Hifiman Edition XS Launched
Jan 3, 2024 at 3:48 PM Post #2,671 of 2,778
Actually I was thinking of Fleetwood Mac, Rondstat, X and other harmony type performers.

I listen to a lot of female vocalists of all types, one way to class them is by vocal range. I also listen to the Who, Zep, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains too.

Agreed, but the earlier parts seemed like you were taking some of my words as criticism. My response was an effort to clarify and hopefully diffuse.

Carry on.
You mentioned X: You're quite all right by me, man. One of the most underrated bands of the 80s! Exene Cervenka and John Doe laid down some sweet harmonies, indeed.

Jan 3, 2024 at 4:39 PM Post #2,672 of 2,778
You mentioned X: You're quite all right by me, man. One of the most underrated bands of the 80s! Exene Cervenka and John Doe laid down some sweet harmonies, indeed.
Yeah X - criminally under appreciated. Sadly Exene has gone way off the deep end...

For voices and robust note weight - although in a different mode: - Dead Can Dance (early/mid), "Movement" by New Order or the more obscure This Mortal Coil might interest you as well.

Jan 12, 2024 at 12:05 PM Post #2,673 of 2,778
You've pinpointed the blind spot in the HiFiMan "house sound" -- slightly recessed mids. Sennheiser HD 660S2 might give you the superb mids you seek with bass. I think the bass is fine in the HD 650/HD 6XX, too, although some beg to differ with that opinion.

I sold my Edition XS because of the recessed mids, slightly peaky treble and overall light "note weight." Got the Audeze LCD-2C, which was a much better choice for rock music and for me. Slightly rolled-off treble and smaller soundstage than XS, but richer, more pinpoint overall bass and very forward, almost borderline aggressive mids and significant note weight that I really dig. Graduated from those to LCD-X 2021, which are a bit less aggressive in the mids and more detailed up top.

So, having not being able to find a good deal on the Meze 109 Pro I decided to buy the 660S2 for roughly the same price as the XS. I have to say my first impression is that I'm quite underwhelmed :-D:-D In comparison with the Hifiman XS I consider it unspectacular in every way there is absolutely no OMG feeling that I got with XS on some music due to its transparency, bass and stage. It sounds just ok which isn't necessarily a bad think mind you. The voices on 660S2 are maybe somewhat fuller than on the XS but I still would wish much more meat around them. The stage though is miniscule.

The 660S2 is super comfortable and incredibly lightweight so that's a huge plus, however I'd never pay their full price.

Not sure what to do now :-D Also I have to correct my initial post regarding XS's comfort: the headband gets uncomfortable fairly quickly and I'd strongly prefer the suspension type. Is there a Hifiman out there with somewhat fuller mids? I'm kinda reading that those Ariyas and Anandas are more bright than the XS.

Jan 12, 2024 at 4:20 PM Post #2,674 of 2,778
So, having not being able to find a good deal on the Meze 109 Pro I decided to buy the 660S2 for roughly the same price as the XS. I have to say my first impression is that I'm quite underwhelmed :-D:-D In comparison with the Hifiman XS I consider it unspectacular in every way there is absolutely no OMG feeling that I got with XS on some music due to its transparency, bass and stage. It sounds just ok which isn't necessarily a bad think mind you. The voices on 660S2 are maybe somewhat fuller than on the XS but I still would wish much more meat around them. The stage though is miniscule.

The 660S2 is super comfortable and incredibly lightweight so that's a huge plus, however I'd never pay their full price.

Not sure what to do now :-D Also I have to correct my initial post regarding XS's comfort: the headband gets uncomfortable fairly quickly and I'd strongly prefer the suspension type. Is there a Hifiman out there with somewhat fuller mids? I'm kinda reading that those Ariyas and Anandas are more bright than the XS.
Try the Ananda it's a little more midrange focused than the XS — I'd also recommend trying any of the dekoni pads, they darken the sound a bit and give a warmer presentation.

Jan 13, 2024 at 8:29 AM Post #2,676 of 2,778
Just got a pair of XS. Could not pass up the price drop. pc to soncoz la-qxd1 dac to emotiva basx a-100 AMP with the jumpers instaled to utilize the speaker amps power.

What upgrades should I look at? Did a cable search but got confused fairly quickly. Also, pads? Thanks. Love the soundstage and separation but the bass slam isn't really great.

Jan 13, 2024 at 7:49 PM Post #2,677 of 2,778
Just got a pair of XS. Could not pass up the price drop. pc to soncoz la-qxd1 dac to emotiva basx a-100 AMP with the jumpers instaled to utilize the speaker amps power.

What upgrades should I look at? Did a cable search but got confused fairly quickly. Also, pads? Thanks. Love the soundstage and separation but the bass slam isn't really great.
Would definitely recommend the Dekoni Elite Fenestrated Pads as well as the Dekoni Nuggets, both which significantly improve the comfort of the XS. Depending on where you place the Nuggets (if you use 2 for example, how far apart you place them), it changes how it rests on your head which also changes the sound signature as well as how much and what kind of bass you get. Dekoni makes a variety of pads for the egg shaped Hifiman series (all of which darken the sound a bit) however after trying most of them, I found the fenestrated to retain the most highs — you might want to try a few to see which one gets you the most slam. Depending on what kind of sound signature you are after, I would also recommend the New Fantasia Silver Plated OCC copper cable which adds a bit of sparkle to the sound and makes it sound sweeter IMHO:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07J2J3MCW/

Jan 13, 2024 at 8:32 PM Post #2,678 of 2,778
Thanks!!

