Hifiman Edition XS Launched
Jan 27, 2024 at 11:48 AM Post #2,701 of 2,787
Technically cables should not alter sound, unless they are really faulty!
However, with my EDXS, I felt the same from day one, and I said so on my review of it.
Either the EDXS are very sensitive to cables or the bundled cables are rubbish.
My review in 2021.
I use generic speaker cables, power cords, balanced interconnects, and signed off of cable differences since the mid/late 90's. Then I got a HE-500 with the original silver plated stock cables. I bought another HFM can (HE-5LE with an after market cable (Black Dragon) and tried it on the 500 - yeow. Then tried a cheapish OFC cable and it was like the Black Dragon, then a Custom cans cable on my HE-6 SE vs the stock "medical tubing" cable and yeow again (this time I double blinded, and got it 5 out of 5 in about 3 seconds each time).

It's ridiculous but, there you go.

Jan 27, 2024 at 3:43 PM Post #2,702 of 2,787
How is the XS compared to other HiFiman cans? I ask because this is my first HiFiman and I’m pretty happy with them. From what I’ve been reading on this forum the only gripe people had is the cheap plastic feel (which is a plus for me because it’s so light on my head). In terms of sound quality, it’s not much different from the HEK and others except a bit less separation and clarity on trebles.

Any charts comparing all the HiFiman cans?
They're really close to the Arya stealth. The difference is small, and the XS actually does some things better like soundstage.

If you're happy with XS just stay put. If you want to look for more, just be prepared to spend a lot more for very small gains.

Jan 27, 2024 at 3:49 PM Post #2,703 of 2,787
They're really close to the Arya stealth. The difference is small, and the XS actually does some things better like soundstage.

If you're happy with XS just stay put. If you want to look for more, just be prepared to spend a lot more for very small gains.
Awesome. I’d figured as much as they both have the stealth magnet design.

The XS needs a good system to drive it though. Huge difference when my Jot 2 drives vs my portable BRT7.

Jan 28, 2024 at 4:27 AM Post #2,704 of 2,787
Hi all

Wrote a review of the Edition XS here:

https://www.headphoneer.com/hifiman-edition-xs-review/

1000011496.png

Hope some will find it useful :)

Jan 28, 2024 at 6:40 AM Post #2,706 of 2,787
Jan 28, 2024 at 7:07 PM Post #2,707 of 2,787
Hey guys, I just found this article with some really helpful graphs showing the changes in frequency response between different aftermarket pads on an Arya. While of course the frequency response of the XS is slightly different than the Arya, the way that each of the pads EQ's the sound is the same, and IMHO is a good place to start (short of headphone amps) if you want to experiment with dialing the sound of the XS without having to use EQ:

https://unheardlab.com/2022/05/21/hifiman-arya-stealth-edition-measurement-review-pad-rolling/

note the differences in the upper half of the spectrum, especially between 4-15k:

Screen Shot 2024-01-28 at 4.04.12 PM.png

Jan 29, 2024 at 3:18 AM Post #2,708 of 2,787
Haven't tried both but the Open X is well understood to be tonally difficult, and lacking technical performance at its price point. The Closed X is a nice experience but lacks dynamics due to the dampening and materials involved.

Edition XS is the clear choice really, and you would be comparing that against EQ'ing the Ananda Nano and the Moondrop Venus.

Here's an excellent review from a Head-Fi native.
Thank you for replying! After trying the HD600 for a couple of months I figured that they were not for me and wanted some more bass at the end of the day for some fun and laid-back listening. I didn't enjoy the boring and neutral sound of the HD600, though they did vocals well. I also suffer from sibilance; would you say that the Edition XS has strong bass for openbacks? and do they sound sibilant to you? (if it helps, I own a pair of Focal Radiance and really enjoy its sound, now I am just looking for an open-back alternative that sounds similar, preferably headphone with a planar)

Jan 29, 2024 at 4:12 AM Post #2,709 of 2,787
Thank you for replying! After trying the HD600 for a couple of months I figured that they were not for me and wanted some more bass at the end of the day for some fun and laid-back listening. I didn't enjoy the boring and neutral sound of the HD600, though they did vocals well. I also suffer from sibilance; would you say that the Edition XS has strong bass for openbacks? and do they sound sibilant to you? (if it helps, I own a pair of Focal Radiance and really enjoy its sound, now I am just looking for an open-back alternative that sounds similar, preferably headphone with a planar)
The XS is much more rounded for me so there is barely any sibilance. I also EQed it with my WiiM streamer to R&B setting for stronger bass. The bass is good and details on mid is amazing with a good amp even without the EQ. This is with the Bifrost/Jot 2 setup.

The can is so light you can keep it on your head for hours without tiring.

