Hifiman HE-400i and HE-560: From CES to Pre-Launch
Mar 1, 2014 at 4:07 PM Post #2,146 of 3,091
The SMC connectors are plenty sturdy, they are just annoying as hell to take on and off.

The way they lock in is not the problem.
Rather, the connectors themselves are.
Pull on them and they can pop out, or so I heard.
I'd be scared of that happening to me on the go.

Mar 1, 2014 at 4:15 PM Post #2,147 of 3,091
  The SMC connectors are plenty sturdy, they are just annoying as hell to take on and off.

I see a lot of complaints about the coax connectors, I'm just curious why so many people take them on and off? Is it for travel purposes? When I owned mine I took the cable off exactly zero times after I attached it. They never came loose and I had no problems whatsoever with it (other then the cables unnecessarily long length). It may not be ideal, but they seemed solid to me.

Mar 1, 2014 at 4:22 PM Post #2,148 of 3,091
I see a lot of complaints about the coax connectors, I'm just curious why so many people take them on and off? Is it for travel purposes? When I owned mine I took the cable off exactly zero times after I attached it. They never came loose and I had no problems whatsoever with it (other then the cables unnecessarily long length). It may not be ideal, but they seemed solid to me.
I've taken them off for travel purposes only. It takes like 3 seconds to screw them on or off.. I really cannot understand the complaints.

Mar 1, 2014 at 4:45 PM Post #2,149 of 3,091
Because they are stiff and not really ideal for headphones. IMO.
Also they are basically exposed at the entry point... Some cable purists might find issues with it.
I don't care for them as long as they are meant for home use.
But if we really want to have an easy to drive portable ortho, the coax IMO has to go...
The way the coax entry point is imbued/fused into the headphone has also rarely caused a structural failure, according to others (the coax connector popping out of the cups)
I probably won't be using these for traveling so I wouldn't care just saying what I think the reason is.

Mar 1, 2014 at 5:02 PM Post #2,150 of 3,091
The connectors need improvement, true. But it ain't exactly a fatal problem or anything. I'll probably do a hardwire if my connector ever breaks.

Mar 1, 2014 at 5:02 PM Post #2,151 of 3,091
Portable HifiMan cans? WoW! This I gotta try out. Now it's going to be a battle royale between the He-400i the He-500 and the He-560 . I already know that the He-560 will be better due to the high price (wish they would lower to $700) , but the He-400i and He-500 battle is going to be interesting to say the least.

Mar 1, 2014 at 5:11 PM Post #2,152 of 3,091
I am waiting patiently for some impressions. I need to know how things will fall into place before I make a major purchase. Let's hope the community comes through and we get some solid impressions.

Subscribed
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 1, 2014 at 5:11 PM Post #2,153 of 3,091
  Portable HifiMan cans? WoW! This I gotta try out. Now it's going to be a battle royale between the He-400i the He-500 and the He-560 . I already know that the He-560 will be better due to the high price (wish they would lower to $700) , but the He-400i and He-500 battle is going to be interesting to say the least.

We'll see.. It's all about what you value. I doubt any of the 2 headphones in the new line up will be universally better than HE-500.

Mar 1, 2014 at 7:16 PM Post #2,156 of 3,091
I don't like the smc's because several times when I've been listening to the headphones the sound will cut out from one driver because the connector has come slightly loose.  It's not the end of the world but it's annoying!

Mar 1, 2014 at 7:34 PM Post #2,157 of 3,091
  I don't like the smc's because several times when I've been listening to the headphones the sound will cut out from one driver because the connector has come slightly loose.  It's not the end of the world but it's annoying!

Coming loose? uh... I can't even see that happening to my HE-500 ever. The connection is so solid and tight that I can't see how it would come loose.

Mar 1, 2014 at 7:39 PM Post #2,158 of 3,091
^^ It screws on...it can come loose. If you don't wind the cable counterclockwise before threading the connector on, there is a good chance that it will come loose eventually.

Mar 1, 2014 at 7:41 PM Post #2,159 of 3,091
  ^^ It screws on...it can come loose. If you don't wind the cable counterclockwise before threading the connector on, there is a good chance that it will come loose eventually.

Well..that's why I wind it before threading it on. It's kind of a given to do that IMO.

Mar 1, 2014 at 7:42 PM Post #2,160 of 3,091

Well..that's why I wind it before threading it on. It's kind of a given to do that IMO.

Intuitive and simple enough of a concept, but you'd be surprised at how few people actually think to do it this way.

Most people probably just "oh it's a screw-on connector, lemme just screw it on!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back