Hifiman Edition X
Apr 7, 2019 at 3:45 PM Post #3,721 of 4,030
So is there any sonic difference between the v1 and v2 that is not related to the updated pads? I understand the aesthetic changes, but wondering if there is something besides the pads creating the sonic improvements on the v2 vs the v1?

I have an opportunity to get a demo v1 for a good price, $300 cheaper than what the v2 typically goes for used. If I do it, I'm wondering if the v2 pads on the v1 will sound virtually the same as the v2.
As I mentioned previously on this thread I have the v1 with v2 pads. I had the opportunity to compare it to a friends v2 and was unable to discern any sonic difference between the two but again this can be due to my aging hearing ability.

Apr 7, 2019 at 4:26 PM Post #3,722 of 4,030
As I mentioned previously on this thread I have the v1 with v2 pads. I had the opportunity to compare it to a friends v2 and was unable to discern any sonic difference between the two but again this can be due to my aging hearing ability.

Thanks for restating this for me! Do you recall the v2 having more adjustment in the headband for smaller heads? In other words, would the v2 allow a smaller fit than the v1 or is the extra adjustment in the v2 only good for larger heads?

Apr 7, 2019 at 10:44 PM Post #3,723 of 4,030
Thanks for restating this for me! Do you recall the v2 having more adjustment in the headband for smaller heads? In other words, would the v2 allow a smaller fit than the v1 or is the extra adjustment in the v2 only good for larger heads?
I don't recall having to make a size adjustment with the v2 as compared to the v1 so,sorry,I can't reply accurately to your question.

Apr 8, 2019 at 6:09 AM Post #3,724 of 4,030
Thank you Bagwell359!
I really appreciate you taking the time to respond with extensive and comparative info.
I also read your re-write on this thread (3/15, post 3707) which helped and covers a lot of what you say here.
At this point however i think i will wait for the Arya price to drop and will try to hear it in direct comparison to the HEX-V2, evaluate the SQ and determine if any improvement is worth the cost increase.
Thanks again for your insights!

I'd like to hear the Arya as well. The warning note is that it's supposed to be bright in the same way that the HEK V2 is (I.E. too much). The HEK SE is said to have the right signature, but, that's a pretty big price jump - until HFM undercuts it with a Rev 4, or an Arya Rev 2.and the SE hits the used market in a serious way. Also interested in the MrS E2, but there is a chance it is too much like the HEX V2 (IE subtly warm, and glosses over some details).

I've mined up some SPC (silver plated copper) that will fit the HEX V2, going to do some research on them, and decide if I want to deal with the 2.5 MM pins (they suck, 3.5 much better) for a DIY, or buy a set to test my theory - of enhanced treble. My other theory on the HEX V2 got a boost. I made a wrap for the headband to get the cups higher up on my head, and indeed did get more detail in the mids and more treble shimmer. I have a big head, and I've got them set for the minimum height, so I can only conclude that almost nobody that hasn't fussed with them has gotten the correct/max amount of treble that they can produce.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2019 at 10:37 AM Post #3,725 of 4,030
I made a wrap for the headband to get the cups higher up on my head, and indeed did get more detail in the mids and more treble shimmer. I have a big head, and I've got them set for the minimum height, so I can only conclude that almost nobody that hasn't fussed with them has gotten the correct/max amount of treble that they can produce.

I haven't tried the v2, but this is a major issue for me on the v1. Even at the smallest setting, the cups hang too low with the top of the pads basically resting on the top of my ears. One thing that 100% fixes this is using a ZMF pilot pad around the headband strap. The strap is a bit too wide to fully engage the velcro along the entire length, but it is narrow enough on the sides to velcro and secure the pilot pat adequately. With the pilot pad, the HEX fits perfectly on my smallish head. It is a bit of a head scratcher as to why Hifiman chose to make the sizing of these cans so large. I can't imagine there is anyone out there that requires the highest headband setting on these.

