Hifiman Edition XS Launched
Nov 18, 2021 at 6:11 PM Post #212 of 2,788
I've never had the chance to hear any Hifiman gear yet. The only cans I've heard are the Argon mk3, Esp95x, and 58x's. Can someone help me compare the XS with these so I can try and understand where it's similar and different from what I've heard before?

Nov 20, 2021 at 6:59 PM Post #213 of 2,788
I've never had the chance to hear any Hifiman gear yet. The only cans I've heard are the Argon mk3, Esp95x, and 58x's. Can someone help me compare the XS with these so I can try and understand where it's similar and different from what I've heard before?
Not heard the XS but I have the Edition XX and I've heard Ananda and Sundara. I'd guess the XS has some of the best qualities of all your headphone stable. It'll have good bass but not as much as Argon. It'll have great speed but not as much as Esp95x.... but better than Argon. It will stage very well and likely deeper than Argon. Details will not be a great as Esp95x (although less etched or dry)....but more than your other cans and perhaps smoother . Hope this helps. I wouldn't doubt that you could effectively get the XS and sell the rest of your cans because it'll be a great all-around-er.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2021 at 7:51 PM Post #214 of 2,788

They have way better bass extension. Ananda basically has no sub bass.
I usually pick at the Ananda but they go down to 20 Hz quite well. They might be down -2.5 db compared to 100 Hz. But compared to many well loved cans such as the HE-400, 4XX, Sundara - there is no comparison except for those fooled into thinking that bass from 80-240 Hz masquarading as bass from 20-60 is actually real.

Now the Ananda is short of impact in the bass, but that's another animal.

Nov 21, 2021 at 1:42 AM Post #215 of 2,788
I usually pick at the Ananda but they go down to 20 Hz quite well. They might be down -2.5 db compared to 100 Hz. But compared to many well loved cans such as the HE-400, 4XX, Sundara - there is no comparison except for those fooled into thinking that bass from 80-240 Hz masquarading as bass from 20-60 is actually real.

Now the Ananda is short of impact in the bass, but that's another animal.
1637476888010.png

it's a pretty big bass dip. and the edition x v2 is a lot flatter and this seems more like what i'm hearing in the XS.
1637476967791.png

Nov 21, 2021 at 4:23 AM Post #216 of 2,788
I agree HEX v2 bass is slightly better down low. OTOH, I've seen at least 3 graphs and backed it with listening tests that show the Ananda to be closer to the HEX FR results under 60 Hz then that crinicle graph.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2021 at 6:42 AM Post #217 of 2,788
I'm really tempted but.....

I currently own both the 2020 Sundara & the Ananda and out of the two - I reach for the Sundara way more. I'm sure that the major contributing factor is comfort & not SQ, I just throw the Sundaras on my head and they disappear without any need for adjustment, whereas with the Anandas I find myself second guessing positioning and I feel (sense) them around my jaw line area all the time. I wouldn't call them uncomfortable but there is a stark difference in the way they fit my head.

Maybe the egg shaped HFMs aren't for me?

Nov 21, 2021 at 11:15 PM Post #218 of 2,788
I'm really tempted but.....

I currently own both the 2020 Sundara & the Ananda and out of the two - I reach for the Sundara way more. I'm sure that the major contributing factor is comfort & not SQ, I just throw the Sundaras on my head and they disappear without any need for adjustment, whereas with the Anandas I find myself second guessing positioning and I feel (sense) them around my jaw line area all the time. I wouldn't call them uncomfortable but there is a stark difference in the way they fit my head.

Maybe the egg shaped HFMs aren't for me?
The egg shape is not for everyone, for some where it rests is going to be less comfortable.

I am 6'5" and have a tall head, so for me the egg-like Arya actually disappears where my Sundara is always "there", even though I consider both of them comfortable. For reference the Arya's earcups don't even reach my jaw area, which is the area of complaint I see most often.

I don't see why that would change for you with the Edition XS.

Nov 22, 2021 at 3:31 PM Post #219 of 2,788
The egg shape is not for everyone, for some where it rests is going to be less comfortable.

I am 6'5" and have a tall head, so for me the egg-like Arya actually disappears where my Sundara is always "there", even though I consider both of them comfortable. For reference the Arya's earcups don't even reach my jaw area, which is the area of complaint I see most often.

I don't see why that would change for you with the Edition XS.
Also 6'5" also an egg head. I can only wear size 2XL hats, and 90% of cans don't extend cups down far enough to fully reach my ears. It's heartbreaking how many great pairs I've not been able to buy after trying them on just for that reason, and how many had snapped when I tried to bend them to create a more "U" shape bend to reach my ears.

