HiFIMAN HE-400 Question
Jan 19, 2013 at 12:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

rexob85

New Head-Fier
First, I apologize for being extremely new to the audiophile world.  I own a pair of Audiotechnica ATH-A900 and looking to get a nice open back set.  After reading many reviews and what I'm looking at in price, the HE-400 seems like the ideal candidate.  Having said that, will I need an external amp?  And if so, what is recommended?  Thanks in advance!

Jan 19, 2013 at 3:00 AM Post #4 of 19
Quote:
First, I apologize for being extremely new to the audiophile world.  I own a pair of Audiotechnica ATH-A900 and looking to get a nice open back set.  After reading many reviews and what I'm looking at in price, the HE-400 seems like the ideal candidate.  Having said that, will I need an external amp?  And if so, what is recommended?  Thanks in advance!

Hey there! Welcome to head-fi! 

You really won't need the extra power that an amplifier provides for the HE-400. If later one you want to upgrade and get a better sound, you certainly can.

Jan 19, 2013 at 8:01 AM Post #6 of 19
I just don't see the point on spending $400 on the HE-400 and not having an amp. Sure it would probably sound ok out of your phone or laptop but so would other cheaper headphones. I would recommend going for a really cheap entry level amp for the HE-400 for now, maybe the FiiO E17, just to make sure you're getting some of your money's worth on the headphones, and maybe upgrade the amp/dac in the future.

Jan 19, 2013 at 5:00 PM Post #7 of 19
I appreciate all of the replies, one thing I forgot to mention is I play from my PC using the Asus Xonar Essence STX card.  I think I found a decent amp I'll probably get to go along with the headphones - JDS Labs Objective2.

Jan 19, 2013 at 7:07 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:
I appreciate all of the replies, one thing I forgot to mention is I play from my PC using the Asus Xonar Essence STX card.  I think I found a decent amp I'll probably get to go along with the headphones - JDS Labs Objective2.

I think the STX as a built in amp that may be enough for the he400. That being said the he400 is an ortho and loves current. I would say even just the Schiit Magni would be great. its $99 and is an awesome little amp. 

Jan 19, 2013 at 7:37 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:
I just don't see the point on spending $400 on the HE-400 and not having an amp. Sure it would probably sound ok out of your phone or laptop but so would other cheaper headphones. I would recommend going for a really cheap entry level amp for the HE-400 for now, maybe the FiiO E17, just to make sure you're getting some of your money's worth on the headphones, and maybe upgrade the amp/dac in the future.

I completely agree.  Granted, I don't recommend that people spend money if it's not needed.  But, the HE-400s do love to be amplified.  It's about the current that gets supplied, too, and not just the loudness that an amp offers.

Jan 19, 2013 at 7:47 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:
I'm not opposed to spending the money, immersing myself into music is my splurge and get away.  Everything I read supported getting an amp.

Your STX has an amp that is more than capable at this point. Getting something like a Schiit magni or O2 amplifier won't really benefit you a whole lot at this point. If you find you really enjoy this hobby and the HE-400, maybe save up and get an amplifier that will REALLY benefit you. I think the benefits of a Schiit Magni or an O2 won't really be noticeable for you.

Jan 19, 2013 at 7:47 PM Post #13 of 19
The HE-400 definitely loves being amped ... I feel like I'm listening underwater when I plug into my computer, but that's AFTER being plugged into an amp. I imagine just going straight to them will be awesome, but definitely worthy of getting an amp, like the Schiit Magni.

Jan 19, 2013 at 7:52 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Your STX has an amp that is more than capable at this point. Getting something like a Schiit magni or O2 amplifier won't really benefit you a whole lot at this point. If you find you really enjoy this hobby and the HE-400, maybe save up and get an amplifier that will REALLY benefit you. I think the benefits of a Schiit Magni or an O2 won't really be noticeable for you.

Thanks for this, because if I don't have to...I won't, I initially did a lot of research into my sound card, but wasn't 100% sure of its capabilities.

Jan 19, 2013 at 8:06 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:
Thanks for this, because if I don't have to...I won't, I initially did a lot of research into my sound card, but wasn't 100% sure of its capabilities.

I have the ST (basically the same thing) and in the past people who have purchased an O2 or an Asgard have been very disappointed in their purchase. To them there was no difference between the STX and the Schiit Asgard or the O2, and they felt like they had just wasted money. If you'd like you can change the sound of the amp with a few OPAMPs. You can read about it in the thread below. 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/421890/the-xonar-essence-stx-q-a-tweaking-impressions-thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Back