Hifiman Edition XS Launched
Nov 17, 2021 at 2:58 AM Post #196 of 2,791
holy smokes boi you got them so dirty already - showing no love? what's that smudginess and scratchiness you got going on there?
testing different ways to remove the paint from the cups. gonna paint them eventually. thinking a nice pure blue or gunmetal. i have way too many black headphones lol. i bought these to mod and i'm trying not to screw anything up so i'm taking baby steps to test what seems the safest.

Nov 17, 2021 at 4:24 AM Post #197 of 2,791
testing different ways to remove the paint from the cups. gonna paint them eventually. thinking a nice pure blue or gunmetal. i have way too many black headphones lol. i bought these to mod and i'm trying not to screw anything up so i'm taking baby steps to test what seems the safest.
Ok long as your nice to them.

Nov 17, 2021 at 6:55 AM Post #198 of 2,791
Two Bricks :o2smile:
Stock is like "boy you're gonna carry that weight".

Taking off the screens and changing to the 4XX headband makes it better. Using a reclining chair with a headrest makes it a non-issue.

Nov 17, 2021 at 7:02 AM Post #199 of 2,791
Punch and slam can't be measured, but my subjective impression is that it has better punch/slam than the Ananda. The 6SE had that even more. Maybe the XS does a better job with that elongated cup.
The elongated cup HFM"s under the Arya price tag - HEX v2, Ananda, and XX lack slam. Less than the 500, 6se*. Way less than the original 6. It's a problem IMO.

If the XS slam is as good as the Arya 1 that would be good.

Nov 17, 2021 at 7:47 AM Post #200 of 2,791
Price has gone up at Hifigo again to 499

Resellers gonna reseller. The demand seems to be there so fair enough, if their no import/tax thing is legit (as in, works, can’t imagine HMRC et al. are on-board) then still works out cheaper than Linsoul/Ali for UK/EU buyers.

Nov 17, 2021 at 9:34 AM Post #201 of 2,791
The elongated cup HFM"s under the Arya price tag - HEX v2, Ananda, and XX lack slam. Less than the 500, 6se*. Way less than the original 6. It's a problem IMO.

If the XS slam is as good as the Arya 1 that would be good.

Not sure how you heard that. XX is very slammy by mine and most accounts. One of my favorite aspects of them.

Nov 17, 2021 at 9:49 AM Post #202 of 2,791
There are some real nasty/grumpy people over there, but no noob's either. Let's say expert friendly.
Yeah, not a friendly place at all. I sought an opinion about two headphones that I also posted on a few other headphone forums and was greeted with almost-instant snark and derision. Goodbye, bookmark! I'll stick to head-fi and other spots.

Nov 17, 2021 at 10:16 AM Post #203 of 2,791
Not sure how you heard that. XX is very slammy by mine and most accounts. One of my favorite aspects of them.
Ever heard the 6 or 4 screw HE-6 on a SS 10 wpc at 50 ohms? That's slam/impact. Even the 6sev* which has maybe 60% of the original 6 impact has well more the the XX I heard. Now it could be that the XX I heard was not up to snuff, but it's bass was fully in the HFM long cup mode. I've heard the Ananda and my HEX v2 a lot more than the XX but heavy EQ can't fix the impact issue either for those two.

Nov 17, 2021 at 10:31 AM Post #204 of 2,791
Ever heard the 6 or 4 screw HE-6 on a SS 10 wpc at 50 ohms? That's slam/impact. Even the 6sev* which has maybe 60% of the original 6 impact has well more the the XX I heard. Now it could be that the XX I heard was not up to snuff, but it's bass was fully in the HFM long cup mode. I've heard the Ananda and my HEX v2 a lot more than the XX but heavy EQ can't fix the impact issue either for those two.

I haven't heard them but I know of their reputation. Not sure it's fair to compare headphones to one with legendary P&S and say they don't have any. It's also not accurate to lump Ananda with the XX in that regard as they have very different sound characteristics. For reference, the Arya Stealths which I just started listening to last night have very similar P&S to my XX on first impression.

Nov 17, 2021 at 1:11 PM Post #205 of 2,791
I haven't heard them but I know of their reputation. Not sure it's fair to compare headphones to one with legendary P&S and say they don't have any. It's also not accurate to lump Ananda with the XX in that regard as they have very different sound characteristics. For reference, the Arya Stealths which I just started listening to last night have very similar P&S to my XX on first impression.
We are on the same side. I don't like the Ananda much for one thing. The HEX v2 and XX have excellent bass speed, timbre, and damping. They move a lot of air but they really do not have impact like the 6 (most don't). Its really a physical thing the HEK se doesnt do impact in a memorable way either
I'm not a bass head so the 6sev* has a good level of impact IMO.

The XX and HEX are very similar with the clean mids and slightly depressed 2-5k range. Have yet to hear the latest Arya. But the original has more bass impact than the XX. However the highs are more similar. The XX rings at 5k, 9k, 16k which gives it the occasional sharp sound which the Arya has in abundance.

Nov 18, 2021 at 12:38 AM Post #206 of 2,791
The bass on these is simply… real. Sometimes I get a smidge… uh… inebriated when I listen, and I can easily imagine myself hearing the band play live in whatever venue they were going for. Nothing intrudes on anything else. I’ve never had headphones this good before, so I’m sure you folks who’ve had the higher end planars or summit-fi stuff must be a lot more even-handed in your thinking about them.

I had a feeling about these that wouldn’t go away until I bought them practically blind. I read two Chinese language softball reviews before I plunked down my money.

It really worked out this time!

Nov 18, 2021 at 3:10 AM Post #207 of 2,791
The bass on these is simply… real. Sometimes I get a smidge… uh… inebriated when I listen, and I can easily imagine myself hearing the band play live in whatever venue they were going for. Nothing intrudes on anything else. I’ve never had headphones this good before, so I’m sure you folks who’ve had the higher end planars or summit-fi stuff must be a lot more even-handed in your thinking about them.

I had a feeling about these that wouldn’t go away until I bought them practically blind. I read two Chinese language softball reviews before I plunked down my money.

It really worked out this time!
I am the lucky owner of HiFiMan Ananda. Advise whether it makes sense to buy Edition XS ??? What benefits will I get ??? I miss low frequencies and punch in Ananda

Nov 18, 2021 at 3:14 PM Post #208 of 2,791
I am the lucky owner of HiFiMan Ananda. Advise whether it makes sense to buy Edition XS ??? What benefits will I get ??? I miss low frequencies and punch in Ananda
They rattle my ears and jaw for songs like this:

Nov 18, 2021 at 4:44 PM Post #209 of 2,791
Heck, this headphone is tempting! I have an Edition XX that I really enjoy except for the midrange becoming congested in busy passages and the XS sounds like an upgrade all around. But I really should be patient since HIFIGO and Linsoul are listed as non-official dealers on Hifiman's site (not to mention the randos selling them on AliExpress....). I just hope that if/when it's offered internationally the price doesn't jump up too much or I'm going to be kicking myself, regardless of warranty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back