Hifiman HE-1000 coming
Jan 4, 2015 at 11:23 PM Post #211 of 446

Sir, this is the champagne edition:

And this is the gold edition, too tacky IMO:

I recommend the champagne edition.

This was the last order for tonight...
biggrin.gif

I think you nailed it.  And yep, the gold is too tacky.  The chrome/off-white is nice, too 
beerchug.gif

Jan 4, 2015 at 11:24 PM Post #213 of 446

I think that the grill and the rim are punched out of the same piece, so they need to have the same color. If you make the steel band, the ear cups (veneer) and the headband black (a tiny bit lighter this time), it looks like this:

Still too much contrast for this design. All metal parts need to have the same color IMO. And for this big HP silver/chrome is a good choice.

The original color scheme has three main colors: silver, light brown and black. This makes it a little bit "restless", is the main color silver or is it light wood? It’s like jewelry in mixed silver and gold. For my white variant you immediately see that it’s a light white/silver HP, with black earpads. Hence you get a more coherent impression (the same goes for the all black variant, of course). But I guess the HifiMan designer does not agree... 
redface.gif
Maybe they think it’s important to have some wood on an audiophile HP (even if it’s only veneer)? However I’m sure it looks really great in reality!
smile.gif

But they really need to improve on quality for this one. My HE-560 earpads have started to rip already. My HE-6 also broke. I don’t understand how it could be profitable for HifiMan with all replacements they need to do. I guess the manufacturing cost must be really low.

lol! I like it!! I do think it would be better if the rims were black. I think it's doable since all their previous gen models have black rims, so they can prob use the black rims from the extra material that they use for the HE-560 & HE-400i.

Good analysis of why the original color scheme looks iffy. I totally agree with the idea it's a bit restless & clashing. I don't think wood really looks that great on headphones tho that's a personal opinion. 

Yea, the build quality of Hifiman products are a bit sketchy in general. My HE-560 earpads ripped as well, though Hifiman helped me out & sent me replacements. However, the replacement earpad dimensions were much shallower, so there seems to be quite a bit variation. I am actually still using the ripped earpads that I ended up supergluing back together, but it's coming undone again.

This was the last order for tonight...
biggrin.gif

Oh wow!!!! you got some talent right there. The champagne edition looks amazingly badass!!!!!! MUCH MUCH better than their current version. If they want to keep that light brown color scheme, I think your version looks a thousand times better. I personally wouldn't go for that sort of color scheme, but yours does look really niice!!!!

I hope Hifiman designers are looking at these!!!! These actually look really stunning & desirable!! :):):)

EDIT: My favorite ones so far are the white ones. Followed by a stealth black or black/silver one. The Champagne edition gets my third vote either though I wouldn't personally pick that color scheme, it does look really nice! If Hifiman released the HE1k in any of your improved color schemes, I would actually start saving money & spend a silly amount of cash on these. Current Hifiman official version I just not interested in b/c for something that pricey, it HAS to good baller!!

Jan 5, 2015 at 2:23 AM Post #215 of 446
Champagne looks quite nice on pics. I wonder whether brown earpads would be 'too much'?
White looks great too.

Jan 5, 2015 at 11:23 AM Post #216 of 446

This one gets my vote. But I want to know where the champagne gold edition is.

This was the last order for tonight... :D

Very nice. Champagne gets my vote. HiFiMAN ought to hire you!

Jan 6, 2015 at 10:56 AM Post #220 of 446
I could see Floyd Mayweather wearing these around his neck

He'll do anything if you pay him. He's all about money and fame.

I'm really looking forward to seeing impressions start to come in about these headphones. We could probably see a couple tonight once CES has closed for the day.

Jan 6, 2015 at 11:05 AM Post #221 of 446
Hmm.  Keeping my eye on these.

Jan 7, 2015 at 12:45 AM Post #222 of 446
Hey guys, I was lucky enough to be able to get to go to CES this year. The first thing I did this morning was head straight to HiFiMAN's booth to listen to the HE-1000 lol.

Anyways, here are my listening impressions. I have also posted this in the other HE-1000 thread.

Since I was lucky enough to literally be the first person to walk to into Hifiman's room, I was able to listen to the HE-1000 for quite a while (about 45 minutes) and in a relatively quiet environment. All listening with the HE-1000 was done with the new EF1000 amp, fed by the new HM901s seated in a dock.

I begin with that my highest end headphone that I own is the HE-400i. So I'll be mainly comparing the HE-1000 to the HE-400i and the HE-560 (which I also got to listen to in the same room). Also another disclaimer, Hifiman's staff said that the tuning in the sample they showed off here is almost what will show up in the production model, but they may do some tiny changes before actual production.

