Hifiman He-400 or He-500?
Jul 31, 2013 at 8:53 PM Post #196 of 510
I have my receiver at 1db. Damn these are power hungry.

Jul 31, 2013 at 8:57 PM Post #197 of 510
Yuna lullaby adventure club? That track pounds on he500.:beerchug:
Ooh haven't heard that till now. Sounds amazing. I was listening to the album with youth.

Jul 31, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #198 of 510
John legend - get lifted album. Amazing. Try it :D

Jul 31, 2013 at 11:38 PM Post #200 of 510
Keep in mind, the volume on the receiver usually goes from -80dB and up to "0".  Then, it goes past "0" into the +1dB, +2dB and up to +10dB, or slightly more - depending on what the Denon receiver.
Oh I know, thank you though haha

Aug 1, 2013 at 8:44 AM Post #201 of 510
Quote:
I think this is end game headphone for me.

It very well might be. I also have the HD800 and it is a truly amazing headphone, but when I really want to feel my music, I reach for the HE-500 every time. I have definitely found my endgame with the HE-500. Until the HE-600 comes around. Then it's game on.

IMO the Beyer DT880 / 990 pads do wonderful things for the HE-500's comfort and sound. Might want to give it a try. It's a simple and inexpensive mod.

Enjoy your HE-500!

Aug 1, 2013 at 10:06 AM Post #202 of 510
It very well might be. I also have the HD800 and it is a truly amazing headphone, but when I really want to feel my music, I reach for the HE-500 every time. I have definitely found my endgame with the HE-500. Until the HE-600 comes around. Then it's game on.

IMO the Beyer DT880 / 990 pads do wonderful things for the HE-500's comfort and sound. Might want to give it a try. It's a simple and inexpensive mod.

Enjoy your HE-500!

Your he500 is ready for Alaska and a snow storm. :p

Aug 1, 2013 at 11:43 AM Post #204 of 510
Quote:
Why not the HE-6:veryevil:.

I think people are hoping for an HE-600 variant that will offer the following:

• A sensitivity rating above 90dB, making the need for an amplifier that needs its own power plant less of an issue.  Also, more current amps could be able to drive a potential HE-600 without having to dig deeper to replace one's current amp.
  • Sound that leverages the HE-6 "signature"

Though, my thoughts were just that - results of mindless thinking.  But, when you read in the thread where others who have the HE-500s have moved over to speaker taps and have used the Emotiva amp to drive their headphones via a balanced cable, they've noted an improvement in sound as opposed to running SET on a random headphone amplifier.  This might be where the true HE-600 sits.  The HE-500 connected to speaker taps via a balanced cable (or a headphone jack hard-wired to the speaker outputs on the Emotiva amp) to give the headphones the juice they deserve.  Does this make the HE-500 the HE-600?  Hmm ... ??

Aug 1, 2013 at 11:48 AM Post #205 of 510
Quote:
Why not the HE-6:veryevil:.

I honestly haven't heard it but I feel it might have a bit too much treble energy for me. I've also heard people say that the mids aren't quite as sweet as the HE-500, and that is, IMO, one of the HE-500's defining attributes. The mids are just dripping wet and buttery smooth. Also I prefer the slightly bloomy bass with slow decay of the HE-500. Besides all that, not too fond of having to go get a 50W speaker amp to drive my headphones 
tongue_smile.gif

If I want to get the super clarity and micro detail, I have my HD800 
atsmile.gif

Aug 1, 2013 at 3:01 PM Post #206 of 510
Quote:

I think people are hoping for an HE-600 variant that will offer the following:

• A sensitivity rating above 90dB, making the need for an amplifier that needs its own power plant less of an issue.  Also, more current amps could be able to drive a potential HE-600 without having to dig deeper to replace one's current amp.
  • Sound that leverages the HE-6 "signature"

Though, my thoughts were just that - results of mindless thinking.  But, when you read in the thread where others who have the HE-500s have moved over to speaker taps and have used the Emotiva amp to drive their headphones via a balanced cable, they've noted an improvement in sound as opposed to running SET on a random headphone amplifier.  This might be where the true HE-600 sits.  The HE-500 connected to speaker taps via a balanced cable (or a headphone jack hard-wired to the speaker outputs on the Emotiva amp) to give the headphones the juice they deserve.  Does this make the HE-500 the HE-600?  Hmm ... ??

My only critique with the HE-6 was it's stupidly selective range of power devices... I don't care if it has enough oomph to drive the HE-6, I want an amp of my choice... Also, I found the treble to be a little disruptive when compared to the HE-500, hence my decision for sticking with the HE-500.

If Hifiman could create a HE-600 with a sensitivity rating similar to what you posted, I would certainly be interested in giving the HE-600 a shot. If the HE-600 was aimed towards the HE Audio Jade, I would purchase it in a heartbeat, but this might be difficult to do as the Jade is an Estat while, from my guess, the HE-600 will be another ortho.

But getting back on topic, I have you know that I've had my HE-500s for QUITE some time now. With the HE-500 in my possession, no other headphone fit the bill like the HE-500 did for me so I ended up selling everything. For some reason, the HE-500 with Jergpads is just so addicting. I've tried to switch to other headphones, but the HE-500 just compliments me so well. That is until I try Stax or the Orpheus...

Aug 1, 2013 at 3:19 PM Post #207 of 510
Your he500 is ready for Alaska and a snow storm. :p
I've read that the dt pads are for the worse when considering sound.

Aug 1, 2013 at 3:28 PM Post #208 of 510
Also, if something like the he600 comes out, how would that affect the value of my he500??

Aug 1, 2013 at 3:35 PM Post #210 of 510

Users who are viewing this thread

Back