Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Dec 2, 2015 at 8:51 PM Post #5,851 of 14,386

I suspect its something to do with that. I also read that the Essence ST soundcards have high output impedance which does not go well with low impedance headphones. Will admit though that I'm really impressed with the Chromecast Audio, sounds absolutely fantastic for what it is. 

Glad to hear you are able to enjoy the 400i with the Chromecast. I think when you finally hear the 400i with amplification that works well you will hear exactly why many people really respect the 400i. When I first picked the 400i up I had a TH 900 and I wanted to sell it as I was really interested in a great DAP so the funds would help. I wanted to see if the 400i could keep me happy if I moved the Fostex. While I won't say that the 400i is the better headphone, I will however say that it is good enough that I knew I could move the TH 900 and still have a really good sounding headphone option for a whole lot less money. Cheers.

Dec 2, 2015 at 8:56 PM Post #5,852 of 14,386
  These are harder to drive and the declared resistance is one thing, but my understanding with planar headphones is that current output needed is a consideration. I'm going to make an educated guess that the output of the devices you are using are not very strong in terms of current. I suspect somebody with a deeper understanding on this technical consideration will weigh in to help. 

A number of factors contribute to headphone efficiency. The 400S has an efficiency of 98db SPL/mw, the 400I has an efficiency of  93db SPL/mw, the efficiency of the power hungry HE6 is a pathetic 83.5db SPL/mw.

Put another way, the 400S requires only 2mw to produce 100db output. The 400i requires 5mw, The HE-6 requires a whopping 67mw to produce the same.

Dec 2, 2015 at 9:02 PM Post #5,853 of 14,386
^ For sure, and the reality is that with the extremely varying nature of reproducing full dynamic music these figures are also telling only part of the story so it is no surprise that people always report that with some extra juice their planars sing. I'm sure we at times over-emphasis the need for power, but I'm quite confident that most soundcards will not be up to snuff to drive a modestly difficult load.

Dec 2, 2015 at 9:48 PM Post #5,854 of 14,386
  A few things i want to ask

1) Why are the cables so expensive? I am looking for a 3m or 5m cable, how much are they supposed to cost?
2) What is sibilant? Is there a good video to explain what it sounds like?
3) Amp/Dac to pair with this headphone? Aune X1s, JDS Element, Schiit M2M2 stack? I plan to get the Audeze LCD-2 when it's next on sale so will these go well with the LCD2 as well?

1.) Sorry, I can't answer this as I don't know exactly why myself.

2.) Sibilance has to do with the treble being too "hot", or too present. For example, when a singer sings a word with a "s" sound, with a sibilant headphone the sounds comes out more like "ssssss".

3.) Out of the amps and dacs you mentioned, I've only listened to my 400i with the Aune X1s. It's a good pairing - the X1s definitely has enough power to make them sound decent. And in my opinion, the very slightly warm nature of the 400i and the slightly bright nature of the X1s go together well.

Dec 3, 2015 at 12:35 AM Post #5,857 of 14,386

Sorry, forgot to ask, but on their website, do the Hifiman HE compatible series have the newer 2.5mm connectors or the older ones? What connectors do your HE 400i have?

If you just order without any comment you would get the standard mini-coax screw-on connector.

But FAW is, as far as i know, a one man company, and you can ask for any custom cable you could possibly think of.
And as far as parts are available he will build it.

I have the 400i also with the new connector, and i just sent an email if he can build the cable with 2,5mm connectors, no problemo :D

When ordering there is a comment section, just add that you want the cable with the 2,5mm connector and it´ll be fine.
Oh and the cable costs the same with mini-coax or 2,5mm connector.

I Ordered a Claire MK2 in 1,5m length with 4pin XLR to use with my new Audio GD NFB-1AMP, the length is enough for me since i sit right beside my Rack when listening to music.

For TV and Movies, when i move to the approximately 5 meters distant couch, i will build a 4Pin-XLR extension myself.
Since the last bit of sound quality is not important in that scenario a wanted to stay as cheap as possible.