To immediately spoil what I thought of the headphone, the HE-1000 makes the HE-560 sound lacking. Yes, the HE-1000 is that much better than the HE-560. In fact, it was quite obvious when I did an AB comparison using the same setup in Hifiman's room. Compared to the HE-560, the HE-1000 literally feels like there was a layer of veil peeled off from the music. 

Highs on the HE-1000 are well extended, with no sibilance. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that the HE-1000 has highs that are at least as good as the HD800's (if memory serves me right), if not better.

But what about the bass? I'm happy to say that the HE-1000 has pretty much some of the best bass I heard. It's very hard hitting (but only if the recording dictates it), and even tighter and more well-controlled than the HE-560's and the HE-400i's bass. Of course, none of the bass bleeds into the mids. 

Mids are extremely good. Vocals are extremely realistic, to the point where the vocals from the HE-400i and the HE-560 sound fake compared to what you hear in the HE-1000. In a good recording, it literally feels like the singer is singing a couple of feet away from you - not extremely in your face, but not too far away, much like the HE-560 and a little bit further than in the HE-400i. Overall, I would say that the mids sound the same tonally as the HE-400i and the HE-560, but with a lot more detail and a lot more realism.

I wouldn't say that the HE-1000 is a boring headphone to listen to. The bass is present when it needs to be, and with good quality and quantity. And I wouldn't call the headphone laid back, especially not compared to something like the HD650 or the Sony MDR-Z7 (which I heard at the show, but again with a different setup). Overall, tonally it sounds like a HE-560 (and also kind of like a HE-400i), but a bit lusher (everything seems to have a bit more weight in the HE-1000 than its lower siblings) and still maintaining a greater amount of detail.

Soundstage size of the HE-1000 is about the same as the HE-560. So don't go expecting an HD800-like soundstage. However, the magic in the HE-1000's soundstage is in its presentation. Sounds in the HE-1000 don't feel like as if they're coming out of a headphone - instruments, vocals, and everything else in the music seem to really be projected holographically, much like a set of tower speakers and much like what I remember about the SR-009's soundstage. The HE-400i and the HE-560 simply cannot match this kind of holographic soundstage. Imaging is pinpoint accurate - even better than the already excellent imaging of the HE-400i and the HE-560. I won't say if the HE-1000's imaging is better than the HD800's, since it's been quite a while since I heard that headphone.

A few words about comfort level and efficiency. The HE-1000 is about as comfortable as the HE-400i and the HE-560, as the HE-1000 weighs about the same as its two lower siblings, and uses the same clamping system. The clamping force of the HE-1000 sample was less than the HE-400i and the HE-560 Hifiman brought along, although I don't know if that is the result of many people having possibly already tried the headphone. I would say that the HE-1000 is about as efficient as the HE-560. I felt like I cranked up the volume knob to about the same level as I would in the HE-560 to get a similar amount of loudness. On Hifiman's EF1000 amp, I cranked the volume knob to about 10-11 o'clock to get to a volume level that's comfortable for me. I feel that cranking up the EF1000's volume knob to about 2 o'clock would be plenty loud for most people. For the HE400i, I cranked up the volume knob to about 9 o'clock to get to a comfortable listening level for me.

Overall, I can confidently say that the HE-1000 is a noticeable step up from the HE-560. It can definitely compete with the Abyss, which I also heard at CES (although with a different setup).

Also, I don't know if this has been mentioned, but Hifiman plans to release this headphone in Q2 2015. Pricing has not been determined yet, and Mr. Fang Bian (very nice man) really wouldn't give me a good sense of what the pricing will be when I asked him.

Hopefully, these impressions aren't too incoherent. Let me know if you guys want any other impressions about the headphone, and I'll try to answer them the best I can.

EDIT: Added another disclaimer about the tuning of the HE-1000 sample I heard, and the little information I could get out of Hifiman about the release date and the pricing of the HE-1000.

Jan 7, 2015 at 3:00 AM Post #224 of 446
  any thoughts on build quality?

Build quality seemed fine to me. Not taking looks into consideration (since that's subjective), the sample I handled seemed well built, and I couldn't see any obvious blemishes or imperfections. The headband seemed to be made of some kind of comfy leather. Though Hifiman told me that I handled a prototype, it didn't look or feel to me like it was a very rough, unfinished pre-production sample.

Jan 7, 2015 at 4:39 AM Post #225 of 446
  Hey guys, I was lucky enough to be able to get to go to CES this year. The first thing I did this morning was head straight to HiFiMAN's booth to listen to the HE-1000 lol.

