Hifiman Edition X
Mar 1, 2019 at 6:26 PM Post #3,691 of 4,030
This is going to take some time to figure out - but in brief - those cups are huge, most of us are so used to cups we can barely get our ears in the position of the cans vis a vis ears isn't a topic.

I've briefly tried 5 positions and 3 of them are very different from the others. Might have to get some equipment to verify any impressions.

Mar 3, 2019 at 12:47 PM Post #3,692 of 4,030
Any of you have old Edition X? I've recently bought one and although I'm really enjoying their huge sound, after removing pads (which were glued) I got a bit worried..
I guess the membrane shouldn't have any wrinkles on it, right?
IMG_20190215_193723.jpg
Not even talking about the damage near the jack.

Shoul'd I be worried about their longevity?

Mar 3, 2019 at 7:54 PM Post #3,693 of 4,030
I understand the skepticism regarding cable swapping, even if I do not entirely share it. However, the Edition XV2 has the astonishing disadvantage of not having come with any kind of stock balanced cable option, even though, on some HP amps, replacing the stock cable with a 4-pin balanced cable does make an immediately noticeable, and quite dramatic, difference to the sq. on different levels. I verified this myself, when I had the XV2, by replacing the stock SE cable with my 4--pin balanced Sennheiser CH-700S cable (which is meant for the HD 700). I tried it balanced on both my Violectric V281 and Bryston 2b LP, and in both cases, the difference was not at all subtle. All that immediately did was make me wonder why Hifiman would shoot themselves in the foot, so to speak, by not including a 4-pin balanced cable in the XV2 package as an option, especially given how much these cans cost...

With all that said, experimenting with their stock balanced cables, even when they're are included, reveal weaknesses when compared with other types of cables. I have experienced that difference too with both the He-6 and the He-1000 by replacing the stock with different cables from Norne Audio, but that is another story altogether, which is better left for another context, since I do not want to go off the topic of the Edition X.

My point here is that the non-inclusion of a balanced cable in the XV2 package renders one essential because of the important difference it can make when used with some amps on which the balanced outputs are enhanced for better performance than the SE outputs.

Let me be clear. The cables that come with the HEX V2 suck. I got them used with a copper OFC aftermarket 4 pin cable, which is much better. All my cans sound better balanced because my amp is made to to run that way, but, even taking that away, it's not very good. I'd like to hear them with a good SPC cable, but I'm not forking out for a pre-made one. I've got left overs from the HE-500 but that stuff if brutal (microphonic and way to shimmery on top). But it might . Cheap enough to order up to make a set, but I've got 5 open project now, so wait on that.

Any of you have old Edition X? I've recently bought one and although I'm really enjoying their huge sound, after removing pads (which were glued) I got a bit worried..
I guess the membrane shouldn't have any wrinkles on it, right?

Not even talking about the damage near the jack.

Shoul'd I be worried about their longevity?

That looks like a rip. At the edge of the membrane, there isn't much movement according to what I have read, so perhaps you will luck out. There is a lot of tension on those membranes, so if it doesn't fail I'd be trying to figure out if it sounds like the other side.

Mar 3, 2019 at 9:21 PM Post #3,694 of 4,030
Let's be clear. The cables that come with the HEX V2 suck.

Hardly...at least as the single-ended non balanced cables they are designed to be. TheyThey look like something more suited for an ED surgical room but they sound great, particularly as an upgrade to the massdrop/hifiman 4xx.

Mar 3, 2019 at 9:32 PM Post #3,695 of 4,030
Let's be clear. The cables that come with the HEX V2 suck.

Hardly...at least as the single-ended non balanced cables they are designed to be. TheyThey look like something more suited for an ED surgical room but they sound great, particularly as an upgrade to the massdrop/hifiman 4xx.

They are physically unwieldy certainly (rolling up and appearance). I'm not the only one to complain about them on that basis or the sonics. HFM is known for poor stock cables. The 560 v1, HE500, and HE-400i are all underwhelming.

The MD-4XX goes for $170, and the HEX V2 $1800, then $1200. They should be a lot better. The Sundara, HE-560, Ananda are all stepping stones up to the HEX.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2019 at 4:02 AM Post #3,696 of 4,030
That looks like a rip. At the edge of the membrane, there isn't much movement according to what I have read, so perhaps you will luck out. There is a lot of tension on those membranes, so if it doesn't fail I'd be trying to figure out if it sounds like the other side.
Luckily that's not a rip. Membrane is still air-tight so it shouldn't influence sound.
However as I said, I'm more concerned about the loose membrane (with wrinkles?). Does anyone have experience with old membranes becoming loose?

Mar 4, 2019 at 8:16 AM Post #3,697 of 4,030
Luckily that's not a rip. Membrane is still air-tight so it shouldn't influence sound.
However as I said, I'm more concerned about the loose membrane (with wrinkles?). Does anyone have experience with old membranes becoming loose?

If its not ripped, all I can think of is that it was a manufacturing issue, or it got heated and the glue that holds it down partially failed. I owned dipole 7 speakers, and had 5 more on long term loan, plus my 5 cans, and never saw anything like that.

How does it sound?

Mar 4, 2019 at 8:30 AM Post #3,698 of 4,030
If its not ripped, all I can think of is that it was a manufacturing issue, or it got heated and the glue that holds it down partially failed. I owned dipole 7 speakers, and had 5 more on long term loan, plus my 5 cans, and never saw anything like that.

