Hifiman Edition XS Launched
Aug 7, 2023 at 10:16 AM Post #2,626 of 2,784
I sold my EDXS, because it needed a new home.
The only reason was that I needed a closed back headphone! you know, my wife, the train, the plane . . . .
So I moved on to an Audeze LCD-XC (costs $1300), which was the best sounding closed back I could find, that didn't cost ridiculous amounts of money . Sure it needed a Mod. and some EQing, but ultimately I got it to where I wanted it to be.
As for open backs, and sound quality, it is true that the EDXS is not the ultimate one, but for the price, I haven't heard better. It has issues! sure, what doesn't? but it is comparable to few $1000s headphones, costing about $500.

BTW, I use a Chord Hugo2 to power my headphones.
Yes, the closed back Audeze are tuned quite well, good move.

For me, the HD-600 is the lowest price can that says why spend more? The XS (lowest priced planar), Ananda Stealth, HE-6 SE, and HEK Stealth invite the same questions at their price points.

If I won Mega Millions I'd be doing chartered planes, security guards, and some $300k MBL speakers... it's all relative. And of course a kick butt philanthropist.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2023 at 10:32 AM Post #2,627 of 2,784
Personally I don't see myself moving past these headphones. Been to a few headphone meets and some of the really fancy electrostats or 800s are cool, but big planar driver is what hits the spot for me.

Aug 19, 2023 at 4:55 PM Post #2,628 of 2,784
Does anyone here prefer the XS to the HE1000 Stealth? I know they're at totally different price points and the HE1000 will be more detailed, but I'd be curious if there's anything about the XS that might make some people enjoy it more than the HE1000

Aug 21, 2023 at 10:51 AM Post #2,629 of 2,784
Does anyone here prefer the XS to the HE1000 Stealth? I know they're at totally different price points and the HE1000 will be more detailed, but I'd be curious if there's anything about the XS that might make some people enjoy it more than the HE1000
Haven't heard the Stealth, but i own the He1000v2 and had the XS. The v2 is a bit nicer than the XS but not a crazy amount better. I'd say the v2 is maybe like 15% better?

Aug 21, 2023 at 11:28 AM Post #2,630 of 2,784
I enjoyed it more than Ananda but i don't think XS can compete with something like Arya Stealth in terms of speed and detail. For what it's worth, i think XS have wider stage than Arya Stealth. Along with it's light clamp force, XS offer a pleasant soundstage. Arya is more focused headphone with a better immersion and reality to the sound.

I will share my thoughts about HEK Stealth when i receive them. Hopefully this week. If you can afford it, i think you should go for the HEK. More complete headphone with a great build and $1399 price tag seems to be best deal in hifi right now. If you can't afford it or don't wanna spend that much on a headphone, i think XS is great but know that higher end Hifiman's aren't audiophile placebo. They are rightfully more expensive.

Aug 25, 2023 at 5:17 PM Post #2,631 of 2,784
Any thoughts on the XS vs. Arya Organic? I bought my XS as I didn't want to re buy another pair of LCD-X. The original LCD-X have been my go to for a long time now.

Sometimes I feel I should have spent more and gone for something higher up in Hifiman, and other times I am ok with the XS.

One thing I have noticed with the XS is the component synergy. For me they sounded plasticky and tilted with the original cables, and any of the silver clad cables I have that I normally use. They actually ended up in the closet for a bit because of this. I did some changes and find they sound great with the Focal branded 1.2m copper cable. I could say they match or exceed my original LCD-X.

It seems the days are gone when a new piece of gear brings a revelation. But that said what is an interesting improvement in the Hifiman lineup over the XS?

Sep 2, 2023 at 2:45 PM Post #2,632 of 2,784
I will share my thoughts about HEK Stealth when i receive them. Hopefully this week.
did you receive them already? Looking for Feedback 😀

Sep 3, 2023 at 2:13 PM Post #2,634 of 2,784
did you receive them already? Looking for Feedback 😀
I had the for 3 hours (already broken in) and I thought they laid waste to the: HE-6 SE; 500; Ayra (all); HEX v2; and out did the HEK v2 and the bass is better than the HEK SE and the rest is arguable but not at the price delta

Sep 4, 2023 at 10:03 AM Post #2,635 of 2,784
I had the for 3 hours (already broken in) and I thought they laid waste to the: HE-6 SE; 500; Ayra (all); HEX v2; and out did the HEK v2 and the bass is better than the HEK SE and the rest is arguable but not at the price delta
I'm surprised how different Arya Stealth and HEKSE sounds. What do you think HEK Stealth sound closer to ?

Arya sounds like it's in an anechoic chamber. It's dry raw sound. Intimate, narrow and sharp. HEKSE sounds way richer and vast. Everything is expanded. I'm impressed.

Sep 4, 2023 at 1:47 PM Post #2,636 of 2,784
I'm surprised how different Arya Stealth and HEKSE sounds. What do you think HEK Stealth sound closer to ?

Arya sounds like it's in an anechoic chamber. It's dry raw sound. Intimate, narrow and sharp. HEKSE sounds way richer and vast. Everything is expanded. I'm impressed.

Bass impact/timbre: Stealth > Arya > SE > v2

Stage size: v2 > SE > Stealth > Arya SE - IMO Stealth is closest to correct

Real detail: SE > v2 > Stealth > Arya SE

Annoying treble:Arya SE > Stealth > SE > v2

overall w very good equipment & PEQ: SE > Stealth > v2 >> Arya SE

Value: Stealth > v2 > SE > Arya

If I ever buy another HFM I’d be very surprised if it’s not a HEK Stealth

I did not hear all 4 under the same conditions FYI

Sep 12, 2023 at 9:45 AM Post #2,637 of 2,784
I see the Ananda Stealth is now $399. Very tempted, though I'm not sure if it's worth a look given I own the XS .

Who has had both?

Sep 15, 2023 at 10:46 PM Post #2,639 of 2,784
Checked out the Ananda the other day and the fact they had no swivel made the head fit terrible on my head not sure if it was just the bad seal but they sounded worse as well to me.

On a side note not sure if this is the right place to ask but was looking for a new headphone cable for the XS because i want something 0.5m longer half the Amazon stores dont seem to mention the XS in the compatibility which makes me question if I am buying the right thing.

https://www.amazon.com/Youkamoo-Hea...8-2-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&th=1

Any Idea if something like this will work anything i need to worry or be careful off?

Sep 16, 2023 at 3:47 PM Post #2,640 of 2,784
Checked out the Ananda the other day and the fact they had no swivel made the head fit terrible on my head not sure if it was just the bad seal but they sounded worse as well to me.

On a side note not sure if this is the right place to ask but was looking for a new headphone cable for the XS because i want something 0.5m longer half the Amazon stores dont seem to mention the XS in the compatibility which makes me question if I am buying the right thing.

https://www.amazon.com/Youkamoo-Headphone-Replacement-Compatible-Headphones/dp/B0B1T7KPQ3/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?crid=3KFO0MN9TKQS4&keywords=hifiman+cable&qid=1694831144&sprefix=openheart+hifiman+cable,aps,545&sr=8-2-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&th=1

Any Idea if something like this will work anything i need to worry or be careful off?
Yeah, I have to say the slight swivel on the XS really helps with comfort vs the Sundara headband, so I bet I'd find the Ananda less comfy.

I buy all my cables from Hart Audio. This is what I'm using with the XS:

https://hartaudiocables.com/collect...m-cable-for-hifiman-focal-headphones-and-more

Users who are viewing this thread

Back