I´ll use a standard 4-core cable (http://shop.sommercable.com/en/Cables/Bulk-Cables-Audio/Mikrofonkabel-SC-Square-4-Core-MKII-200-0301-highflex.html)
and neutrik XX connectors in black (http://www.neutrik.com/en/xlr/xx-series/nc4mxx-b).
All in all that will cost me 30€ for 8 meters of extension
tongue.gif

Hope you have everything you need now, have fun with the 400i 
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 3, 2015 at 7:14 AM Post #5,858 of 14,386
I would think that mine coming from Hong Kong because the US ran out would have the new connections. I can't imagine they have a stock pill of older 400i's there. Either way I'll be happy, though the screw on connections do suck but I can live with that.

Dec 3, 2015 at 7:20 AM Post #5,859 of 14,386
EDIT:  Nevermind, Razordog did email me back, in a super quick 30 minutes!  For some reason it ended up in my junk mail. 

EDIT 2:  Being shipped out now.  Hopefully they make it by Saturday as USPS doesn't deliver Sundays.  My 400i have just been sitting on my desk teasing me for the past week.
Want to get these things back on my head 
L3000.gif

Dec 3, 2015 at 2:59 PM Post #5,860 of 14,386
I am coming from a pair of Phillips Fidelio X2 and a Jds Labs ODAC to the HE-400i.  My question is how do you think the new headphones will pair with the ODAC.  Also, I am considering getting the new massdrop Grace design m9xx as a replacement to the ODAC?  What do you think?  Will it be a significant improvement?  Thanks.

Dec 3, 2015 at 3:09 PM Post #5,861 of 14,386
  Here you go.

http://www.hifiman.com/products/detail/187

thanks! just purchased it.  Got the official fostex stand too for the soon to be arriving THX00.  Dear god somebody stop me.  

Dec 3, 2015 at 3:14 PM Post #5,862 of 14,386
  I am coming from a pair of Phillips Fidelio X2 and a Jds Labs ODAC to the HE-400i.  My question is how do you think the new headphones will pair with the ODAC.  Also, I am considering getting the new massdrop Grace design m9xx as a replacement to the ODAC?  What do you think?  Will it be a significant improvement?  Thanks.

the HE400i with the M9XX is an INCREDIBLE pairing for the money.  To my ears it sounds like a $1500 setup for $800 (if you got the HE400i on sale).  Now, whether that's significant, is impossible to say "significant" is such a trick word when it comes to audio.  It will be a better setup, yes.  Some people might not notice it all, some people it may be a world of difference.  In high end audio, that last 5% is the hardest, and most expensive part to get.  The last 1% is insane expensive and hard to get.

your old setup is probably a 95%
your new setup will be like a 98%

Is that 3% difference significant?  I don't think anybody can say but you.  

Dec 3, 2015 at 3:17 PM Post #5,863 of 14,386

From my experience, HE-400i are a little brighter than supposed to on O2/ODAC; but then again O2 is quite a bright amp, regardless of the "it's completely neutral" BS motto O2 has.

Other than that, O2 has lots and lots of power to drive most things, HE-400i included.

No comment on the other amp, I'm pretty sure in that price range you won't get a lot of audible difference.

Dec 3, 2015 at 3:28 PM Post #5,864 of 14,386
  From my experience, HE-400i are a little brighter than supposed to on O2/ODAC; but then again O2 is quite a bright amp, regardless of the "it's completely neutral" BS motto O2 has.

Other than that, O2 has lots and lots of power to drive most things, HE-400i included.

No comment on the other amp, I'm pretty sure in that price range you won't get a lot of audible difference.

based on what he said, I don't think he has the combo, just the ODAC. The Grace has a much better DAC section than the ODAC, but also, "much better" when you get to this range in DACs is very subtle.  The ODAC is good, the Grace is great as a DAC, but that's not really a huge difference.  He will see a benefit from the extra current the Grace will provide, since currently he doesn't have an amp at all.  I agree with you that the O2 is a bright amp on the HE400i.  The beauty of the HE400i is that its mids are as forward as possible without ever being sibilant, whereas the O2 will slightly push them in that direction.  I'd say the magni is a much better amp for the HE400i than the O2 in that price range.  

Setups I've paired with the HE400i ranked:
1) tie Grace M9XX
1) tie Bitfrost/Magni
3) Modi/Magni
4) Grace/Millett SSMH (build I did)
5) Audioengine D1
6) O2/ODAC

I liked them all, but the O2/ODAC were definitely the weakest of the bunch as far as value/pairing goes.  Since the D1 is cheaper than the O2/ODAC pairing, I don't see any reason to get the O2/ODAC.  There are cheaper, more portable, more elegant solutions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back