Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Sep 24, 2014 at 12:45 PM Post #2,221 of 14,386
I have an X1 that the bass is very neutral sounding, my friend has one that the bass is much more prevalent(beyond DT990 lvls). Both are the /28. He purchased them about a week after they were for sale on Amazon, mine were bought about 2 months later.

I have tested them both on the same set-up, major difference don't know why.

Interesting... Possible manufacturing consistency issues. Hopefully sorted out by now. Surprising for an outfit with the experience and rep of Philips.

Sep 24, 2014 at 11:55 PM Post #2,224 of 14,386

Just got my 400i's today so this impression may be a little premature but what the hell.
Let me say up front that I love these things. I was afraid they would be heavy, they are not! They a super light and very comfortable. They are as comfortable as any other headphones I own which include the HD650, Q701, T90 and a couple others(Sony, Grado, Audio Technica, Fisher Audio, etc.)
I think they are a very natural sounding headphone, not too much bass and not too much treble, just right. I find the HD650's have too much bass to sound natural, the T90's tend to be sibilant with the Q701's leaning to sibilance as well. The 400i's however, tend to go straight down the middle of light and dark with a very (to my ear) natural sound. I think these may very well become my favourite cans. So far have only used them with my Shanling PH-300 hybrid amp as it was on at the time I wanted to plug the cans in to an amp. So far very impressive. Eight more amps to go so I will be busy playing with my toys for a while but so far a very good beginning.
Now don't go all ape-**** on me as this IS NOT a review of these cans as there are many others who are better qualified to do that, these are just my initial impressions of these lovely cans that I wanted to share with the other forum members.
Happy listening!
Edit: Forgot to mention the packaging of these cans. It is absolutely top class! Like opening  up a fine watch, or jewellery. They really went out of their way to making opening these an event high in anticipation of the fine treasure within. The best packaging I have ever had for a headphone. Makes you realise that you have purchased something special.

Sep 25, 2014 at 5:26 AM Post #2,226 of 14,386

Just
Now don't go all ape-**** on me as this IS NOT a review of these cans as there are many others who are better qualified to do that, these are just my initial impressions of these lovely cans that I wanted to share with the other forum members.
Happy listening!
Edit: Forgot to mention the packaging of these cans. It is absolutely top class! Like opening  up a fine watch, or jewellery. They really went out of their way to making opening these an event high in anticipation of the fine treasure within. The best packaging I have ever had for a headphone. Makes you realise that you have purchased something special.

You are as qualified to write in impression or review as anyone else on Head-fi.

Of course, I'm biased.  I agree with every word you wrote! 
biggrin.gif

Sep 25, 2014 at 11:40 AM Post #2,228 of 14,386
I would take less fancy packaging. For a reduced price. Also they do sound good. But I miss the bass of my 400

I agree. However, nowadays if you look at reviews of all flagship type headphones, the packaging is a criteria of their review. So kinda sad. However, if the packaging is massproduced, I doubt it really adds that much cost into the product. I feel like most companies would have a target MSRP for where they want their product to compete & whatever target profit margin. The nice boxing is probably doesn't affect either variable much.

I personally would prefer more cool accessories over a box (like alternative earpads/different cable lengths/carrying case).

edit: I thought it was pretty neat that Oppo offers that for their PM-1, but it's sound seemed tuned towards a bit less resolving/audiophiley for a very easy to enjoy while high-class neutral sound. Also, that $1000+ price barrier makes me nervous haahh.

Sep 25, 2014 at 9:57 PM Post #2,229 of 14,386
I have read through dozens of pages of this He400i thread and the He-500 thread and am no closer in figuring out which headphone is superior for my needs. There aren't many reviews with direct comparisons but the ones I have read are 50/50. When it comes to looks, comfort, and ease of driving, the 400i comes out ahead. However, sonically, I'm hearing a lot of conflicting info. Some stores who have auditioned both have mentioned that clarity, soundstage and bass are better on the 400i, however other people are describing the opposite. Is it just a case of them being too similar to tell apart? I've got both headphones sitting in a shopping cart and i can't decide. Does anyone here have any experience with both? 

Sep 25, 2014 at 11:18 PM Post #2,230 of 14,386
I have read through dozens of pages of this He400i thread and the He-500 thread and am no closer in figuring out which headphone is superior for my needs. There aren't many reviews with direct comparisons but the ones I have read are 50/50. When it comes to looks, comfort, and ease of driving, the 400i comes out ahead. However, sonically, I'm hearing a lot of conflicting info. Some stores who have auditioned both have mentioned that clarity, soundstage and bass are better on the 400i, however other people are describing the opposite. Is it just a case of them being too similar to tell apart? I've got both headphones sitting in a shopping cart and i can't decide. Does anyone here have any experience with both? 
if yur not a basehead go with the 400i

Sep 26, 2014 at 1:27 AM Post #2,231 of 14,386

I've heard both, and they sound extremely similar to each other. If you actually look at my first post about the 400i's (it's way back somewhere in the thread), I might've mentioned that the 500 sounded a bit different from the 400i, but I think that was because I heard the two headphones on different amps and sources.

Basically, in my experience, they both sound almost the same. I don't really think you could call one better over the other.

Sep 26, 2014 at 6:20 AM Post #2,232 of 14,386
from what I've read, it seems HE-400i has slightly more refined bass as well as better treble extension and the HE-500 has a bigger soundstage. comfort on HE-500 isn't that good, whereas HE-400i is among the most comfortable, and also easy to drive. A lot of people praise the 400i as being natural sounding, whereas a lot of people have said the HE-500 is a bit euphoric, but also not convincing in its realism. i wonder

Sep 26, 2014 at 7:09 AM Post #2,233 of 14,386
  from what I've read, it seems HE-400i has slightly more refined bass as well as better treble extension and the HE-500 has a bigger soundstage. comfort on HE-500 isn't that good, whereas HE-400i is among the most comfortable, and also easy to drive. A lot of people praise the 400i as being natural sounding, whereas a lot of people have said the HE-500 is a bit euphoric, but also not convincing in its realism. i wonder

This and the other preceding comments are pretty much spot on. Sound stage is slightly better on the 500 and it's much less comfortable for me than the 400i. Remember that the goal hifiman stated in the beginning was to voice this headphone (400i) like the 500. Well, goal accomplished. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back