Hifiman Edition XS Launched
Jun 5, 2023 at 12:15 PM Post #2,551 of 2,784
I'll try to test Arya without EQ to see how it sounds.

I've found XS to be like cheaper version of Arya from all sides (doesn't mean that XS are bad). So signature - wise it is the same but darn refined in every way, so if you like this sound overall - Arya is a great choice. I've been looking at it as an end game for me for quite a time, but since I tend to feel a bit fatigued by it's upper frequencies I've decided to move to LCD-X (almost).

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2023 at 1:59 PM Post #2,552 of 2,784
I've found XS to be like cheaper version of Arya from all sides (doesn't mean that XS are bad). So signature - wise it is the same but darn refined in every way, so if you like this sound overall - Arya is a great choice. I've been looking at it as an end game for me for quite a time, but since I tend to feel a bit fatigued by it's upper frequencies I've decided to move to LCD-X (almost).

LCD-X may be a great alternative to Arya, but its weight of around 600g is too much for me.

Jun 5, 2023 at 4:56 PM Post #2,553 of 2,784
LCD-X may be a great alternative to Arya, but its weight of around 600g is too much for me.
Yep my main concern along with how hot (temperature) they might be with leather pads for several hours, been 3 times in the shop and sitting for 40+ minutes in them, so far looks doable. Also it seemed to me that after 30 minutes my ears became cooler (no pun intended)) - either because leather has done it thing and micro climate inside ear pads stabilized or it's just me tryin to negotiate myself into buying them already : ) Still seems to me that occasionally lowering the bass on LCD-x is much more preferable than constant suffocating XS with high shelf and 11700 dip, but anyway they are both soooo good.

Arya is unbeatable at things like the Witcher OST with all that ethnic and ambient stuff - just magnificent, that flutist inhales and other stuff 🥲:)

Jun 14, 2023 at 12:36 PM Post #2,555 of 2,784
I recently bought some XS, could anyone buy a better headband like Arya's or higher? I'll feel very uncomfortable with the stock one. :)
Try gently kneading the hot spots on the padding with your thumbs. The headband on my XS was very uncomfortable for me until I did some "thumb work." It was fine after that.

Jun 15, 2023 at 3:32 PM Post #2,556 of 2,784
These were on sale here and I picked up a pair out of curiosity.

I find that while they work with Focal single ended cables they don't work with the balanced XLR cables that came with the Focal clear.

I was hoping to do a comparison with other phones from the same output on the Sony TA-ZH1ES

Jun 16, 2023 at 6:44 PM Post #2,557 of 2,784
Recently i had the Edition XS at home for Demo, along with the Meze 109 Pro and LCD2C.
The lcd2c really failed to impress, even after trying different EQ profiles. The bass, while pretty visceral, always sounded kind of wooden and one dimensional. Mids and hights soundet always a bit nasaly and never really correct even with EQ.
The Meze 109 have been really good an competed with the Edition XS. They do have a warmer signature down low, are very lifely and dynamic. However in some songs the treble started to get a bit troublesome (for most songs it was not disturbing tough) . Also i felt the mid bass was quite elevated and in some cases bleeded a bit into the mids in comparison to the XS. Soundstage i felt was good and overall a fun listen.
In the end i chose the XS because i thougth they have better seperation in the lower registers, a softer but still exiting presentation and the soundstage wowed me more than the 109. XS are more agreeable in the hights to my ears as well.
Needless to say, the 109 take the cake in built quality, but the XS are not as bad expected from some comments. Comfort is really good for me with the minimal clamp, and while i have portruding ears, they dont touch anything (on the 109 my helix slighty touched the metal grill).

In the end, the XS are the clear winner for me and i hope will not run in QC issues :)
They are a great complement to the HD6xx, sundaras will be sold soon.

Jun 23, 2023 at 6:07 AM Post #2,558 of 2,784
I am considering judicious use of my money for an XS, however, this thread has gotten somewhat quiet as of lately. Any long term users care to comment in my persuasion? Positive or negative? I'm considering the purchase as endgame due mostly to age and hearing related issues. Would likely sell all my other HPs except the X2 to simply life further. Comments appreciated. Thanks.