Anyways, here are my listening impressions. I have also posted this in the other HE-1000 thread.

Since I was lucky enough to literally be the first person to walk to into Hifiman's room, I was able to listen to the HE-1000 for quite a while (about 45 minutes) and in a relatively quiet environment. All listening with the HE-1000 was done with the new EF1000 amp, fed by the new HM901s seated in a dock.

I begin with that my highest end headphone that I own is the HE-400i. So I'll be mainly comparing the HE-1000 to the HE-400i and the HE-560 (which I also got to listen to in the same room). Also another disclaimer, Hifiman's staff said that the tuning in the sample they showed off here is almost what will show up in the production model, but they may do some tiny changes before actual production.

To immediately spoil what I thought of the headphone, the HE-1000 makes the HE-560 sound lacking. Yes, the HE-1000 is that much better than the HE-560. In fact, it was quite obvious when I did an AB comparison using the same setup in Hifiman's room. Compared to the HE-560, the HE-1000 literally feels like there was a layer of veil peeled off from the music. 

Highs on the HE-1000 are well extended, with no sibilance. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that the HE-1000 has highs that are at least as good as the HD800's (if memory serves me right), if not better.

But what about the bass? I'm happy to say that the HE-1000 has pretty much some of the best bass I heard. It's very hard hitting (but only if the recording dictates it), and even tighter and more well-controlled than the HE-560's and the HE-400i's bass. Of course, none of the bass bleeds into the mids. 

Mids are extremely good. Vocals are extremely realistic, to the point where the vocals from the HE-400i and the HE-560 sound fake compared to what you hear in the HE-1000. In a good recording, it literally feels like the singer is singing a couple of feet away from you - not extremely in your face, but not too far away, much like the HE-560 and a little bit further than in the HE-400i. Overall, I would say that the mids sound the same tonally as the HE-400i and the HE-560, but with a lot more detail and a lot more realism.

I wouldn't say that the HE-1000 is a boring headphone to listen to. The bass is present when it needs to be, and with good quality and quantity. And I wouldn't call the headphone laid back, especially not compared to something like the HD650 or the Sony MDR-Z7 (which I heard at the show, but again with a different setup). Overall, tonally it sounds like a HE-560 (and also kind of like a HE-400i), but a bit lusher (everything seems to have a bit more weight in the HE-1000 than its lower siblings) and still maintaining a greater amount of detail.

Soundstage size of the HE-1000 is about the same as the HE-560. So don't go expecting an HD800-like soundstage. However, the magic in the HE-1000's soundstage is in its presentation. Sounds in the HE-1000 don't feel like as if they're coming out of a headphone - instruments, vocals, and everything else in the music seem to really be projected holographically, much like a set of tower speakers and much like what I remember about the SR-009's soundstage. The HE-400i and the HE-560 simply cannot match this kind of holographic soundstage. Imaging is pinpoint accurate - even better than the already excellent imaging of the HE-400i and the HE-560. I won't say if the HE-1000's imaging is better than the HD800's, since it's been quite a while since I heard that headphone.

A few words about comfort level and efficiency. The HE-1000 is about as comfortable as the HE-400i and the HE-560, as the HE-1000 weighs about the same as its two lower siblings, and uses the same clamping system. The clamping force of the HE-1000 sample was less than the HE-400i and the HE-560 Hifiman brought along, although I don't know if that is the result of many people having possibly already tried the headphone. I would say that the HE-1000 is about as efficient as the HE-560. I felt like I cranked up the volume knob to about the same level as I would in the HE-560 to get a similar amount of loudness. On Hifiman's EF1000 amp, I cranked the volume knob to about 10-11 o'clock to get to a volume level that's comfortable for me. I feel that cranking up the EF1000's volume knob to about 2 o'clock would be plenty loud for most people. For the HE400i, I cranked up the volume knob to about 9 o'clock to get to a comfortable listening level for me.

Overall, I can confidently say that the HE-1000 is a noticeable step up from the HE-560. It can definitely compete with the Abyss, which I also heard at CES (although with a different setup).

Also, I don't know if this has been mentioned, but Hifiman plans to release this headphone in Q2 2015. Pricing has not been determined yet, and Mr. Fang Bian (very nice man) really wouldn't give me a good sense of what the pricing will be when I asked him.

Hopefully, these impressions aren't too incoherent. Let me know if you guys want any other impressions about the headphone, and I'll try to answer them the best I can.

EDIT: Added another disclaimer about the tuning of the HE-1000 sample I heard, and the little information I could get out of Hifiman about the release date and the pricing of the HE-1000.

THnaks for the great feedback, will be watching out for these

Users who are viewing this thread

Back