Hifiman HE-400i and HE-560: From CES to Pre-Launch
Feb 19, 2014 at 1:10 PM Post #1,906 of 3,091
  For HFM to discontinue the HE-400 and HE-500, Dr. Fang must have high confidence that his new creations will eclipse them in terms of performance. I personally love my EQ'd HE-400 through the Asgard 2, but I don't like it nearly as much without EQ. Too much treble, mainly.

They made a similar move with the new IEM line.

I still didn't make the move, I love the RE-262 too much (bargain), plus they remind me of my (long) departed HE-500 (mid-centric).

Feb 19, 2014 at 5:00 PM Post #1,909 of 3,091
  At that price it's one of if not the best buy in the game. The only other hp that I'd put against it at this price point would be the Alpha Dog. 

Or the HE-5LE :wink:

No...but really, the HE-5LE. I'm curious, do people actually prefer the HE-500 over the HE-5LE, or is it just that so few people have heard the HE-5LE that everyone naturally talks about the HE-500? I not only prefer the HE-5LE over the HE-500, I think it's substantially better sounding. And you can pick one up used usually for ~$500, even less expensive than the HE-500.

In any case, I've only just recently heard about the HE-400i and HE-560, so I'm subbing to this thread and staying tuned in!

Feb 19, 2014 at 5:11 PM Post #1,910 of 3,091

No...but really, the HE-5LE. I'm curious, do people actually prefer the HE-500 over the HE-5LE, or is it just that so few people have heard the HE-5LE that everyone naturally talks about the HE-500? I not only prefer the HE-5LE over the HE-500, I think it's substantially better sounding. And you can pick one up used usually for ~$500, even less expensive than the HE-500.

In any case, I've only just recently heard about the HE-400i and HE-560, so I'm subbing to this thread and staying tuned in!

I wonder how different sounding the HE-5LE is to the HE4 since they're basically the same driver with the HE4 only a single ended. FWIW I much prefer the HE4 to the HE500

Feb 19, 2014 at 5:28 PM Post #1,911 of 3,091

I was auditioning HE-5LE last week on my Lyr (A\B with HE-500). I wouldn't say it is better. It is different. HE-5LE (IMO) has much wider stage than HE-500. It also has less mids and more highs. HE-500 on the other hand has better bass and outstanding mids. The rest is about the same. When listening to some tracks I had a feeling that HE-5LE were kind a lifeless. They have body but no soul. If you know what I mean.     

Feb 19, 2014 at 5:32 PM Post #1,912 of 3,091
I hope someone gets both of the new Hifimans prior to launch so that when they finally launch I can pick one ;D

Feb 19, 2014 at 5:44 PM Post #1,913 of 3,091

I was auditioning HE-5LE last week on my Lyr (A\B with HE-500). I wouldn't say it is better. It is different. HE-5LE (IMO) has much wider stage than HE-500. It also has less mids and more highs. HE-500 on the other hand has better bass and outstanding mids. The rest is about the same. When listening to some tracks I had a feeling that HE-5LE were kind a lifeless. They have body but no soul. If you know what I mean.     

The 500 does not have better bass than the 5LE. It has more quantity but it is slightly boomy and elevated. The 5LE is tighter and more neutral.

As for the mids, I agree, the 500 is mid-centric and has a very nice lushness that make vocal so seductive. The 5LE is less lush (drier if you will) but still closer to the 500s than the 4s in that area. In tonality, the 5LE sits in the middle of HE-500 vs HE-4/6. Technically it is probably on par (if not slightly better) with the 500.

The 5LE has raw treble that makes it better suited for Rock music (and its derivatives) than the 500. It is more airy and more dynamic but has less bottom end impact. Tighter, cleaner, less romantic... you got it :wink:

I love both but ended up keeping the 5LE in the end.

