Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Jul 29, 2015 at 9:33 AM Post #4,562 of 14,386
  What do you guys think is a good amp pairing for 400i? Your experiences?

In my expereince- anything.  These are the most amp-friendly planars I've heard to date.  Even my iPad air 2 is decent, along with the Schiit Magni.  I perceive no benefit with my Benchmark or Burson.

Jul 29, 2015 at 9:39 AM Post #4,564 of 14,386
  What do you guys think is a good amp pairing for 400i? Your experiences?

In my expereince- anything.  These are the most amp-friendly planars I've heard to date.  Even my iPad air 2 is decent, along with the Schiit Magni.  I perceive no benefit with my Benchmark or Burson.

Can't agree. I just sold my O2 due it was not a very good match for my headphones (you can see my posts on previous pages) ordered beresford capella , will post my impressions when I receive it 

Jul 29, 2015 at 10:09 AM Post #4,565 of 14,386

Can't agree. I just sold my O2 due it was not a very good match for my headphones (you can see my posts on previous pages) ordered beresford capella , will post my impressions when I receive it

Right on!  We do hear things differently.  It's one of the frustrating things about this, the best hobby on the planet: we all have different ears and preferences.  I fall more on the objective side of thing when it comes to amps.  Now, with my Primes, yeah- big difference with amps.  I just love the 400i magic through just about anything more powerful than my smartphone.

edit: I do have a Cavalli Liquid Carbon ordered though- just in case
biggrin.gif

Jul 29, 2015 at 1:36 PM Post #4,566 of 14,386
  Right on!  We do hear things differently.  It's one of the frustrating things about this, the best hobby on the planet: we all have different ears and preferences.  I fall more on the objective side of thing when it comes to amps.  Now, with my Primes, yeah- big difference with amps.  I just love the 400i magic through just about anything more powerful than my smartphone.

biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif

Jul 29, 2015 at 8:35 PM Post #4,567 of 14,386

biggrin.gif

I have a Liquid Carbon coming in too - actually, one of the reasons why I bought it because it sounded so damn good with my 400i that I brought to listen with it.

As for pairing amps with the 400i, I'll agree that the 400i does sound good out of mostly everything, but I do think it just gets better as you get better quality amps.

Jul 29, 2015 at 8:38 PM Post #4,568 of 14,386
I have a Liquid Carbon coming in too - actually, one of the reasons why I bought it because it sounded so damn good with my 400i that I brought to listen with it.

As for pairing amps with the 400i, I'll agree that the 400i does sound good out of mostly everything, but I do think it just gets better as you get better quality amps.

True, but nowhere near as much as my other planars

Jul 31, 2015 at 3:26 PM Post #4,572 of 14,386
It is a very enjoyable headphone to use for sure.

Not sure why, but I'm always suprised to see you write that. Did you expect to like these so much, Tuco?

I didn't.  Coming from the HE-5LE, Alpha Dogs, then Primes, and the HE-560 was I prepared to be unimpressed. But of all my decent heaphones, these are still my go-to set.

Jul 31, 2015 at 3:48 PM Post #4,573 of 14,386
  Not sure why, but I'm always suprised to see you write that. Did you expect to like these so much, Tuco?

I didn't.  Coming from the HE-5LE, Alpha Dogs, then Primes, and the HE-560 was I prepared to be unimpressed. But of all my decent heaphones, these are still my go-to set.

I've also found the HE-400i to be quite impressive despite having many higher-end headphones. I did not end up getting them personally as I am already drowning in headphones & looking to sell, but at its price point it is an extremely competitive option and I can see it preferentially beating out a lot of other headphones up to even the $800 price point. there is also the new he-400s that is getting a lot of interest, so for shoppers of planar magnetics, there are tons of solid options at almost every price point.

Jul 31, 2015 at 5:31 PM Post #4,574 of 14,386
Yes I felt that too, HE-400i were indeed pretty competitive with higher-end headphones in direct comparisons. I´m glad people like them. Last summer I read this thread with great interest, I remember initial impressions were quite promising:  warm/neutral sound signature, very good comfort and relatively easy to drive, it simply "ticked all my boxes ". After personal audition in December I bought HE-400i as a Christmas gift for myself ! Since then they have brought me a lot of positive emotions and that´s why I rate it as the best way I have ever spent 500 euros.
Thank you Dr. Fang and Co., long live the Hifiman !
beerchug.gif

Jul 31, 2015 at 5:43 PM Post #4,575 of 14,386

Well I never auditioned them, but I had high hopes based on what I had read. My only fear was whether or not they would be too bright for my ears. Turns out they are spot on for me. I think they are an excellent value. Just my opinion of course. So yeah I dig them. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back