Apr 8, 2019 at 12:19 PM Post #3,726 of 4,030
I like the HEXV2 a lot, but keep going back to my LCD2C for some excitement. LCD2C is better for EDM and modern music, HEXV2 is better with live music, vocals and live instruments. HEXV2 gives you a concert experience with its spaciousness, LCD2C gives you a more focused music. Both are ok with other genres too, but that comes with some compromises.
Live music, vocals and orchestra won't sound as spacious and natural as they can on the LCD2C, and the HEXV2 with EDM won't give you Audeze's ultimate bass punch and clarity. They both come pretty close, but not quite where the other one's strengths are.

After auditioning eight excellent headphones this weekend I have realised until I can afford the Empyrean (perfect headphones for me) I have to live with imperfections.

HEXV2:

Pros - spacious, natural, lifelike sound
- airy mids and treble
- non-fatiguing, very smooth
Cons - poor build quality for the price
- 1 year non-transferable warranty
- sometimes too smooth and diffuse

LCD2C:

Pros - bass is pretty much as good as it gets at any price point
- solid build quality
- 3 years transferable warranty
- energetic, focused, punchy sound but still smooth and easy on the ears

Cons - mids and treble are not as airy and natural as on the HEXV2
- smaller soundstage compared to the HiFIMan
- weight (for some)

Apr 8, 2019 at 7:35 PM Post #3,727 of 4,030
I like the HEXV2 a lot, but keep going back to my LCD2C for some excitement. LCD2C is better for EDM and modern music, HEXV2 is better with live music, vocals and live instruments. HEXV2 gives you a concert experience with its spaciousness, LCD2C gives you a more focused music. Both are ok with other genres too, but that comes with some compromises.
Live music, vocals and orchestra won't sound as spacious and natural as they can on the LCD2C, and the HEXV2 with EDM won't give you Audeze's ultimate bass punch and clarity. They both come pretty close, but not quite where the other one's strengths are.

After auditioning eight excellent headphones this weekend I have realised until I can afford the Empyrean (perfect headphones for me) I have to live with imperfections.

HEXV2:

- airy mids and treble

LCD2C:

- solid build quality

- weight (for some)
Yes, I pretty much agree on the comparison. For me it’s my HEX vs LCD2 CB. I think they are so opposite in sound I don’t even compare them except when I try to let someone else know of their differences so they can determine which sound signature they like best. They are both more “fun” headphones than extremely detailed and analytical. Lately I tend to gravitate more towards the HEX, most likely because of the weight and comfort.

Apr 9, 2019 at 7:37 AM Post #3,728 of 4,030

HEXV2:

- airy mids and treble

LCD2C:

- solid build quality

- weight (for some)

It's not worth getting into preferences. But the build quality argument vs the HEX V2 v cost is interesting. At $1799 that might make sense, then again you have the E2 which is light and seems 'weak'. At $1200 you have lots of choices, then at $712 which is what I paid used, they are the most comfortable HFM I've ever worn, and the gimbel seems fine, and at that light a weight, how much metal can one have? The LCD2C might be built like a brick outhouse, but its heavy as one, and the glued down pads is not a good feature IMO. Can't complain about the other weaknesses you mention re: HEX.

Apr 9, 2019 at 8:02 AM Post #3,729 of 4,030
It's not worth getting into preferences. But the build quality argument vs the HEX V2 v cost is interesting. At $1799 that might make sense, then again you have the E2 which is light and seems 'weak'. At $1200 you have lots of choices, then at $712 which is what I paid used, they are the most comfortable HFM I've ever worn, and the gimbel seems fine, and at that light a weight, how much metal can one have? The LCD2C might be built like a brick outhouse, but its heavy as one, and the glued down pads is not a good feature IMO. Can't complain about the other weaknesses you mention re: HEX.
Poor build quality at MSRP which is $1300 these days. At $7-800 which is the current secondhand market price I'd say build quality is 'acceptable' but still below average.

Apr 9, 2019 at 5:28 PM Post #3,730 of 4,030
Poor build quality at MSRP which is $1300 these days. At $7-800 which is the current secondhand market price I'd say build quality is 'acceptable' but still below average.

Actually according to HFM they are not sold anymore, must be leftover stock. I like mine, but I wouldn't spend $1299 on a new pair, but, I'm cheap.

The Ananda is built to lesser standards and don't fit as many head shapes. They cut those to $879 I believe - which I predicted about six months ago - not much of a feat given HFM's pricing behavior the past 2.5 years.

