Hifiman Edition XS Launched
Sep 16, 2023 at 4:19 PM Post #2,641 of 2,784
Good for everyone,

It has been a long trip, it took me a while to write this comment because time was passing, I currently sold my hifiman xs locally and with this the purchase of planars is over for me.
Do I recommend them? It depends on whether you don't mind the build quality, the very uncomfortable headband, the regular cable, the fragility of the drivers, and preferably using them with EQ.
It's a shame since I hung on for about 20 to 30 days trying to get them to work for me, since with my ef-400 + eq amp they really sounded "decent" to consider them an endgame, but the headband simply destroyed any effort.
I spoke to Hifiman Store, I asked them to sell me the HE1000 se v2 headband (or any of these versions), they asked me for several requirements, I pretended to be the owner of one of those versions, they asked me for proof (I falsified them and I complied) so that they ask me for $250 without shipping costs to the US....
I tried the Arya headband, I found a European distributor, but the cost was $175 without shipping costs.
Taking into account that the Hifiman XS It cost me $300 by applying coupons on Aliexpress and the shipping was $0, the benefit that the sound gave me was enough for me to try everything possible to hold on to them.
I made an effort and bought them:
- A nice $50 Tripowin 4 core cable
https://es.aliexpress.com/item/1005003717960469.html
- Some fake Sheepskin pads $30
https://es.aliexpress.com/item/1005004139474635.html
And I found a solution for the headband, it is a material that covers the headband and adds a cooling gel, which makes it cold and comfortable $16
https://es.aliexpress.com/item/1005005231118482.html

xs head.jpg

A few days later the hifiman headband sounded like it was going to break (typical of this type of construction) and it was not caused by the updates, I reconsidered, and decided to sell everything.

As fate would have it, I found the Focal Elex with 2 pads and an improved cable in the classifieds for $400, I bought them without expecting anything in return, and now they will accompany me until my budget can allow me to buy the Utopia.

That was my entire adventure, if anyone is interested in anything I left them the links to the improvements.

Sep 16, 2023 at 11:30 PM Post #2,642 of 2,784
Yeah, I have to say the slight swivel on the XS really helps with comfort vs the Sundara headband, so I bet I'd find the Ananda less comfy.

I buy all my cables from Hart Audio. This is what I'm using with the XS:

https://hartaudiocables.com/collect...m-cable-for-hifiman-focal-headphones-and-more
Yer I have seen a lot of love for the premium cable companies in the US but cost, shipping cost and delivery time just make it hard for me to justify living I Australia if I lived in the usa def would be buy from them.

Sep 22, 2023 at 9:45 AM Post #2,643 of 2,784
I see the Ananda Stealth is now $399. Very tempted, though I'm not sure if it's worth a look given I own the XS .

Who has had both?
I have the XS & tried the v3 Ananda Stealth expecting a brighter presentation and was very disappointed to find it was actually more muffled and substantially darker than my XS. At first I thought I got a dud but after discovering the tuning change that was made between v2 (brighter) & v3 (darker) I wish I could have tried the v2 instead. I ended up returning it and purchasing an open box Arya SE from headphone.com which strangely sounded very "dead" & "lifeless" to the point where I thought it wa defective and also sent it back — currently waiting on a replacement unit. Lesson learned, be wary of the open box sales, there's usually a reason they're customer returns. (people usually keep the "good" ones!)

Sep 22, 2023 at 10:04 AM Post #2,644 of 2,784
Any thoughts on the XS vs. Arya Organic? I bought my XS as I didn't want to re buy another pair of LCD-X. The original LCD-X have been my go to for a long time now.

Sometimes I feel I should have spent more and gone for something higher up in Hifiman, and other times I am ok with the XS.

One thing I have noticed with the XS is the component synergy. For me they sounded plasticky and tilted with the original cables, and any of the silver clad cables I have that I normally use. They actually ended up in the closet for a bit because of this. I did some changes and find they sound great with the Focal branded 1.2m copper cable. I could say they match or exceed my original LCD-X.

It seems the days are gone when a new piece of gear brings a revelation. But that said what is an interesting improvement in the Hifiman lineup over the XS?
I recently discovered an awesome cable/pads combo for my XS. When I first bought my XS I remember trying the cheap Youkamoo Silver plated cable from Amazon and it completely changing the sound in a bad way (wildly wider imaging and unmusically brighter tuning) so I returned it thinking silver cables are not the move for the XS. However, after installing Dekoni pads, I kept feeling like now their wasn't enough high end until I recently discovered the New Fantasia 6N OCC Copper Silver Plated cables which completely opened the top end back up (in a good way) and sound amazing!!! Not sure if it's the combo of the OCC copper with the silver but it adds just the right amount of sparkle and air without thinning out the sound and I've never heard my Edition XS sound this good. I should mention that I did try almost every dekoni model and found the elite fenestrated to sound the most natural (as well as make the XS 1000% more comfortable!)