Feb 19, 2014 at 5:53 PM Post #1,914 of 3,091
  I wonder how different sounding the HE-5LE is to the HE4 since they're basically the same driver with the HE4 only a single ended. FWIW I much prefer the HE4 to the HE500

HE-5LE and HE-4 sound very close. The only difference as I could hear it was the HE-5LE is more refined sounding - less etched, smoother, more realism in the vocals. Basically a bigger, more mature brother to the HE-4. I like both btw, and would use the HE-4 over the HE-500 too.

The 500 does not have better bass than the 5LE. It has more quantity but it is slightly boomy and elevated. The 5LE is tighter and more neutral.

As for the mids, I agree, the 500 is mid-centric and has a very nice lushness that make vocal so seductive. The 5LE is less lush (drier if you will) but still closer to the 500s than the 4s in that area. In tonality, the 5LE sits in the middle of HE-500 vs HE-4/6. Technically it is probably on par (if not slightly better) with the 500.

The 5LE has raw treble that makes it better suited for Rock music (and its derivatives) than the 500. It is more airy and more dynamic but has less bottom end impact. Tighter, cleaner, less romantic... you got it :wink:

Well said. It does come down to preference. I quite prefer the vocals of the 5LE to the 500. You said it though, the 500's vocals are lush and seductive. That's just not for me - I don't want my vocals romanticized, I want them realistic and life-like. The 5LE does a better job of this, imo. As for bass, I also prefer the 5LE - tighter with great impact, thus less slow sounding. As for highs, I also prefer the 5LE, but then again I listen to a lot of rock and aggressive music :wink:

Feb 19, 2014 at 8:26 PM Post #1,915 of 3,091
  I still think the Emotiva will work well with the new lineup. But who knows, it might be too much power at that point--however you can still add resistors so who cares.

Wow that's quite affordable. Thanks, I'll put it on my list of amp candidates.

Project Ember and Garage 1217s upcoming solid state would probably be great contenders at that price. Schiit seems to have great choices as well. So many choices considering the new line-up are marketed to be efficient. I would still lean towards 1000mW however, just because Orthos and ample headroom are a good thing to have.

Do you happen to know how Project Ember compares to the Lyr?

I imagine the Schiit Lyr will drive them very well.  I saw that RazorDog has an open-box deal on the HE-6s, so I got curious if the Lyr could do all right with them, given how difficult they are to drive.  A quick googlin' revealed a few reviews wherein the HE-6s are tested with the Lyr.  The reviewers definitely liked the Lyr + HE-6 combo, saying that while it's not the best amp for them, at $1500+ cheaper than the next best alternative, it holds its own.

I only mention that to show what the Lyr can do with planar magnetics.  And one need not spend a small fortune on tubes to make it all sound good.  I can see the HE-6s or HE-560s (or something beyond those) in my (probably) distant future.

That said, no doubt the Asgard 2 will drive the new HFMs fine, if you prefer solid state.  Time will tell.

I'll enjoy my HE-500s quite happily until then.

Yeah the Lyr is currently at the top of my list of amp candidates. Haven't owned a tube amp before so I might just take this chance and get one.

Thanks all of you for the recommendations!

Feb 19, 2014 at 8:29 PM Post #1,916 of 3,091
Yeah no problem! I'm also curious about he project ember. However I have a thing against schiit amps for some reason and do not find any of them appealing.

Feb 19, 2014 at 11:55 PM Post #1,917 of 3,091
Where the hell were all these HE-4 testimonies back when they were fresh? Lol.I must have been like the 2nd guy to vouch for them, and it all went silent after that.

:p

Feb 20, 2014 at 3:01 AM Post #1,919 of 3,091

I've got the 5LE and HE-500 with me, trying to decide. For some reason the 5LE is an easier listen to me, not as fatigueing compared to the 500's despite the elevated mid treble. I can't quite put my finger on why that is so.
I think the 500 is more coherent sounding, though. The 5le is more open sounding with bigger sound stage, but also more raw and seems less balanced in the mids and treble to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back