Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Jan 7, 2016 at 1:02 AM Post #6,633 of 14,386
Just got my 400i set today.  They sound okay on my HTC One M8, better through my Micca Origen headphone plug, and noticeably better going from the Origen's line out into my Little Dot I+.

While my X2s sound pretty darn good with everything and amplifying them only improved the sound quality a little bit. The 400i's improvement is quite noticeable when amplified.

The mids/treble are definitely better than my X2s.  The bass is also better defined.  I've yet to listen to anything where the bass seemed uncontrolled.  With my X2s, I get a little bit of looseness on some tracks.  Of course, the X2s bass quantity is more present, but I chose the 400i as a contrast/more neutral headset compared to my fun X2s and I think I've made a fine choice (especially at $299 shipped).

Man, 150 hours for break in lol.  The cable length I'm actually okay with, but the stiffness kinda sucks.  I've thrown everything at these and they sound awesome.  I'm not sure what breaking in is going to do for me since I won't remember how they sounded exactly when they were new though.

Jan 7, 2016 at 1:09 AM Post #6,634 of 14,386
  I'm not sure what breaking in is going to do for me since I won't remember how they sounded exactly when they were new though.

Nobody can remember, memory is very, very inaccurate for things like extremely subtle sound differences (if break-in is real it would at best be extremely subtle). I would say that they will always sound like they sound to you. Just an opinion of course.

Jan 7, 2016 at 1:10 AM Post #6,635 of 14,386
maybe some1 with a pair with atleast 150hours decides to buy a new pair to compare side by side.
but then again switching headphones back and forth isnt that reliable. every time you put on a headphone its in a
different position than before thus altering the sound slightly based on positioning and fit.
and there's some variation in sound even though its the same headphone. like how the same exact clothes
can fit slightly differently even thought it's the same size according to the size tag.

Jan 7, 2016 at 1:15 AM Post #6,636 of 14,386
maybe some1 with a pair with atleast 150hours decides to buy a new pair to compare side by side.

but then again switching headphones back and forth isnt that reliable. every time you put on a headphone its in a

different position than before thus altering the slightly based on positioning and fit.

Herr Drei--

You're definitely correct about that. The only semi-reliable way to test this would be to test it with properly calibrated gear, which most of us don't have access to.

Jan 7, 2016 at 6:05 AM Post #6,638 of 14,386
my 400i sounds better now than when i just got it, but it is due to my brain adjusting to them.
why i say that? because my speakers in the car and my room got better too, and i never changed them.
the 400i is so revealing that i notice "the little things" in tracks and can hear them with other setups because the low end ones only need to "trigger" the notes and my brain kind of "complete" it for me.
well its not that they do the same job as the 400i, the HIFIMAN are still a joy to listen to, but i hope i was clear enough :) English inst my native.

Jan 7, 2016 at 7:21 AM Post #6,640 of 14,386
different position than before thus altering the sound slightly based on positioning and fit.
and there's some variation in sound even though its the same headphone. like how the same exact clothes
can fit slightly differently even thought it's the same size according to the size tag.

I've done this before with a few different types of headphones and it was almost indiscernable for most.  Only exceptions were Fostex bio-dyna based drivers (D7000, THX00) and Grados.  Grados were more likely due to variation within the line though, as Grados are (in)famously variant even within the same model from unit to unit.  

Jan 7, 2016 at 8:24 AM Post #6,641 of 14,386

I've done this before with a few different types of headphones and it was almost indiscernable for most.  Only exceptions were Fostex bio-dyna based drivers (D7000, THX00) and Grados.  Grados were more likely due to variation within the line though, as Grados are (in)famously variant even within the same model from unit to unit.  

As you are saying, even if people manage to compare a "burnt-in" set against a new set, there are most certainly going to be some differences due to any number of possible manufacturing factors. Plus there is a testing paradigm frequently suggested that we are not allowed to discuss outside of the Sound Science thread. I was recently locked out of a thread by the mods for mentioning why this unnameable testing procedure is important. I'm trying to reform my ways as I can see why the mods need to curtail the discussion. I just wish more people at times looked into the sound science thread, especially newer members who likely are prone to believe claims made. 

Jan 7, 2016 at 9:35 AM Post #6,642 of 14,386

As you are saying, even if people manage to compare a "burnt-in" set against a new set, there are most certainly going to be some differences due to any number of possible manufacturing factors. Plus there is a testing paradigm frequently suggested that we are not allowed to discuss outside of the Sound Science thread. I was recently locked out of a thread by the mods for mentioning why this unnameable testing procedure is important. I'm trying to reform my ways as I can see why the mods need to curtail the discussion. I just wish more people at times looked into the sound science thread, especially newer members who likely are prone to believe claims made. 

+1000

And it is always fun for me to read your posts, regardless of the topic! It's good to see you in a thread for my favorite headphones.

Jan 7, 2016 at 9:43 AM Post #6,643 of 14,386
+1000

And it is always fun for me to read your posts, regardless of the topic! It's good to see you in a thread for my favorite headphones.

Same here brother, always enjoy your posts and good attitude. I was kind of shocked to be locked out, I'll admit it was pretty embarrassing to need to request to be unlocked (which was done). Cheers, and I really love the 400i, quite a stellar headphone for the very reasonable asking price.

Jan 7, 2016 at 9:45 AM Post #6,644 of 14,386

Same here brother, always enjoy your posts and good attitude. I was kind of shocked to be locked out, I'll admit it was pretty embarrassing to need to request to be unlocked (which was done). Cheers, and I really love the 400i, quite a stellar headphone for the very reasonable asking price.

yep.  The only thing that makes me somewhat think about leaving the HE400i is the edition X.  But the size still has me kind of hung up.  

Jan 7, 2016 at 10:00 AM Post #6,645 of 14,386

yep.  The only thing that makes me somewhat think about leaving the HE400i is the edition X.  But the size still has me kind of hung up.  

I've been thinking about that as well (can't afford it now anyway), but size is also an issue. Not to mention the Canadian dollar is crazy low now so I'll need to wait. I just pumped money into my speakers by picking up some really nice KEF R300s on good stands supported by two REL T Zero small subs so I'm using speakers more these days and when I reach for headphones the 400i really are pretty easy to accept. I also just ordered a DP-X1 so there goes any chance at the X.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back