I do think HFM has never thought about the impact of the non driver portions of the cans - the sound being the biggest issue to me (HE-500 and HE-6 are among the most modded cans ever - because the driver is so good), flimsy or lesser quality fitting - not the best thing, but I haven't had a problem with my collection of HFM's.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2019 at 7:08 PM Post #3,731 of 4,030
Ha, rigged up a better way to get the cans up higher - about 1/3" more. Plenty of treble there. Even sounded a bit edgy when the VAC went down to 116 - as do all of them. No need to experiment with silver cable now - huzza. The cohesion is greater now. Still won't play loud and dynamic contrast not like the HE-6.

I'd bet HFM Marketing and R&D didn't try to figure out how to set these to sound the best. HFM runs their business in a way I don't recommend, but, no doubt there are gems mixed in with coal.

If you think they lack sparkle and life try them again lifted up 1"+ until you get the treble to come through. They clearly belong in the high end forum. Not sure if hearing the Arya or E2 is such a priority now. Overall these are better than an unmodified HE-6, which is no cheap compliment.

Apr 12, 2019 at 8:08 PM Post #3,732 of 4,030
If you think they lack sparkle and life try them again lifted up 1"+ until you get the treble to come through. They clearly belong in the high end forum. Not sure if hearing the Arya or E2 is such a priority now. Overall these are better than an unmodified HE-6, which is no cheap compliment.

I couldn't agree more! I actually almost returned my pair until I tried raising them up higher on my ears using a ZMF pilot pad around the strap. With this, they no longer feel like they are resting on my ears, are more secure and comfortable, and best part is, they sound much more balanced!

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2019 at 3:58 PM Post #3,733 of 4,030
I do think HFM has never thought about the impact of the non driver portions of the cans - the sound being the biggest issue to me (HE-500 and HE-6 are among the most modded cans ever - because the driver is so good), flimsy or lesser quality fitting - not the best thing, but I haven't had a problem with my collection of HFM's.
That's how I see HFM as well. Drivers and how it sounds, and beyond that I don't see much. Like design for example, I know it's really lacking. That tells a bit about what I find most important. The sound. I could care less about looks. Like ZMF woods or whatever, I could care less about how they've built the wood. No placebo beyond my ears. lol.

The difference between MrSpeakers drivers and HFMs is that HFM drivers are actually open, and open sounding. I do think HFM knows how to build the best sounding ortho drivers.

Last edited:
May 31, 2019 at 9:22 PM Post #3,734 of 4,030
I have owned my HEX V2 for just over 2 months and recently the connector on my right ear cup is causing the sound to cut in and out on the right side which is worse when I move my head or gently press the cable in the connector. I have sent it back to where I got it from and explained I tried switching the cable over to see if it was the cable or connector and that even the left side cable affected the right ear cup the same way. I got a call back later from an employee who said she thinks it is a cable problem and has contacted hifiman to see about a replacement, I then asked her if she tried switching the cable as I did and told her to and she said she didn't and will try again and ring me back. No phone call and she's off for a long weekend and the store say they can't do anything till she comes back. I spend $1300 NZ on these and I'm pissed off at hifiman and this store for such poor quality. Hifiman for the product and this store for poor service. I wonder if I had of went to hifiman directly Would it be easier?

Last edited:
May 31, 2019 at 10:37 PM Post #3,735 of 4,030
I have owned my HEX V2 for just over 2 months and recently the connector on my right ear cup is causing the sound to cut in and out on the right side which is worse when I move my head or gently press the cable in the connector. I have sent it back to where I got it from and explained I tried switching the cable over to see if it was the cable or connector and that even the left side cable affected the right ear cup the same way. I got a call back later from an employee who said she thinks it is a cable problem and has contacted hifiman to see about a replacement, I then asked her if she tried switching the cable as I did and told her to and she said she didn't and will try again and ring me back. No phone call and she's off for a long weekend and the store say they can't do anything till she comes back. I spend $1300 NZ on these and I'm pissed off at hifiman and this store for such poor quality. Hifiman for the product and this store for poor service. I wonder if I had of went to hifiman directly Would it be easier?

let me guess, AVWorld lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back