Why is the Dekoni Elite Fenestrated Pads not listing a model for the XS?

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2024 at 8:35 AM Post #2,680 of 2,778
I've compared these extensively to the Arya Stealth over the past month, and I think I've come to the conclusion that the Edition XS sound better. Perhaps there is something wrong with me lol.

The Arya SE is smoother, particularly in treble ("s" sounds are less sharp) but I really struggle to name anything else that it does better.

Soundstage: XS > Arya SE
Dynamics: XS > Arya SE
Tuning: XS > Arya SE (def preference here)
Bass: XS > Arya SE (doesn't extend as deep but you can actually feel it)
Mids: XS > Arya SE (vocals sound more tangible, where they sound weirdly too close and above eye level on the Arya SE)
Treble: XS > Arya SE (just enough emphasis in the treble to provide a bit more dynamics....on Arya SE it sounds a bit boring while being bright, not sure how lol)
Comfort: Arya SE > XS (will give this to Arya SE, although I personally have zero problem with XS headband)

I realize many of these will be down to preference, but with the difference in price there is no reason why it should be so close.

Bottom line, with the XS I enjoy the music or game audio more. Find myself just lost in it more. With the Arya SE, I find myself thinking "wow this sounds really smooth and doesn't do anything wrong really, I'm just not enjoying it as much".

Also there is something weird with the Arya SE soundstage. Its like a triangle where the base is in front and the point is behind you, so audio to L/R sort of tapers inward to the back of your head. And as I mentioned, vocals sound like they are above my eyes which is a really weird experience. They're definitely taller, but not as wide as XS.

Again, XS at $379....just wow. This should be everyone's entry into planars at this point IMO. And you can probably be done, so long as the fit agrees with your head.

Jan 17, 2024 at 3:40 AM Post #2,682 of 2,778
I've compared these extensively to the Arya Stealth over the past month, and I think I've come to the conclusion that the Edition XS sound better. Perhaps there is something wrong with me lol.

The Arya SE is smoother, particularly in treble ("s" sounds are less sharp) but I really struggle to name anything else that it does better.

Soundstage: XS > Arya SE
Dynamics: XS > Arya SE
Tuning: XS > Arya SE (def preference here)
Bass: XS > Arya SE (doesn't extend as deep but you can actually feel it)
Mids: XS > Arya SE (vocals sound more tangible, where they sound weirdly too close and above eye level on the Arya SE)
Treble: XS > Arya SE (just enough emphasis in the treble to provide a bit more dynamics....on Arya SE it sounds a bit boring while being bright, not sure how lol)
Comfort: Arya SE > XS (will give this to Arya SE, although I personally have zero problem with XS headband)

I realize many of these will be down to preference, but with the difference in price there is no reason why it should be so close.

Bottom line, with the XS I enjoy the music or game audio more. Find myself just lost in it more. With the Arya SE, I find myself thinking "wow this sounds really smooth and doesn't do anything wrong really, I'm just not enjoying it as much".

Also there is something weird with the Arya SE soundstage. Its like a triangle where the base is in front and the point is behind you, so audio to L/R sort of tapers inward to the back of your head. And as I mentioned, vocals sound like they are above my eyes which is a really weird experience. They're definitely taller, but not as wide as XS.

Again, XS at $379....just wow. This should be everyone's entry into planars at this point IMO. And you can probably be done, so long as the fit agrees with your head.
They are likely going after MoonDrop Venus. Recent reviews of that compared to the XS likely made someone worry.

Jan 17, 2024 at 4:05 AM Post #2,683 of 2,778
Hi,

question to European XS users: what is the best source to buy these phones in the EU?
thanks.
Hi,
Direct from official hifiman store is often best for price in my experience. The price is in US dollars and you can only use PayPal. But usually best in price when you factor in conversion.

Their options for open box or refurbished can reduce price further and condition of always excellent in my experience.

Jan 17, 2024 at 4:15 AM Post #2,684 of 2,778
Hi,
Direct from official hifiman store is often best for price in my experience. The price is in US dollars and you can only use PayPal. But usually best in price when you factor in conversion.

Their options for open box or refurbished can reduce price further and condition of always excellent in my experience.
I ended up getting the XS for the sale price and got their upgrade wires for 90% off? Such deep discounts worries me but I’d figured I give them a try. I also didn’t buy the open box or refurbished because the warranty may be affected and it was only 50 bucks or so less.

I’ll see how the XS compares to my current MoonDrop Para with upgraded cable (350 usd).

Jan 17, 2024 at 4:28 AM Post #2,685 of 2,778
Hi,

Thanks. In the meantime I found out the official Hifiman webstore has warehouses in Europe too, so I may get the item without import duties, which is super cool.
Thanks again for the reply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back