Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Jun 29, 2015 at 7:44 PM Post #4,411 of 14,386
@mandrake50, just tried my friends ODAC/O2 with my HE-400i and its better than with just the X3ii but still lacks the dynamics that the Lyr2 and Ember deliver.  I say is a good recommendation for someone on a budget as its sounds fairly neutral, less bright than the Magni.

Jun 29, 2015 at 8:23 PM Post #4,412 of 14,386
  @mandrake50, just tried my friends ODAC/O2 with my HE-400i and its better than with just the X3ii but still lacks the dynamics that the Lyr2 and Ember deliver.  I say is a good recommendation for someone on a budget as its sounds fairly neutral, less bright than the Magni.

Yes it is not bad, though not a monster amp. t can be improved as well.  built one with all of the high end parts that are called out in the plans. I also have the JDS build. The one  built with the premium parts is definitely a bit smoother , yet more detailed. It only cost me ...maybe $50 or so for the upgrades. So yes, for someone starting out with the 400i that is on a budget, it is a viable option. Depending on how much money one wants to put into it, there are DAC/Amp , or standalone units that may add to the experience,, of course, depending on how critical one listens. However, there are those around here that are perfectly happy with the ODAC/O2 setup as their home or office go to system! It is also nice that it is transportable and mobile using the internal batteries.

BTW, I also use a Polaris and a Sunrise III to good effect with the HE400i. Both are a considerably cheaper than the Ember or Lyr 2. Something else to consider for a budget system.

Jun 30, 2015 at 10:31 AM Post #4,413 of 14,386
I purchased these headphones on a whim considering i have the HE-500.. These phones are mad comfortable and I forgot that i actually had these on!!! ...I notice a little bit  of a difference between this and the he-500 but the comfort wins hands down. Do you guys think the 400i would scale well with the LYR 2?.. I have a Bifrost Uber dac also.

Jun 30, 2015 at 10:59 AM Post #4,414 of 14,386
  I purchased these headphones on a whim considering i have the HE-500.. These phones are mad comfortable and I forgot that i actually had these on!!! ...I notice a little bit  of a difference between this and the he-500 but the comfort wins hands down. Do you guys think the 400i would scale well with the LYR 2?.. I have a Bifrost Uber dac also.

They will scale well with the lyr2/Biforst combo.  Tubes will make some difference, I like the Reflectors that I have in now or my Telefunken CCa.

Jun 30, 2015 at 11:00 AM Post #4,415 of 14,386

Yes it is not bad, though not a monster amp. t can be improved as well.  built one with all of the high end parts that are called out in the plans. I also have the JDS build. The one  built with the premium parts is definitely a bit smoother , yet more detailed. It only cost me ...maybe $50 or so for the upgrades. So yes, for someone starting out with the 400i that is on a budget, it is a viable option. Depending on how much money one wants to put into it, there are DAC/Amp , or standalone units that may add to the experience,, of course, depending on how critical one listens. However, there are those around here that are perfectly happy with the ODAC/O2 setup as their home or office go to system! It is also nice that it is transportable and mobile using the internal batteries.

BTW, I also use a Polaris and a Sunrise III to good effect with the HE400i. Both are a considerably cheaper than the Ember or Lyr 2. Something else to consider for a budget system.

Hi Mandrake, may I ask you about the amps maker?
Why does Garage1217 decides to do their amps on an open-air no-side chassis?
What's their philosophy for this? Why make them open like that?

-------
edit : Nevermind, just read their about us webpage

Jul 1, 2015 at 6:03 PM Post #4,416 of 14,386
So the other day I decided to cut the foam ring that comes with hifiman pleather pads to the right size and put it under the focuspads. It got rid of a bit of that intimacy of the presentation (read, more soundstage).maybe lost some bass/lower mids emphasis and decay. Its interesting.