Jun 23, 2023 at 6:28 AM Post #2,559 of 2,784
I purchased my XS back in February (in Kuala-Lumpur, Malaysia, when I was there for a couple of days), and this pair is still good and running especially taking into account that I have traveled with them literally thousands of kilometers (mostly by plane) since then (Malaysia/Thailand/Kazakhstan/Russia/Uzbekistan/Spain). Not that I am using them on the go, but I wanted to mention that they still work and sound good :) Working 90% in pair with Topping E70/D70, 5% with Questyle M15 (surprisingly good) and Topping G5.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2023 at 8:53 AM Post #2,560 of 2,784
I am considering judicious use of my money for an XS, however, this thread has gotten somewhat quiet as of lately. Any long term users care to comment in my persuasion? Positive or negative? I'm considering the purchase as endgame due mostly to age and hearing related issues. Would likely sell all my other HPs except the X2 to simply life further. Comments appreciated. Thanks.
They're all I've got, and paired with a Mojo 2 being fed by a WiiM Mini, they're all I need. I I think this setup could really be endgame for most people. Having said that, I'm more of a music lover than a headphone lover, so take it with a grain of salt.

I may check out the Arya Organic when they hit the used market here in Japan, but that would be more out of curiosity than any real desire to upgrade. I've heard the Arya Stealth, and while they're absolutely lovely, I have never felt the need to sell the XS in order to purchase them.

As I type this, I'm listening to Mark Lettieri. His guitar sounds brilliant, the bass is slammin' and the snare is crackin'. What more could you want?

Jun 23, 2023 at 10:54 AM Post #2,561 of 2,784
I purchased the XS about a month ago. It's far exceeded my expectations. I really love this headphone. Like most people I'm sure, even though I'm completely satisfied with the headphone and enjoy every minute listening to it, its already making me look ahead and wondering what the Ananda and Arya must sound like - if I'm enjoying the XS this much. I'm also only running it off a Zen Dac V2 & Zen Can Stack - not a high-end set up

I am m fortunate that the headband seems to fit my head okay. I know that's been a common issue for a lot of people. I did buy some Dakoni nuggets but didn't need them. The clamp is pretty loose, but I only use the headphone when sat at my desk, so its not really an issue for me. I would recommend upgrading the cable to a 4.4mm balanced one, I did this straight away and felt it was a noticeable improvement - although it could just be a placebo effect.

If you enjoy open-back planars, you can't really go wrong for the price in my opinion.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2023 at 12:02 PM Post #2,562 of 2,784
I got mine when it was just released in China, a few months before it appeared in USA and then Europe.
I had mine till recently, when I sold it, because I had moved up to a £1300 LCD-XC, so I didn't need it anymore, and my wife wouldn't allow me to keep two pricey headphones.
The XS is as good as you can get for the money + 30%. It is one of the better sounding headphones that sound right out of the box. You can EQ, if you want to, but you don't have to.
One of the main reasons why I changed, was the fact that I needed a closed back headphone! (wife again . . .).
Don't think twice, get one!
It also keeps its value for resale.

Jun 23, 2023 at 3:37 PM Post #2,563 of 2,784
I've only had my pair for a couple of weeks and I'm still fitting it in to my desktop. I have been using a very early pair (2013) of LCD-X and was considering buying a new model LCD-X but eventually felt I wanted to try something very different. I have been wary of Hifiman as I also have the HE-500 and while they are good I got tired of having to keep a screw driver on my desk to tighten the forks.

I am running them out of the legendary Bakoon current mode amp and I can say they are truly excellent, and more so when you factor in the cost. If the XS were released 2 years ago at $2500 no one would have batted an eye.

My LCD-X are very good, I feel I have a Unicorn pair and I never looked into updating the drivers. The XS are close with the resolution presenting more in the high mids whereas the LCD-X resolves more lower. I haven't been able to compare them as I want to on the TA-ZH1ES as I am waiting for balanced cables for the XS. So far after my very short experience with the XS I would unreservedly recommend them, especially at their price.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2023 at 9:35 AM Post #2,565 of 2,784
This isn't a review of XS but Hifiman Arya Stealth version which I love quite alot, especially paired with my 2W hybrid tube amp Xduoo TA10.

Everybody praise gigantic headroom of these as well as imaging and clarity, and for good reason since its certainly the highlight, but the vivid sparkly treble is so fascinating too...give a read to my review for more details, it include comparison to Sundara and Sennheiser HD820

Pros:
-exceptional resolution
-exceptional imaging
-exceptional technicalities
-gigantic headroom
-holographic multi layered spatiality
-excellent transparency
-realist richly textured timbre
-fast, snappy and controlled attack
-can deal with busy track gloriously
-open airy crisp and delicate treble
-wide center stage and clear mid range
-impactfull and warm bass
-very comfortable (no hard clamping force and big ear cups)
-can take EQ and bass boost without distortion
-detachable cable
-swivable ear cups
-potent sound value under 1K$
Cons:
-not the most define or deep bass response
-a bit thin mid range
-treble can sometime stole the show
-source picky (transparent to source)
-need at least 1W of amping
-construction will OK isn't mind blowing for the price
-cheap cable