit recessed.  They're also roughly the same speed as a well amped HD650.  They have a decay that sometimes is gorgeous and powerful and sometimes seems slow.  It's one of the most remarkably free of grain headphones I've ever heard, just intoxicating at times with the right music.  The bass and the smoothness/lack of grain were by far the most intriguing aspects to me.  But for a primary, I couldn't deal with the veil and lack of transparency at times.  Most of the issues I had with the HD650, I also had with the LCD line as a whole.  I almost thought of the LCD as a "super HD650" as in took all the HD650's strengths and magnified them to an astonishing degree, but also held all of the issues I personally had with the HD650.  In fact I'd say for sure even the Fazor versions are darker than the HD650, by a fairly good amount.  

Jan 8, 2016 at 11:14 AM Post #6,673 of 14,386
Like most of us I'm sure trying new gear is a big part of the hobby for you, and if so, regardless you just have the LCD 2 itch that needs to be scratched. If not, frankly you could simply use a parametric EQ to trim down the treble on the 400i just enough to remove the edge you perceive. Still, my gut tells me even if that would do it you will still get the LCD 2 so just stop torturing yourself and be done with, get it and try.

Haha, you probably have a point there!

yeah, it's really hard to say if it's the right move for you then, it may well be, but you may also find it lacking in transparency and speed.  My memories of the whole LCD line are that the details in the upper midrange and treble are there, you just have to listen for them, as they're a bit recessed.  They're also roughly the same speed as a well amped HD650.  They have a decay that sometimes is gorgeous and powerful and sometimes seems slow.  It's one of the most remarkably free of grain headphones I've ever heard, just intoxicating at times with the right music.  The bass and the smoothness/lack of grain were by far the most intriguing aspects to me.  But for a primary, I couldn't deal with the veil and lack of transparency at times.  Most of the issues I had with the HD650, I also had with the LCD line as a whole.  I almost thought of the LCD as a "super HD650" as in took all the HD650's strengths and magnified them to an astonishing degree, but also held all of the issues I personally had with the HD650.  In fact I'd say for sure even the Fazor versions are darker than the HD650, by a fairly good amount.  

Thanks, this helps a lot. Are vocals superb like on the hd650 then?

Jan 8, 2016 at 11:27 AM Post #6,674 of 14,386
Thanks, this helps a lot. Are vocals superb like on the hd650 then?

I guess it depends on how you like your vocal presentation.  I like very forward vocals, so for me, no.  However, if you like very smooth and further back vocals, then yes.  I'd say I maybe liked the vocals on the HD650 a bit more, as they were a bit brighter.  To me, the LCD vocals sound like they're signing behind a blanket, even in comparison to the HD650, let alone the HE400i.  However, to others they may just be the smooth intoxicating vocals they've been looking for.  I honestly don't think this is something we can settle by talking about it, though; you'll just have to try to hear them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back