Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Nov 30, 2015 at 6:38 AM Post #5,746 of 14,386

the clamping force of the hd650 is epic fail.

u're gonna so love the 400i comfort. makes u listen for much longer.

The clamping force of the HE-400i was actually worse than the HD-650 for me, the HE-560 was not far behind, had to bend them a lot to make it so that my head was not in a vice grip.  HD-700/800, TH-600/900, DT-990/T1, SRH-1840, K7XX, EL8, RS2e and most of my other headphones were way more comfortable without any bending, even the HE-400 was better and its not really good to begin with, after doing some mods to the headband it really comfortable.

Nov 30, 2015 at 9:18 AM Post #5,747 of 14,386
Hi guys, I'm thinking of getting a pair of Hifiman HE400i to replace my AKG K551. Reason being i dont really like the highs on the K551 cause in my opinion the highs are a bit too sharp for me. Problem is i dont have a HE400i available locally for me to audition so yea i'm kinda scare on diving in. So what's your thoughts on the HE400i or even the HE560? and how about the Philips Fidelio X2? i heard a lot of good things about it too. Thanks!

Nov 30, 2015 at 9:28 AM Post #5,748 of 14,386
I always research a headphone quite a bit before I buy one and everything I've read about the HE-400i has been mostly positive but the soundstage width concerns me a little. I've always liked a good size soundstage, it doesn't have to be huge but I like a bit of width. I have an HD600, HE-400 and Sony Z7 which all have a decent size soundstage. So in respect to those how would you compare the HE-400i? I don't think its going to be a deal breaker for me unless its closed in like an iem or something but I don't think that's the case.

Nov 30, 2015 at 9:30 AM Post #5,749 of 14,386
Hi guys, I'm thinking of getting a pair of Hifiman HE400i to replace my AKG K551. Reason being i dont really like the highs on the K551 cause in my opinion the highs are a bit too sharp for me. Problem is i dont have a HE400i available locally for me to audition so yea i'm kinda scare on diving in. So what's your thoughts on the HE400i or even the HE560? and how about the Philips Fidelio X2? i heard a lot of good things about it too. Thanks!

Of those three, the 560 has the brightest highs, followed by the 400i and then the X2. The 560 sounds very slightly bright/neutral. The 400i is warm/neutral with a slight midbass bump and a slight 8k bump. The X2 is very warm.

I feel that the 400i are very smooth in the highs while also being energetic, but never getting sibilant or fatiguing., but I don't think I've ever heard the AKG 551, so can't say how it compares.

Nov 30, 2015 at 9:39 AM Post #5,750 of 14,386
I always research a headphone quite a bit before I buy one and everything I've read about the HE-400i has been mostly positive but the soundstage width concerns me a little. I've always liked a good size soundstage, it doesn't have to be huge but I like a bit of width. I have an HD600, HE-400 and Sony Z7 which all have a decent size soundstage. So in respect to those how would you compare the HE-400i? I don't think its going to be a deal breaker for me unless its closed in like an iem or something but I don't think that's the case.

I don't know the Sony you're comparing, and only spent a small amount of time the the HE400. The soundstage width will be noticeably less than the HD600, yes. I would never call it closed in though. It sounds very natural to me. I think the issue the 400i often has is that in its price range it's often compared to headphones whose strength is soundstage width.

I'm not sure if it's me wanting to like everything about it, but the more I listen to it, the more I actually like the soundstage, it's so coherent and the depth is great. With some of the wide soundstage headphones I feel like things are just stretched out to the point of not making aural sense. Like your'e in a stadium and the main speakers are 300 yards apart. With the 400i I feel like I'm watching a great concert at a medium size, perfect sounding concert venue.

Nov 30, 2015 at 10:09 AM Post #5,752 of 14,386
  If its like a bright open sounding headphone i don't really mind it. The K551 is bright but its like in your face bright so it kinda hurts at time. which i dont really like.

oh, I definitely wouldn't call it in your face, it's very refined.  I kind of think about its highs like it splits the difference between Grado RS2e treble and Sennheiser HD650 treble.  I don't find it fatiguing at all.  

Nov 30, 2015 at 10:16 AM Post #5,753 of 14,386

listening to the Lyr 2 and HE-400i right now!  (1975 Russian tubes in)
and indeed it's a superb pairing.  
400i can be used on Low Gain even, and gets blinding loud past 12noon on the volume dial.

power, clarity, soundstage are all there.

many of us also have Lyr 2 feeding HE-560 as well.

Can you comment on the 400i vs. the 560 with the Lyr?

I'm currently using the HE-500s with the Lyr, and I'm wondering if now is a good time for me to move on to Hifiman's new generation.
The 400i are a great price right now, but if they're a step down or too sensitive for the Lyr 1, I'll pass.