61DXVlINU-L._AC_SL1500_.jpgScreen Shot 2023-09-22 at 7.19.28 AM.png

cables: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08DKJ9YQ7 (they appear to be sold out of the 3.5mm I purchased but there's still plenty of 4.4mm available)
pads: https://dekoniaudio.com/product/dek...epskin-replacement-ear-pads-for-hifiman-arya/

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2023 at 10:10 AM Post #2,645 of 2,784
I have the XS & tried the v3 Ananda Stealth expecting a brighter presentation and was very disappointed to find it was actually more muffled and substantially darker than my XS. At first I thought I got a dud but after discovering the tuning change that was made between v2 (brighter) & v3 (darker) I wish I could have tried the v2 instead. I ended up returning it and purchasing an open box Arya SE from headphone.com which strangely sounded very "dead" & "lifeless" to the point where I thought it wa defective and also sent it back — currently waiting on a replacement unit. Lesson learned, be wary of the open box sales, there's usually a reason they're customer returns. (people usually keep the "good" ones!)
I owned the Ananda v2, XS and Arya Stealth. XS has more upper treble than both. Arya Stealth sounds closed in in comparison. Ananda v2's upper mids bright but it doesn't have much air frequencies either. If you want something like XS then try out Arya Organic, HEK Stealth or HEKSE. HEKSE have lots of upper treble.

Oct 15, 2023 at 12:50 PM Post #2,646 of 2,784
After about 5 days with a new Ananda Stealth, I think I've decided that I like the XS better. I find them more comfortable (fits my head fine), the soundstage is a good amount wider to me, and the slight v shape makes them a bit more engaging. They also sound a bit more diffused and laid back which makes them, at the same time, an easier listen than the Ananda.

To be honest I expected to like the Ananda better, so it's a bit of a surprise. I think it's speaks to how amazing a value the XS are, as in reality despite their recent price drop due to Ananda Nano release, the ananda stealth are $700+ headphones. Still very impressed by the XS. I now own the Sundara, xs and ananda, and I'd say the XS are the go-to hifiman headphone right now.

Oct 25, 2023 at 8:47 AM Post #2,647 of 2,784
These are currently on sale brand new on Hifiman website for $379. Insane for that price.

Says its part of the Black Friday sale so not sure if this is a permanent drop.

Oct 25, 2023 at 11:56 AM Post #2,648 of 2,784
Perhaps not permanent, but this price has been in their online shop for weeks if not months.

Nov 19, 2023 at 7:06 AM Post #2,650 of 2,784
Hi, I'm looking for a headphone that has the vocal brilliance of the Sennheiser HD650, and the stereo image, air and bass quality of a Grado SR225x.

Should I try Edition XS, or is there a better contender at this price range? Thanks.

Nov 19, 2023 at 9:15 AM Post #2,651 of 2,784
Hi, I'm looking for a headphone that has the vocal brilliance of the Sennheiser HD650, and the stereo image, air and bass quality of a Grado SR225x.

Should I try Edition XS, or is there a better contender at this price range? Thanks.
Nothing will have the vocal brilliance of the hd650, outside of others in the Sennheiser HD6 series. It's really unmatched in mids and vocals.

XS definitely has way wider soundstage, more airy quality, and better bass. Vocals are a bit recessed if anything as the overall frequency response is a light v shape.

Not sure if that helps your decision, but at $379 they are definitely worth a try IMO.

Nov 19, 2023 at 9:32 AM Post #2,652 of 2,784
Nothing will have the vocal brilliance of the hd650, outside of others in the Sennheiser HD6 series. It's really unmatched in mids and vocals.

XS definitely has way wider soundstage, more airy quality, and better bass. Vocals are a bit recessed if anything as the overall frequency response is a light v shape.

Not sure if that helps your decision, but at $379 they are definitely worth a try IMO.
Thanks!

For $379+tax it's a little bit expensive for a "try", but I really couldn't find any alternative... So I probably will go for it.

Nov 20, 2023 at 6:02 AM Post #2,655 of 2,784
Purchase it on Amazon, they give you 30 days to return it
I'd actually recommend buying direct from HiFiman for a few reasons.

1) They don't charge sales tax
2) I've ordered a brand new Sundara in the past on Amazon and got an open-box, what looked like a used return. Every time I've ordered from HiFiman direct its sealed and brand new
3) HiFiman customer service is awesome. If you don't like em, they will take care of you and let you RMA.

I stopped buying pricey headphones on Amazon, I just try to go direct to the company now. That goes for Sennheiser and others as well. I've heard way too many stories of receiving opened and used headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back