Hifiman Edition XS Launched
Jul 17, 2023 at 3:13 AM Post #2,596 of 2,784
I also owned the Mojo 2 and it is definitely a good DAC but compared to the EF400 (I know it's nor fair) It was a bit lacking in Dynamics (especially with High Gain on EF400) and the soundstage is also less wide. The resolution/detail is equal on both but on first listen Mojo 2 sounds more detailed because of the slightly laid-back and smooth sound signature of the EF400. When comparing it to other portable DACs however, Mojo 2 is easily top 3 in my list.
I'd like to try it out sometime.

Jul 17, 2023 at 11:59 AM Post #2,597 of 2,784
These are so good its making me reconsider everything I currently have. I don't think I've come across a headphone that makes the HD6xx a difficult listen when switching back to it, until I got the XS.

These are also so close to my HD800s that its laughable. Its got me wondering what more the Arya brings...

Jul 17, 2023 at 8:55 PM Post #2,599 of 2,784
These are so good its making me reconsider everything I currently have. I don't think I've come across a headphone that makes the HD6xx a difficult listen when switching back to it, until I got the XS.

These are also so close to my HD800s that its laughable. Its got me wondering what more the Arya brings...
Arya brings a lot of speed and tightness.
Anyone have a dark / warm EQ they'd like to share for these? The XS are the most comfortable headphones I own, but some days my ears just aren't in the mood for being stabbed.
You can do something like this:
3000 -4db q1
9000 -3db q1
2000 +2db q1

and a bass shelf
60 +3db q0,6

Jul 18, 2023 at 10:00 AM Post #2,600 of 2,784
Hi everyone! I would like to ask about something related.
How would you rate the Edition XS in bass quality, suitability for heavy metal music, performance among Hifiman headphones (maybe Audeze too), and value among Hifiman and maybe Audeze headphones.
If you have no idea, you can sort it like this x > Edition XS > y > z

Jul 18, 2023 at 3:48 PM Post #2,601 of 2,784
Hi everyone! I would like to ask about something related.
How would you rate the Edition XS in bass quality, suitability for heavy metal music, performance among Hifiman headphones (maybe Audeze too), and value among Hifiman and maybe Audeze headphones.
If you have no idea, you can sort it like this x > Edition XS > y > z
I've owned the Edition XS ($500) and HE-400se ($120) from HiFiMan, and the LCD-X 2021 ($1,200) and LCD-2C ($800) from Audeze. My preferences:

Bass: LCD-X>LCD-2C>Edition XS>HE-400se
Metal: LCD-2C>LCD-X>Edition XS>HE-400se
Performance: LCD-X>Edition XS>LCD-2C>HE-400se
Value: HE-400se>Edition XS>LCD-2C>LCD-X

The LCD-2C are fantastic headphones for all rock, including metal. Great bass, but the treble is a bit blunted, and they have less detail than the LCD-X.

The Edition XS are fantastic for the money, but the HE-400se are an even better value at $110. They're probably 70 percent of the way to the Edition XS, at less than a quarter of the cost. But the Edition XS definitely are better.

Still, if given a choice between HiFiMan and Audeze planars, I'm taking Audeze every time. HiFiMan has a thinner "house sound" than Audeze, with more emphasis on upper mids. The Audezes I've owned have better bass and far more impactful "note weight" than the HiFiMans I've owned. Audeze also has far better build quality.

But there are two negatives to consider for Audeze cans. One, they're heavy. REALLY heavy, ranging from 500 to 625 grams. If you have a sensitive or weak neck, you won't like them. Two, Audezes need EQ to really shine. I enjoyed the stock tuning of the Edition XS and HE-400se more than the stock tuning of the LCD-X and LCD-2C.

My daily driver is the LCD-X 2021. I've never been so content with a headphone. Bought them used for $890, and they're worth every penny. Just at a different level than the LCD-2C, Edition XS and HE-400se in terms of detail, separation, imaging, everything. They're heavy, yet I still find them quite comfortable. They just sing with the LCD-X 2021 EQ preset on Roon.

Good luck!

Jul 18, 2023 at 3:54 PM Post #2,602 of 2,784
Just received the EF600 and using the XS with it. Surprising how different the A90D and the EF600 sound. Going to test them both with the Ef's DAC to listen more what the difference is after my vacation is over.
20230718_203832.jpg

Jul 20, 2023 at 10:29 AM Post #2,604 of 2,784
I noticed that going from my hd650 and dt 1990 the xs seems to me to have a much more central sound, why?
Not sure exactly what you mean, but I just switched between my 6xx and XS a bit and I think you may be talking about how the center image is more prominent and in front of your face, where the 6xx has a compressed center image and very left/right imaging.

Otherwise, the XS sounds way larger, more open and much wider than the 6xx to me.

Jul 21, 2023 at 11:07 PM Post #2,605 of 2,784
Today I learned the headband pivot points are basically screws. One of them was halfway unscrewed before I noticed it.

Jul 26, 2023 at 6:00 AM Post #2,607 of 2,784
I have a hifiman xs, should I swap for a focal clear mg pro + 480 euros difference?
I listen to metal and rock, which one sounds better for my music?
Generally, you want the original Clear, not the Mg. €480 is what you'd pay in Australia for a B-stock Clear, albeit with a sales tax rate of 10%.

I'd steer clear of that deal, as the Clear isn't that amazing of an upgrade, so wait for a better price at least (and demo it first if you haven't).

Jul 26, 2023 at 8:36 AM Post #2,610 of 2,784
I have a hifiman xs, should I swap for a focal clear mg pro + 480 euros difference?
I listen to metal and rock, which one sounds better for my music?
DEFINITELY NO!
EDXS is way better.
I had both at the same time.
The cable from Focal is very good though! and does fit the EDXS.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back