Hifiman Edition XS Launched
Jun 26, 2023 at 9:54 AM Post #2,566 of 2,788
Been daily driving mine every day since my first post here. Running oratory1990's eq still, although it isn't 100% mandatory imo. Other than the headband still being kinda creaky at the rotation points, this headphone has been great.

Jun 27, 2023 at 6:36 PM Post #2,567 of 2,788
Been daily driving mine every day since my first post here. Running oratory1990's eq still, although it isn't 100% mandatory imo. Other than the headband still being kinda creaky at the rotation points, this headphone has been great.
I applied a little silicone spray into the rotation points and haven't had any creaking since. It's been months.

Jul 1, 2023 at 6:05 PM Post #2,568 of 2,788
Hello.Here, I made a cable. First was bought Chinese cable is cheap Three meters 4 core.I didn’t like its resistance (the device doesn’t show exactly and the wires of the device give 1 Ohm, but it showed 1.5 Ohm). In general, the hearing is not very better than the stock cable I decided to first shorten it by half in order to reduce the resistance, but I decided to completely redo it - to make the resistance four times less due to half the length plus fold it in half.))Spent almost a day. Unsoldered the plugs. Dismantled the clutch Y. He untwisted the whole, cut each vein in half. Soldered XLR. I wove for a long time (for the first time, for 8 wires and 4 for each earpiece).Soldered minijack (barely placed 4 wires and somehow to insulate + and -). But the work was worth it! The sound not only became louder and more powerful (than it was 3 meters), but the stage became wider and even more detailed and the sound even clearer...! )) The ohmmeter shows 1 ohm, because can't do less.
20230511_171109.jpg
A short cable (1, 2, 3, 4 meters) should not measure 1,5 Ohm. And the "lowest" measure of 1,0 Ohm instead of 0,0 Ohm just shows that your tester is out of whack.

Jul 7, 2023 at 1:26 PM Post #2,569 of 2,788
So for someone who has a small-ish head (me), are the Edition XS a no-go?

For reference, I didn't think the Sundara were tight at all. If anything a bit loose, and I only had to use 2 notches on both sides. Sennheiser 6 series don't bother me as much as they do others in terms of clamp either.

Based on this I'm assuming the XS would just slide right off my head, but maybe I'm wrong lol.

Jul 7, 2023 at 1:38 PM Post #2,570 of 2,788
So for someone who has a small-ish head (me), are the Edition XS a no-go?

For reference, I didn't think the Sundara were tight at all. If anything a bit loose, and I only had to use 2 notches on both sides. Sennheiser 6 series don't bother me as much as they do others in terms of clamp either.

Based on this I'm assuming the XS would just slide right off my head, but maybe I'm wrong lol.
Sundara was extremely tight on my head. XS was barely ok.

Jul 10, 2023 at 4:13 PM Post #2,571 of 2,788
Well, guys, it's been a great trip, but now I'm leaving from edition XS to LCD-X. All the best and thanks for an awesome experience, you showed me a lot, I liked a lot, thanks to Hifiman for a great job really!

Jul 11, 2023 at 12:16 PM Post #2,572 of 2,788
Well, guys, it's been a great trip, but now I'm leaving from edition XS to LCD-X. All the best and thanks for an awesome experience, you showed me a lot, I liked a lot, thanks to Hifiman for a great job really!
I made the exact same transition. Zero regrets. The bass and note weight of the LCD-X 2021 is significantly better than the XS. It has a fuller sound than the thinner "house sound" of HiFiMan. But the LCD-X 2021 -- like most Audeze headphones -- really needs EQ to shine, while the XS does not.

Jul 11, 2023 at 12:39 PM Post #2,574 of 2,788
Zero regrets.
Same here : )

really needs EQ to shine, while the XS does not.
For me it's vice versa - I had hard time cooling upper frequencies and ended up using parametric 100% of time with XS. With LCD-x'21 Ive been listening to my library for a day just on bit perfect and never wanted to touch anything. I guess I've simply just found my sound, while Edition XS has another focus and all I've been doing is trying to make something from it which it is not. I can't say it's thin - it just another beast (and a good one).

It is a bless now not to touch anything and listen to the music and not the settings finally.

My neck would not be prepared to suffer the pain of an hour session every day. :)

6 hours today - so far so good (so what ))

Jul 11, 2023 at 12:50 PM Post #2,575 of 2,788
I think relatively the same, the XS needs EQ according to my tastes to increase the bass a little, reduce the treble and make the voices better, I tried the one from Oratory and Rtings, I prefer the one from Rtings with some modifications so that the voices are not so back.
My current chain is: Hifiman EF-400 (provides the necessary warmth) + Hifiman XS makes me reconsider staying here for a while until I can go for a Utopia I suppose.

Jul 11, 2023 at 4:44 PM Post #2,576 of 2,788
The Edition XS is currently priced at £368 on Amazon (UK) with the prime day discount. Absolute steal at that price.
IMG_0110.jpeg

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2023 at 5:43 PM Post #2,577 of 2,788
The Edition XS is currently priced at £368 on Amazon (UK) with the prime day discount. Absolute steal at that price.
For the people who live in the third world, I got it on aliexpress for $330 (already listening the XS, I feel that it was a very cheap price, and without taxes).
I love you very much Dr. Fang

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2023 at 10:35 AM Post #2,578 of 2,788
I know this has been mentioned in this thread in the past, but swapping out the regular pads with the Dekoni Elite Velour pads is well worth the cost of them.

The comfort is significantly better and the headphone feels more securely clamped, probably due to the faux leather on the standard pads having less friction and therefore being more likely to slip and slide against your skin compared to the velour. The velour material also feels nicer. I imagine they will require more maintenance and effort to be kept clean and in good condition, but the trade off is worth it.

Jul 12, 2023 at 11:17 AM Post #2,579 of 2,788
I know this has been mentioned in this thread in the past, but swapping out the regular pads with the Dekoni Elite Velour pads is well worth the cost of them.

The comfort is significantly better and the headphone feels more securely clamped, probably due to the faux leather on the standard pads having less friction and therefore being more likely to slip and slide against your skin compared to the velour. The velour material also feels nicer. I imagine they will require more maintenance and effort to be kept clean and in good condition, but the trade off is worth it.
What about the sound compared to the stock ones?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back