Jul 3, 2015 at 12:35 PM Post #4,417 of 14,386
What do you think about the 400i vs 400s?
I know it's soon but im undecided ...
blink.gif

Jul 3, 2015 at 4:15 PM Post #4,419 of 14,386
I just got my HE-400i and the Gotham cable I just got was far better than the stock cable. The soundstage was improved a great deal, in width and the sound was more crisp. The treble was more natural. I heard both the HE-560 and the HE-400i at the Denver meet and while the HE-560 has a richer sound with a far greater soundstage. With the new cable the differences became smaller with the soundstage showing the greatest improvement. I would have to agree that the stock cable is holding the HE400i back. This is the second time in my life that I can hear the night and day difference in cables. I  still find the HE400i to be smoother for my needs and the 400I really shines with the large chorus works.

P.S. I will be checking out the HE-400S when it comes in.

Jul 3, 2015 at 4:23 PM Post #4,420 of 14,386
  I just got my HE-400i and the Gotham cable I just got was far better than the stock cable. The soundstage was improved a great deal, in width and the sound was more crisp. The treble was more natural. I heard both the HE-560 and the HE-400i at the Denver meet and while the HE-560 has a richer sound with a far greater soundstage. With the new cable the differences became smaller with the soundstage showing the greatest improvement. I would have to agree that the stock cable is holding the HE400i back. This is the second time in my life that I can hear the night and day difference in cables. I  still find the HE400i to be smoother for my needs and the 400I really shines with the large chorus works.

P.S. I will be checking out the HE-400S when it comes in.

Hey John,
I think it was my set of 400i that you heard. Another thing you may consider is the grill mod. I did find that it gave what I interpreted as a bit more air... and some soundstage improvement as well.
Tell me more about the Gotham cable.

Jul 5, 2015 at 7:42 AM Post #4,421 of 14,386
I have been using the 400i with a Vali amp. The combination sounds good, harshness free and very fast decay of beats. But somewhat I am missing a bit more definition in the lower end. I suspect the Vali is slightly underpowered for the 400i. I have noticed that other headphones on the Vali scale much better than the 400i relative to an iPod or similars. Inam looking for an alternative for the Vali. Perhaps the Asgard 2 or Magni 2? Which one would give me that lower end definition and presence with my headphones?

Jul 5, 2015 at 12:31 PM Post #4,422 of 14,386
I have been using the 400i with a Vali amp. The combination sounds good, harshness free and very fast decay of beats. But somewhat I am missing a bit more definition in the lower end. I suspect the Vali is slightly underpowered for the 400i. I have noticed that other headphones on the Vali scale much better than the 400i relative to an iPod or similars. Inam looking for an alternative for the Vali. Perhaps the Asgard 2 or Magni 2? Which one would give me that lower end definition and presence with my headphones?

The Vali has more than enough power. It may just have a softer bass presentation than what you're looking for. I'd try EQing up the bass a bit and if that doesn't work, try a solid state amp.

Jul 5, 2015 at 12:36 PM Post #4,423 of 14,386

I really enjoy my 400i one of my better investments for the price. I agree that the 400i has a very fast decay of beats. I believe that the headphone should follow the decay in the recording. Most of my music that I listen to are acoustically recorded music done on location.  I wanted to hear just the soundstage of the recording without the headphone adding to the soundstage. Some of the headphones at the meet made the sound like it was being played in a bigger hall that it is actually taken place. You might been asking for more sub bass with definition improvement.    Unique headphones without the sibilance. Since I do not know the answer to your question I wanted to give you a third option, the Magni 2  with the Uber option. Still cheaper than the Asgard 2. The Vali might been softer sounding for the headphone. 

Jul 5, 2015 at 1:06 PM Post #4,425 of 14,386
Yeah, that is why I thought about the magni 2 and the Asgard 2. I will keep the Vali no matter what for my office. From other generic posts comparing the M2 and the A2, it seems that the Magni 2 can be brighter. The Asgard 2 is slightly more expensive but a better investment given that I already have a Vali?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back