Hifiman HE-400i and HE-560: From CES to Pre-Launch
Mar 9, 2014 at 8:11 AM Post #2,311 of 3,091
  You guys are awful...
rolleyes.gif

Here's to a great release right out of the gate. 

atsmile.gif

Just like the 901! 
blink.gif

Mar 9, 2014 at 4:14 PM Post #2,312 of 3,091
What's a BHC?
Quick question. Given that the goal with the efficiency of the 400i is for impressive sound right out of an ipod or phone, would it be reasonable to assume that they would sound good from a BHC? I know that this is usually a bad match but I thought given the new efficiency of the 400i that it might be possible. 

Mar 9, 2014 at 6:16 PM Post #2,315 of 3,091
  Bottlehead Crack

Matt, I believe the issue with the BHC is not the power demand of the headphone, but the low impedance leading to sloppy sound. There has been a lot of debate about whether this should be an issue or not (scientifically speaking), but in my experiences it's a poor combination that won't be fixed with higher sensitivity.

Mar 9, 2014 at 7:04 PM Post #2,317 of 3,091
Serious question (not being a SAss) but don't Planar Magnetics not follow the impedance rule like dynamics?
Matt, I believe the issue with the BHC is not the power demand of the headphone, but the low impedance leading to sloppy sound. There has been a lot of debate about whether this should be an issue or not (scientifically speaking), but in my experiences it's a poor combination that won't be fixed with higher sensitivity.

Mar 9, 2014 at 8:13 PM Post #2,318 of 3,091
Serious question (not being a SAss) but don't Planar Magnetics not follow the impedance rule like dynamics?

Yes, that seems to be the debate. In terms of their impedance response over the frequency range, the planars are all dead flat so no issue with fluctuations in power delivery, but as I understand it (and from what I've heard when listening to the combo), something to do with the Crack's OTL design means that it doesn't have sufficient damping for the planars.

Interestingly, when I run the HE-500s on the Mainline set to high output impedance, they sound identical to the sound on low output impedance, but the Mainline uses output transformers which may interface differently with the drivers compared to the 6080 tube used in the Crack.

Mar 10, 2014 at 7:06 AM Post #2,319 of 3,091
I can't see how damping could be a problem with a planar.

Mar 10, 2014 at 10:15 AM Post #2,320 of 3,091
OTL amplifiers generally "prefer" high impedance headphones, so they can run out of power with hard to drive low impedance headphones. I've heard a WA2 clip with a HE-500 because of the mismatch.

Mar 10, 2014 at 1:06 PM Post #2,321 of 3,091
Well, I hope the new phones are as good or better than the now older HE-400 and HE-500. BUT, I hope they are different.

Different enough so that those of us who own either the 400 or 500 don't feel like we now have an obsolete set of cans. It's great when everyone wins!

Mar 10, 2014 at 7:04 PM Post #2,325 of 3,091
  HiFiMAN is still expecting to have HE-560 available in late March and HE-400i in mood to late April. We believe you will find them worth the wait. 

Peter

Thanks for the update Peter. I think that you mentioned the 560 will have a reworked cable. Does that go for the 400i as well?

thanks...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back