HiFiMan HE-300 Coming Soon!
Sep 5, 2011 at 11:17 AM Post #481 of 926

Quote:

Graphs to the rescue!

HE-300
HD600

The "clarity" you're talking about might be the result of the boosted upper mid-range (1 to 4 kHz) combined with the big dip in the lower mid-range (about 300 to 900 Hz). The nasal sound might have a little to do with the 7-8kHz hole that kills some sibilance, and instrument harmonics with it. There's quite a lot of mid-range distortion too that could have some effect. The bass is really well extended for an open dynamic headphone.

Overall it's a really bizarre looking frequency response for an open can of this price.

EDIT: Apparently Tyll didn't like these headphones. He hasn't published the review yet, though.

Thank you for provising that FR graph. I guess that confirms what I have been hearing from the get-go. Surprised nobody else is hearing it. And that big drop around 8kHz obviously contributes to the nasal effect (or enhances it?) and stifles proper reproduction of leading edges of guitars and percussion and causes a bit of a dead lower treble. Still, I do still think that the HE-300 has it's merits and has a musical aspect that is very listenable. If those two problem areas could be tidied up, this phone could be amazing.

Yes, I'm sure Tyll found these rather odd sounding.

Sep 5, 2011 at 2:05 PM Post #482 of 926

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For those who may ask/wonder why I did not use an HD600, well I do not have one. However I have owned the HD600 on two separate occasions and IMO the HD580 sounded exactly as the HD600. Some may ask/wonder why I did not use the HD650, well I do not like the sound presentation of the HD650 since I consider it to have way too much bass. BTW, I have tried about 12-15 aftermarket cables on the HD580/600/650 and I still did not like the sound of the HD650.

What exactly do I like in the HE300 over the Sennheiser?

• Wider and deeper soundstage.
  • More extended highs w/o shrillness.
  • More balanced presentation w/o emphasizing a region of the frequency over another.
  • There is more air between the notes.
  • The decay is longer.
  • Easier to place the instruments.
  • There is a much higher level of clarity and detail.
  • Overall a much more musical and engaging presentation.
  • It is less fatiguing over extended listening sessions.

As you can see I much prefer the HE300 over the HD580. Thanks for taking the time to read this impressions.

Interesting. I don't fully agree with what I've marked in green, and somewhat agree with the rest. I still hear a peak area in the midrange that gives a bit of a nasal effect to voices and some instruments and pushes them through any potential fog (hence my agreeing with 4, 6 and 7), creating an illusion of clarity. I haven't seen a graph measurment yet but the HE-300 probably has a bit of a rise in the midrange area where the Sennheiser has a dip. The bass on the HE-300 is clearly superior, more solid with better extension.

Well, we all hear differently. Perhaps it would help if you and others were aware of:

1. I am an old phart at 53 years old.
2. I listen at low volumes, averaging 64 dB to 68 dB.
3. I listen mostly to Jazz (90%) with classical and new age making up the last 10%.
4. I prefer the sound of a tube amp, or at least a hybrid amp. Like everything there are exceptions like the Solo SRGII.

Currently listening to the HE300 using a Red Wine Audio Isabella LFPV- Edition and I am very happy. Cheers.

Sep 5, 2011 at 4:16 PM Post #483 of 926
I think I'm experiencing deja vu..

Sep 6, 2011 at 2:56 PM Post #485 of 926

Quote:

Deja vu is the experience of feeling sure that one has already witnessed or experienced a current situation, even though the exact circumstances of the previous encounter are uncertain and were perhaps imagined.
https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/D%C3%A9j%C3%A0_vu

Sep 6, 2011 at 5:27 PM Post #486 of 926
Was this response meant as a joke?
I'm fairly certain this isn't what mrarroyo was asking. He was asking what Beagle meant, not what deja vu meant.

Quote:
Deja vu is the experience of feeling sure that one has already witnessed or experienced a current situation, even though the exact circumstances of the previous encounter are uncertain and were perhaps imagined.
https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/D%C3%A9j%C3%A0_vu

Sep 6, 2011 at 9:22 PM Post #488 of 926
^ Only $20? Adding them to my cart right now...

Sep 9, 2011 at 9:03 AM Post #491 of 926
I hope the leather pads are slightly deeper than the velour pads.  My ears slightly touch the inner sharp edge of the mounting ring and it can be uncomfortable if I move my head.

On another note, these have the sweetest sound I have ever head from a pair of headphones.  Combined with a Little Dot I+, the bass is deep and powerful and the treble is airy with no hint of sibilance.  The mid range works with female vocals (Norah Jones, Sarah McLachlan) as well as assorted rock (Tool, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd).  It is amazing that a headphone in this price range can do so many things so well.

Sep 9, 2011 at 7:27 PM Post #492 of 926
I'm thinking about switching up my current main open headphones, and I'm thinking about HE-300's. Basically, I love my HD 650's comfort and they sound nice, but I recently bought Shure 940's and realized that my 650 doesn't have all that great detail across the entire range (940's bass is tighter, mids are more detailed, etc.) Also I think I prefer a more neutral/flat sound signature, however the 940's are still very slightly bright for my ideal tastes - but they're not bad and I really like them overall. (The main flaw that prevents them from being my 'mains' are comfort.)

From what I'm reading about the HE-300's, it sounds like they're slightly laid back but still have good treble, and tighter and more detailed bass and mids than HD 650's for example?

How comfortable are HE-300's compared to the HD600/650 design? My 650's are amazingly comfortable when extended ~75-90% height, but the SRH-940's suffer from that thumb-pressure-on-the-top-of-your-head syndrome, and the driver protection plates press up against my ears. And they're closed, which is great for their purpose (isolation - which is why I'm keeping them) but nothing beats open air feeling for comfort.

Any other weaknesses I should be aware of vs. my current headphones (mentioned)?

Sep 9, 2011 at 7:50 PM Post #494 of 926
I know it's rediculous, but the HE-300 transforms into another headphone with an aftermarket cable. Rediculous because the Q used on the HE-300 cost 90% of the HE-300. What is pretty strange is that the Q didn't alter the sound to the same extent on the HE-500. The HE-300 sound less "nasal" with the Q. On the other side, the mids and the bass gets sucked out a bit. I decided to return to the stock (Canare) cable. The Q is however a perfect match for the HE-500 / LCD-2. Go figure.

Sep 9, 2011 at 8:16 PM Post #495 of 926

Quote:
I know it's rediculous, but the HE-300 transforms into another headphone with an aftermarket cable. Rediculous because the Q used on the HE-300 cost 90% of the HE-300. What is pretty strange is that the Q didn't alter the sound to the same extent on the HE-500. The HE-300 sound less "nasal" with the Q. On the other side, the mids and the bass gets sucked out a bit. I decided to return to the stock (Canare) cable. The Q is however a perfect match for the HE-500 / LCD-2. Go figure.

Q-Audio cable? That's the one I got shipped....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back