Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Nov 4, 2014 at 11:25 AM Post #2,658 of 14,386
Any good mods to enhance the bass

Jerg bass mod, check the 560i discussion thread. He might have created his own post about it.  Requires double sided tape for better seal, foam to fill in the tabs in the mounting bracket and cutting holes in the pads themselves for better venting.

Not the easiest mod. 

You can also try pad rolling, the Audeze lambskin pads might give you a bigger chamber for bigger bass? shrug. I'm going to try and fit the NVX PT100 angled pads to try and increase sound stage. 

Nov 4, 2014 at 11:29 AM Post #2,659 of 14,386
I didn't really notice much of a bass increase while taping the pads down on my HE-400 or my 560 he modded for me.  If you want the easiest and most effective solution to 'enhancing' the bass (I assume that means more bass to you), then just EQ the bass up.

Nov 4, 2014 at 12:34 PM Post #2,663 of 14,386
I really wish my town had a high end audio place where they had demo units, i want to see if the 560 is a noticeable upgrade over the 400i.  I feel like the only advantages is the greater bass extension and wider sound stage (which i might be able to tweak with pad rolling). 

The extra refinement and smoother response around the 9k area might not be worth it for me, assuming i can even tell the difference unless im ABing them. 

Nov 4, 2014 at 2:20 PM Post #2,665 of 14,386
I really wish my town had a high end audio place where they had demo units, i want to see if the 560 is a noticeable upgrade over the 400i.  I feel like the only advantages is the greater bass extension and wider sound stage (which i might be able to tweak with pad rolling). 

The extra refinement and smoother response around the 9k area might not be worth it for me, assuming i can even tell the difference unless im ABing them. 
u was under the impression the 560 had less bass

Nov 4, 2014 at 5:38 PM Post #2,667 of 14,386
After giving the 400i's some time with decent amplification, I'm unsure how I feel. They are a bit veiled, not very technical, and have a narrow soundstage. The bass is...weak, for an ortho. Is it just me? 

Nov 4, 2014 at 6:26 PM Post #2,668 of 14,386
  After giving the 400i's some time with decent amplification, I'm unsure how I feel. They are a bit veiled, not very technical, and have a narrow soundstage. The bass is...weak, for an ortho. Is it just me? 

I can't say it's just you, but whether I used the FiiO E10, Schiit Magni, Burson Soloist or even my HTC One cellphone, I have found them to be revealing, very technical but fun at the same time, expansive with incredible depth of soundstage. Sounds like you and I are not listening to the same headphones.  What's your source/DAC/Amp?

Nov 4, 2014 at 6:28 PM Post #2,669 of 14,386
Currently I am just using a Maverick Audio D1+ that I'm borrowing from a friend while trying to decide whether or not these headphones are worth keeping. 

Nov 4, 2014 at 6:39 PM Post #2,670 of 14,386
Man, there could be a problem in the signal chain somewhere.  The first place I look when I hear something like that are all of the cable connections, and everything else from there.  When I auditioned the HE-560's a few months back, I had two amps go bad on me and two cables.  It was not fun, and I was not happy.

However, I managed to fix the Burson, bought a Schiit Magni and an entirely new and awesome Emotiva separate amp and pre-amp.  It came out OK, and I promptly bought the 400i's (and fell in love....awwww....)

What other headphones do you use? Was the op-amp rolled in the Maverick?  Is the voltage set-up correctly?  Trouble shooting is fun...........enjoy?

Oh, and dudes better at trouble-shooting over the site than I am might stop by and comment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back