How does it sound?
Unfortunately I can´t compare it to any newer models, so my description alone would be worthless.
Sometimes I feel the bass not being as tight as I would like it to be, but I assume this is the "relaxed" nature od edX everyone is describing.
My right (damaged) cup actually extends deeper, because the left one probably has some minor leaks. Even Tyll measured similar imbalance in bass..
All I´m asking is if someone with old edX can remove the pads and look if their membrane is still tight or similar to mine :)

Mar 4, 2019 at 3:47 PM Post #3,699 of 4,030
Unfortunately I can´t compare it to any newer models, so my description alone would be worthless.
Sometimes I feel the bass not being as tight as I would like it to be, but I assume this is the "relaxed" nature od edX everyone is describing.
My right (damaged) cup actually extends deeper, because the left one probably has some minor leaks. Even Tyll measured similar imbalance in bass..
All I´m asking is if someone with old edX can remove the pads and look if their membrane is still tight or similar to mine :)

Just to be clear - in the photo at about 2:30 on the membrane above the bar at 3:00 is not a hole?

It could be that your cups are not evenly pressed down on your head - meaning a leak. try pressing down on them a bit, while keeping your hands from covering the cups, and see if the bass is even at that point.

Mar 4, 2019 at 4:48 PM Post #3,700 of 4,030
It may seem like a hole, but luckily it isn't.
I'm not able to find a right word for it (imprint?), it is just stretched at this little part of surface.

The seal issue isn't caused by pads, but probably by the plastic construction not being tight.
I can see the plastic construction on the left side has some small gaps, which is probably the cause from the leak. Left cup even makes noise when I move my jaw sometimes I wonder if someone dropped these on the floor or what.
I even have measurement, but don't want to post it here as it comes from one forum which is not popular here...

Mar 5, 2019 at 7:12 AM Post #3,701 of 4,030
This is going to take some time to figure out - but in brief - those cups are huge, most of us are so used to cups we can barely get our ears in the position of the cans vis a vis ears isn't a topic.

I've briefly tried 5 positions and 3 of them are very different from the others. Might have to get some equipment to verify any impressions.

No question that this is a "thing". There are two positions on my head where the treble really gets to my ears, and in those two they sound well more complete then if you just put them on your head and go, or twist them to odd positions.

1. Headband at the back end of your head with the cups pushing the flaps of your ears slightly forward
2. Well towards the front of your head with the flaps of your ears pushed slightly forward.

I like #2 better as the ears stay where they are longer. Using an EQ would probably give you a similar improvement. It really helps details come out. In my review I said that they were like Maggies, but, not the ribbon models. Well, they are still not, but, they are like Maggies with newish well broken in membranes, and not like 10 year old ones with smokers and pan fryers in the house.

I have a big head, not the biggest, but probably 10-15th percentile, so that's maybe some guide of above.

However in all positions the cups did NOT make a positive seal with my head. There were gaps, nothing gaping, but if you press down on them, you get more bass. Diffuse pads or gaps due to weak clamping force, or cups that are just too big? You can take a nail file and get them under the pads in a wide number of positions. Maybe everyone needs a custom cut pad? I'll keep checking into this.

Mar 5, 2019 at 11:42 AM Post #3,702 of 4,030
I'd have to agree that the HiFiMAN cables are underwhelming to say the least. I think it's pretty obvious that they try to cut corners to save money wherever they can.

Mar 14, 2019 at 1:30 AM Post #3,703 of 4,030
Bass tightness - the better the amp I ran them from, the tighter the bass got, approaching as good as anything I've heard from really high end stuff.

RendyG - That dent near the bottom looks bad. It may not be as impactful as it looks though, if it's not a hole. Did the previous owner say anything about it?

The waviness of the membrane is known and not an issue. The HE-1000 is the same way, if not worse. It's nearly impossible to get really thin membranes to stay straight throughout. They will all look like that after some burn in. I have an old Hex and it's the same way. Doesn't affect sound quality.

The cables - I didn't like the appearance of the stock cable, and had some questions about its sound quality, but after ABing it a bit, I'm fairly certain it sounds the same as any other cable. I still use a 3rd party balanced cable though.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2019 at 9:36 AM Post #3,704 of 4,030
Bass tightness - the better the amp I ran them from, the tighter the bass got, approaching as good as anything I've heard from really high end stuff.

RendyG - That dent near the bottom looks bad. It may not be as impactful as it looks though, if it's not a hole. Did the previous owner say anything about it?

The waviness of the membrane is known and not an issue. The HE-1000 is the same way, if not worse. It's nearly impossible to get really thin membranes to stay straight throughout. They will all look like that after some burn in. I have an old Hex and it's the same way. Doesn't affect sound quality.

The cables - I didn't like the appearance of the stock cable, and had some questions about its sound quality, but after ABing it a bit, I'm fairly certain it sounds the same as any other cable. I still use a 3rd party balanced cable though.

Thanks for your reply.
I believe the dent is okay, previous owner haven´t noticed it.
The waviness is interesting, I would imagine the membranes would be tight enough to stay flat.
Actually I´m selling my HEX now, even though I adore the sound sig, I wil try lcd2c for its more aggresive character (I listen to rock/metal a lot).
Enjoy the music guys! :)

Mar 14, 2019 at 4:33 PM Post #3,705 of 4,030
Thanks for your reply.
I believe the dent is okay, previous owner haven´t noticed it.
The waviness is interesting, I would imagine the membranes would be tight enough to stay flat.
Actually I´m selling my HEX now, even though I adore the sound sig, I wil try lcd2c for its more aggresive character (I listen to rock/metal a lot).
Enjoy the music guys! :)

Just goes to show - different tastes.. couldn't wait to move from my LCD2's and the HEX V2 is basically what I got to replace them. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back