Nov 22, 2021 at 7:12 PM Post #220 of 2,788
Respectfully

genuine lambskin leather with memory-foam earpads plus sealed design will change that I'm confiden
Better seal will help. But Ananda has bass down to 15 Hz. It's clean and we'll damped. It lacks in impact and doesn't get the authentic low end sound on low bass and some drums and fit might have a slight effec

I have had a HEX v2 for almost 3 years. Similar bass to Ananda. Use nuggets, two cables better than stock (Artic Cardas and silver Litz from Ted). Changed head position and ear position in cup. Great for bass speed and damping - good for background bass and drums. But for solo or lowest notes - but never once in the hundreds maybe thousands of hours have they caught the sound right. I had the HE-6 6 screw for about 50 hours and heard the impact dozens of times and had my eyes slam shut by the impact dozens more times.

Score:

HE-6 ----- 100
HEX v2 - 0
Ananda - 0

Nov 22, 2021 at 9:54 PM Post #221 of 2,788
Also 6'5" also an egg head. I can only wear size 2XL hats, and 90% of cans don't extend cups down far enough to fully reach my ears. It's heartbreaking how many great pairs I've not been able to buy after trying them on just for that reason, and how many had snapped when I tried to bend them to create a more "U" shape bend to reach my ears.
I don't have an egg exactly haha, I'm more stone head on Easter Island, tall and square and wide all at once. Headphones snapping on my head while I'm listening to music is like a superpower. I have to completely avoid headbands and adjustment sliders made of rubber.

I had to superglue the sliders of my Sundara because it kept popping apart due to the stress, and I already wore it at max adjustment.

I just recently got the Arya and I've been so happy that the eggs are actually advantageous for me. I sort of can't imagine how a person with a short head deals with the earcups sitting on their jawline, sounds absolutely bizarre. Big head thoughts.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2021 at 1:51 AM Post #222 of 2,788
I don't have an egg exactly haha, I'm more stone head on Easter Island, tall and square and wide all at once. Headphones snapping on my head while I'm listening to music is like a superpower. I have to completely avoid headbands and adjustment sliders made of rubber.

I had to superglue the sliders of my Sundara because it kept popping apart due to the stress, and I already wore it at max adjustment.

I just recently got the Arya and I've been so happy that the eggs are actually advantageous for me. I sort of can't imagine how a person with a short head deals with the earcups sitting on their jawline, sounds absolutely bizarre. Big head thoughts.
I need Dekoni Nuggets to get my XS to fit. I have a small head (Kangol size S mens).

Nov 23, 2021 at 1:12 PM Post #223 of 2,788
I need Dekoni Nuggets to get my XS to fit. I have a small head (Kangol size S mens).
That means the cups must extend down pretty far, that's good. So XS doesn't mean eXtra Small. lol. I recall the Ananda / XX / and others in their egg earcup line reaching my ears just fine. A rare honor they share with Sennheiser's 6X series (including my Drop 59X). The Senn actually reach not even fully extended. Possibly the only to do that ever.

Nov 23, 2021 at 8:29 PM Post #224 of 2,788
That means the cups must extend down pretty far, that's good. So XS doesn't mean eXtra Small. lol. I recall the Ananda / XX / and others in their egg earcup line reaching my ears just fine. A rare honor they share with Sennheiser's 6X series (including my Drop 59X). The Senn actually reach not even fully extended. Possibly the only to do that ever.
HD650 and Focal Elex have been the most comfy headphones I’ve had. Ollo S4X and Edition XS are next in comfort. HE-500 (even with a suspension band add-on) is the worst.

Nov 24, 2021 at 8:34 PM Post #225 of 2,788
Okay, beyond the FR response, there’s the fact that with the XS, I’m THERE. Every other headphone I’ve had (including Focal Elex and HE-500) has been “flat” in comparison. The HE-500 are super, super narrow from a soundstage perspective. With the XS, the bass and midrange are happening in different “spaces” that don’t interfere or override one another. That means every listen can be different depending on whether I want to focus on the bass, the midrange, or the treble of the song or… it’s not even a song anymore—it’s a performance. Wanna watch the bassist’s fingers on the frets and the sound she’s making? You’re THERE. You can do that as if you’re in the space it’s being played. Drummer has you focusing on every hit if you want. Pokrog is right about the intimacy. If it’s recorded with intimate female vocals, it’s like hearing it from lap-dance range. The hairs on the back of your head will stand b end.
Gs
Slothrust “Cranium” and Monolink “We Don’t Sleep” are gorgeous. I’m hearing effects pedal stuff I never heard before on His Name Is Alive’s first track of the Tecuciztecatl album, “The Examination.”

You need to hear it.
500's are super narrow? Well I cheat but with Ether Angled pads and no screens I get a regular rectangle much like a good speaker that for top recordings is about 135 degrees wide.

The HE-500 is top 10 if not top 5 on favorites lists here from 2010-2021. It wouldn't be there if it is as narrow as you say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back