Hifiman Edition XS Launched
Nov 16, 2021 at 12:08 PM Post #181 of 2,791
Just when I was looking to get a sundara or even a ananda I find this one.

Nov 16, 2021 at 12:21 PM Post #182 of 2,791
I haven’t gotten much into modding them. Just the angled pads HiFiMan made for them.
If you are interested lots of info here on the main 500 thread, and on SBAF too..

I suspect there isn't much needed for the XS on the mod front. Cables, nuggets, proper placement on the head. That's about it. Easier. But the HE-6 and HE-500 can go from being top notch cans in 2010 to being near the same now,

Nov 16, 2021 at 2:01 PM Post #183 of 2,791
If you are interested lots of info here on the main 500 thread, and on SBAF too..

I suspect there isn't much needed for the XS on the mod front. Cables, nuggets, proper placement on the head. That's about it. Easier. But the HE-6 and HE-500 can go from being top notch cans in 2010 to being near the same now,
SBAF?

Nov 16, 2021 at 3:35 PM Post #184 of 2,791
Yeah. Its the first hit in google and is mentioned on this site a few thousand times. I can't actually spell it out or the post will be deleted (no joke).

Nov 16, 2021 at 4:03 PM Post #186 of 2,791
Beyond ridiculous, but it has happened to me - along with a mod "reminder" about the forum rules
There are some real nasty/grumpy people over there, but no noob's either. Let's say expert friendly.

Nov 16, 2021 at 5:34 PM Post #188 of 2,791
Same here. Was almost ready to get the Sundara, but apparently this one is like the 2nd coming.
Can't see how HiFiMan will keep these in China after the buzz these cans have created globally. Reminds me a lot of the HE-400se, which are remarkable 'phones for the price.

I love my HE-400se's as a poor man's Sundara, so if these are the 400se equivalent to the Ananda, then I'm ALL OVER THEM like sweat on cotton in a gym.

Nov 16, 2021 at 5:55 PM Post #189 of 2,791
AliExpress has some Hifiman Edition Earpads if anyone wants to give them a go. Theres some protein leather, Fabric and Sheepskin. They won't break the bank. I've bought some sheepskin earpads for my Audeze Sine DX on there and pretty damn good quality I must say. I'd easily pay tripple the price. Can anyone show how the earpads are mounted on the XS though? Seems like the earpads on AliExpress use adhesive tape. These are the cheapest I can find. Some others are a little more expensive. But have a look around on there.
Yeah I just grabbed me from a cheaper source - sheepskin - $20 total with shipping - funny, I know. Stick on vers. Will check em out. I hope the sizes are right (sometimes one is thicker than the other) but I couldn't fork out $40+ for pads - anyhow, will update on that. Stick on is fine for me long as they do the job. And yeah, sheepskin feels sooo much nicer. Pads are my current complaint (itchy fabric) with the XS, so hopefully, that will be sorted.

Yeah the stock pads are mounted via multiple notches (smaller than 4XX series, and about 8 of them instead of 4). Yeah stock pads glued on - only way to salvage the mounting 'ring' would be to just end up with the ring and destroyed stock pad.

Nov 16, 2021 at 11:25 PM Post #193 of 2,791
My Edition XX was much more enjoyable than the original Sundara. Sundara has no dynamics by comparison. XX sounds much bigger...so I imagine the Edition XS to be a winner!
Punch and slam can't be measured, but my subjective impression is that it has better punch/slam than the Ananda. The 6SE had that even more. Maybe the XS does a better job with that elongated cup.

Nov 17, 2021 at 12:27 AM Post #194 of 2,791
What blows my mind even more about the XS is how light it feels. The HE-500 is like carrying a brick on one’s head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back