Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Nov 4, 2014 at 6:45 PM Post #2,671 of 14,386
Nothing is wrong with the headphones or setup, the sound is just very average. They don't sound like ortho's and they don't sound like $500 headphones in my opinion. Maybe I'm still just adjusting to them. I've been using just speakers for the past 4 months or so. 

Nov 4, 2014 at 6:56 PM Post #2,672 of 14,386
  Nothing is wrong with the headphones or setup, the sound is just very average. They don't sound like ortho's and they don't sound like $500 headphones in my opinion. Maybe I'm still just adjusting to them. I've been using just speakers for the past 4 months or so. 

Give it some time.

"Veiled" is about the last word I'd apply to the 400is.  

But coming from the HD800s, and then speakers, the soundstage is DEFINITELY going to take some getting used to.

Nov 4, 2014 at 7:10 PM Post #2,673 of 14,386

My demo HE-400i's sounded so much better after I burned them in for 150 hours. And they were even better when I put in Telefunken E88CC platinum tubes, so burn them in a bit, and with any luck they will sound good to you.

Nov 4, 2014 at 9:42 PM Post #2,674 of 14,386

Is this compared to the HD800 (judging by your profile pic)? Because detail and (especially) soundstage on that can would definitely be at least a step above the 400is

Nov 5, 2014 at 8:36 AM Post #2,676 of 14,386
Burn in or just getting use to them took me 2 months. But I really like them now.

These are awesome phones for me as well as many others from the first day I listened to them. I went to a Head-fi meet a few months back and compared these to the LCD-2 and they were vary close (I still preferred these),even the owner of the LCDs was dissapointed that he could have saved money buying the 400i's.

Nov 5, 2014 at 9:38 AM Post #2,677 of 14,386
These are awesome phones for me as well as many others from the first day I listened to them. I went to a Head-fi meet a few months back and compared these to the LCD-2 and they were vary close (I still preferred these),even the owner of the LCDs was dissapointed that he could have saved money buying the 400i's.
did the lcd have more bass

Nov 5, 2014 at 4:51 PM Post #2,679 of 14,386
Can anyone try removing just one baffle clip on each earpad symmetrically. To me its tamed the treble and brought sub bass is on whole new level!
Also depending on which baffles clip you decide to change changes the sound slightly 
basshead.gif

Nov 7, 2014 at 6:10 PM Post #2,680 of 14,386
Forget what I said before about being unimpressed by these. I'm now using just a Schiit Asgard and Maverick Audio D1+ and they vastly improve the sound. My only gripes now are that I wish the sound-stage, imaging, and separation were a bit better. 

Nov 7, 2014 at 6:41 PM Post #2,681 of 14,386
Forget what I said before about being unimpressed by these. I'm now using just a Schiit Asgard and Maverick Audio D1+ and they vastly improve the sound. My only gripes now are that I wish the sound-stage, imaging, and separation were a bit better. 
they will get better with time. After 2 months im now realize how good they are for under $500

Nov 8, 2014 at 12:23 PM Post #2,682 of 14,386
they will get better with time. After 2 months im now realize how good they are for under $500

Yaay!  Way to hang in there, and post about the process.

At the moment I'm letting Ufomammut's "Magickal Mastery" live album pound my brain a bit.  Glorious!

Nov 8, 2014 at 12:32 PM Post #2,684 of 14,386

Hey swspiers, how do the Alpha Dogs compare to your 400i's?

Not was well as I would have liked.  The Dogs are clearly great headphones, and gave me a lot of good listening over the past year.  The 400i's are simply better all-around headphones for me, and very genre neutral.  The Dogs shined on stellar material, but fell flat compared to the 400i's on the majority of my collection.

That being the case, I just mailed the Dogs to Mr. Speakers for the upgrade to the Alpha Prime.  Even if they are stellar, flagship-level headphones, the 400i's seem like the best deal in the entire hobby to me right now.  They just amaze me on every amp I have, and every source, including my darn HTC One cellphone.

Nov 8, 2014 at 3:06 PM Post #2,685 of 14,386

Not was well as I would have liked.  The Dogs are clearly great headphones, and gave me a lot of good listening over the past year.  The 400i's are simply better all-around headphones for me, and very genre neutral.  The Dogs shined on stellar material, but fell flat compared to the 400i's on the majority of my collection.

That being the case, I just mailed the Dogs to Mr. Speakers for the upgrade to the Alpha Prime.  Even if they are stellar, flagship-level headphones, the 400i's seem like the best deal in the entire hobby to me right now.  They just amaze me on every amp I have, and every source, including my darn HTC One cellphone.

Thats good to hear!  Im contemplating getting the Audeze lambskin pads to increase the soundstage - which i think is the only real weakness to the 400i. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back