As I read reviews online on the XS compared to the Arya and HE1000, most people praise the latter 2 cans but most end up buying and keeping the XS for long term use.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2024 at 4:40 AM Post #2,710 of 2,787
I would say the bass is maybe 1-2 dB above flat, and that on good quality sources the 12kHz bump doesn't come through too much, but you can EQ it down if you're struggling. I've never found it as bright in the mid and upper treble as the updated Sundara, but the deeper and stronger bass presentation would be a factor.

Bass is excellent for an open back, and you're only going to get better out of the Ananda Nano - which absolutely needs treble EQ - without huge compromises, unless you're happy spending more than $800 USD pre-tax (most options being far above that price point).

Jan 29, 2024 at 5:00 AM Post #2,711 of 2,787
The XS is much more rounded for me so there is barely any sibilance. I also EQed it with my WiiM streamer to R&B setting for stronger bass. The bass is good and details on mid is amazing with a good amp even without the EQ. This is with the Bifrost/Jot 2 setup.

The can is so light you can keep it on your head for hours without tiring.

As I read reviews online on the XS compared to the Arya and HE1000, most people praise the latter 2 cans but most end up buying and keeping the XS for long term use.
I would say the bass is maybe 1-2 dB above flat, and that on good quality sources the 12kHz bump doesn't come through too much, but you can EQ it down if you're struggling. I've never found it as bright in the mid and upper treble as the updated Sundara, but the deeper and stronger bass presentation would be a factor.

Bass is excellent for an open back, and you're only going to get better out of the Ananda Nano - which absolutely needs treble EQ - without huge compromises, unless you're happy spending more than $800 USD pre-tax (most options being far above that price point).
Thank you guys both! Your replies have really helped me in deciding whether I should get the Edition XS or not. I think I will definitely buy them once I sell off my HD600.

Jan 29, 2024 at 5:25 AM Post #2,712 of 2,787
Hey guys, I just found this article with some really helpful graphs showing the changes in frequency response between different aftermarket pads on an Arya. While of course the frequency response of the XS is slightly different than the Arya, the way that each of the pads EQ's the sound is the same, and IMHO is a good place to start (short of headphone amps) if you want to experiment with dialing the sound of the XS without having to use EQ:

https://unheardlab.com/2022/05/21/hifiman-arya-stealth-edition-measurement-review-pad-rolling/

note the differences in the upper half of the spectrum, especially between 4-15k:

Screen Shot 2024-01-28 at 4.04.12 PM.png

Very interesting. The elevation from 1 to 2.5 kHz will bring the midrange a lot more forward combined with the slightly reduced treble amount.

Jan 29, 2024 at 4:31 PM Post #2,713 of 2,787
Hi folks, now that the Fiio FT5 on the radar, what do you think, at the same price bracket, could it be the new king of this under 500$ open planar category or the XS dominate still? I know different sound characteristics, but maybe the Fiio with the suede pads comperable enough.

Jan 29, 2024 at 9:49 PM Post #2,714 of 2,787
Interesting posts on technical aspects of the XS. I have some I found on DIY-AUDIO-HEAVEN which is pretty quiet these days, but they did a review in 2023 on the XS. There are several points to ponder.

Distortion is high centered at 4.25k - it's audible

xs d.png

The other issue is worse, the CSD plot (usually shows 5 or 6 ms) is out to 15 ms (see right edge for scale). Anything past 5-6 ms is audible. It's due to the large membrane not being damped well enough. It's very audible at 4.5-5k and 12k.

I had a pair of HEX v2 and I always thought they were a little more nuanced and silky, now I know why.

Got PEQ? Try:

4.3k -3db Q 8.0
4.75k -3db Q 6.5
12k -2db Q 8.0

to slightly mute those issues. That's on top of say the crinicle (or whatever u use) settings. FR is not the only domain to examine problems in, but you can use it to mitigate issues. This CSD plot is almost as bad as the OG HE-560. I thought the later HFM's since 2014 were clearing these issues up. The HE-6 SE is stellar in that regard and the the HEK v2 and later don't seem to have as much of an issue.

Still a good headphone, just needs a little help - as most HFM's do.

Attachments

• xs r.png
    xs r.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Feb 1, 2024 at 7:14 PM Post #2,715 of 2,787
So I ended up hastily selling the XS when I got the Arya SE late last year, but I realized I prefer the XS so sold the Arya and bought the XS again direct from Hifiman store.

Brand new pair, but I've never seen this RoHS logo on the left headband plastic piece before. Has anyone else seen this?

Also the left earcup grill looks like it has some defects in the silver paint job. Its not smooth and bumpy in spots, and there are two spots where its actually chipped and you can see the black metal underneath. There is also a scratch on the left earcup plastic right out of the box. And to top it all off, this pair squeeks and cracks when you swivel the cups, which my previous pair did not do.

After have a 4th Sundara fail on me a few days ago, I can't help but just sigh at this point. Every single pair I've had of Hifiman headphones has its own oddities in build/defects etc. Even the Ananda SE I tried had a squeeky right ear cup.

Like come on Hifiman.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back