Hifiman HE-400i and HE-560: From CES to Pre-Launch
Feb 20, 2014 at 1:27 PM Post #1,936 of 3,091
Ow, can't wait for those exciting times ahead :D
I do hope the 560/400i releases alongside otherwise I might just spring for the 560 :D

Feb 20, 2014 at 2:50 PM Post #1,937 of 3,091
I'm really excited to see how these compare to the 400 and 500.

I'm a little anxious, though, because I just got the 400 and 500 over the holiday season. I haven't had much time to enjoy them.

I especially love the 500, but the 400 is also awesome if paired with a good amp that does not over emphasize the treble.

Now these new models are coming out, and you know how neurotic it makes someone when they just got something and something new and maybe better is coming out.

So I'm going to be stoic about it. It will be some months before the kinks get hammered out and everyone gets a handle on how these new phones sound.

Meanwhile, my 400s and 500s aren't going to sound worse over time. They sound great!

So I think I'll follow this thread, enjoy my phones, see how things pan out with these new ones, and maybe pick them up when and if they go on sale the next holiday season.

Delayed satisfaction! But at least I'm loving my 400s and 500s!

Feb 20, 2014 at 3:09 PM Post #1,939 of 3,091
I already own the HE-6 that I love but really curious about that new 560. I wonder if I should bother or just wait for the new Oppo's?
Some of life's difficult choices...
rolleyes.gif

Feb 20, 2014 at 3:25 PM Post #1,940 of 3,091
  I already own the HE-6 that I love but really curious about that new 560. I wonder if I should bother or just wait for the new Oppo's?
Some of life's difficult choices...
rolleyes.gif

Who knows just when the Oppo planar comes out [at last...]
I don't think I can wait that long [I too am eyeing both the Oppo and the 560 >D].

Feb 20, 2014 at 3:46 PM Post #1,941 of 3,091
See, you have to make the smart play like me, spend all your money on DAC and amp before they come out, that way I'm too poor to buy them at launch, by the time people have finished comparing the 560 to the 500 my wallet may have recouped enough to get one :D

Feb 20, 2014 at 4:13 PM Post #1,942 of 3,091
See, you have to make the smart play like me, spend all your money on DAC and amp before they come out, that way I'm too poor to buy them at launch, by the time people have finished comparing the 560 to the 500 my wallet may have recouped enough to get one
biggrin.gif

But I need the headphone now :D
I've been saving for it for some time now and the balance is ready :p
The sooner the merrier. 

Feb 20, 2014 at 4:26 PM Post #1,943 of 3,091
See, you have to make the smart play like me, spend all your money on DAC and amp before they come out, that way I'm too poor to buy them at launch, by the time people have finished comparing the 560 to the 500 my wallet may have recouped enough to get one
biggrin.gif

I'm in a similar boat. I cleaned out the last of my funds on some second-hand 500s before they start to become scarce (if that happens) and will patiently wait for reviews and comparisons while I save to decide if I want the 560s as well or instead of the 500s...

Feb 20, 2014 at 4:41 PM Post #1,944 of 3,091

I've got the 5LE and HE-500 with me, trying to decide. For some reason the 5LE is an easier listen to me, not as fatigueing compared to the 500's despite the elevated mid treble. I can't quite put my finger on why that is so.
I think the 500 is more coherent sounding, though. The 5le is more open sounding with bigger sound stage, but also more raw and seems less balanced in the mids and treble to me.

Maybe the boost in the presence region is too much for you (500)?

The HE-5LE has darker upper mid which gives them a monitor tonality that I love. It is nothing like the complete lack of upper mids the HE-400 has, of course.

The Alpha Pads do wonder with the 5LE or HE-4, btw.

My thinking too, but I still can't put my finger on it.. Perhaps it is just the nature of the HE-500, which makes you want to turn the volume louder and louder if you know what I mean.

Am thinking whether to remove the star felt or not. I have a feeling that it might sound good with the Jerg pads to remove excess treble energy and other artefacts along with bringing plenty of clarity to the table. Just speculations, though. 

Don't really think I'll get around to ordering the alpha pads, as it is from the states and shipping + taxes will add to the cost.

Feb 20, 2014 at 5:46 PM Post #1,945 of 3,091
Yeah, with tech it generally doesn't hurt to wait. There's always some improved version around the corner and prices for a particular model tend to decrease as new ones come out.

Of course, there's the odd exception that something becomes a classic and is much missed after it's no longer available.

For example, the AKG K501, which is arguably a better performer in some key ways compared to what AKG is offering now.

But that is rare. So if you can wait, you have the benefit of knowing which one is better for you.

Feb 20, 2014 at 9:30 PM Post #1,950 of 3,091
popcorn.gif
<-- was a big part of my day yesterday... literally. My college has free popcorn, great for those munchies that we all know everyone has in college :wink: Too bad that was the day I also realized that bubbles had broke.

I'm still awaiting my response about the headband. Meanwhile a used HE-500 with a small scratch is lingering in the classifieds for $480
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back