Nov 30, 2015 at 10:19 AM Post #5,754 of 14,386

I'm currently using the HE-500s with the Lyr, and I'm wondering if now is a good time for me to move on to Hifiman's new generation.
The 400i are a great price right now, but if they're a step down or too sensitive for the Lyr 1, I'll pass.

I love HE-400i but HE-500 is simply a better headphone. HE-560 too. Lyr is more than sufficient to drive them all.

Nov 30, 2015 at 10:19 AM Post #5,755 of 14,386
^^ I also agree that the 400i is not in your face at all. I like loud music so a headphone like that would really be an issue for me. I owned an HE 560 for a year and yes, it was closer to being bright than the 400i for sure. It seems to have dialed back the treble energy just enough while still allowing for a very detailed presentation. I owned a TH 900 at the same time for a brief time and I felt the 400i treble while not as nuanced as the Fostex was actually easier to listen to.

Nov 30, 2015 at 10:22 AM Post #5,756 of 14,386

oh, I definitely wouldn't call it in your face, it's very refined.  I kind of think about its highs like it splits the difference between Grado RS2e treble and Sennheiser HD650 treble.  I don't find it fatiguing at all.  

Oh then I'm definitely interested in looking for one of those then. I love the HD650 but i prefer it to be a bit bright. Thanks bruh!

Nov 30, 2015 at 10:35 AM Post #5,757 of 14,386

I'd only move from the HE500 to the HE400i if comfort was an issue for you.  I think the HE400i and the HE500 are VERY similar from the admittedly brief time I've spend listening to the HE500.  I've seen people say they prefer the 400i and some say the 500, but almost everybody agree the two are extremely close in sound.  I think HiFiMan would have called the 400i the 500i, except they didn't want to release an update that wasn't clearly more refined.  I like the 400i better than the 560, but I also think the 560 is a slightly better technical headphone.  I just prefer the 400i's signature more, it's a bit more meaty sounding than the 560, which to me sounds very slightly too thin.

Nov 30, 2015 at 10:42 AM Post #5,758 of 14,386

I'd only move from the HE500 to the HE400i if comfort was an issue for you.  I think the HE400i and the HE500 are VERY similar from the admittedly brief time I've spend listening to the HE500.  I've seen people say they prefer the 400i and some say the 500, but almost everybody agree the two are extremely close in sound.  I think HiFiMan would have called the 400i the 500i, except they didn't want to release an update that wasn't clearly more refined.  I like the 400i better than the 560, but I also think the 560 is a slightly better technical headphone.  I just prefer the 400i's signature more, it's a bit more meaty sounding than the 560, which to me sounds very slightly too thin.

interesting, thanks.

It would be cool if I could use the new-gen headband with the HE-500s, since the current has a bit of a "DIY" feel to it. 

Nov 30, 2015 at 11:37 AM Post #5,759 of 14,386
I don't know the Sony you're comparing, and only spent a small amount of time the the HE400. The soundstage width will be noticeably less than the HD600, yes. I would never call it closed in though. It sounds very natural to me. I think the issue the 400i often has is that in its price range it's often compared to headphones whose strength is soundstage width.

I'm not sure if it's me wanting to like everything about it, but the more I listen to it, the more I actually like the soundstage, it's so coherent and the depth is great. With some of the wide soundstage headphones I feel like things are just stretched out to the point of not making aural sense. Like your'e in a stadium and the main speakers are 300 yards apart. With the 400i I feel like I'm watching a great concert at a medium size, perfect sounding concert venue.

Thanks for the reply and what you say makes a lot of sense to me. Some headphones do sound like they make the soundstage wider than it needs to be.

My Sony Z7 is their new top tier hp and as a closed headphone it has a good soundstage but its still not as wide as the HE-400 and HD600. Even though its not as wide I think it has an over all more coherent soundstage with a better 3D presentation. I'm looking forward to hearing the 400i and I think I'm really going to enjoy it because from what I've read the signature seems a lot like what the Z7 in the mids and highs.

Nov 30, 2015 at 12:34 PM Post #5,760 of 14,386
Thanks for the reply and what you say makes a lot of sense to me. Some headphones do sound like they make the soundstage wider than it needs to be.

My Sony Z7 is their new top tier hp and as a closed headphone it has a good soundstage but its still not as wide as the HE-400 and HD600. Even though its not as wide I think it has an over all more coherent soundstage with a better 3D presentation. I'm looking forward to hearing the 400i and I think I'm really going to enjoy it because from what I've read the signature seems a lot like what the Z7 in the mids and highs.

The treble is still more prominent with the 400i than with the Z7, at least that is what I remember. I sold my Z7s a few months before getting the 400i, but the Z7 always felt just a little less engaging. It is hard to describe, but I think the Z7 lacked dimensionality a little. The 400i is a more there experience, some may find it a little less open feeling than they like, but the overall signature is pretty darn solid and if this $299 price thing is still happening it is a bargain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back