Hifiman Edition X
May 31, 2019 at 11:11 PM Post #3,736 of 4,030
let me guess, AVWorld lol

No, a local store in Christchurch. Most of the staff have been awesome down which is why I was a bit shocked. When I tried calling today a guy just said he couldn't do anything as the employee I was dealing with yesterday is not in today and to call back Monday though he doesn't know if she is working then either and that was it. I am considering get the massdrop edition XX as a backup incase the HEX V2 kicks the bucket down the line. The HEX V2 are like Gold to me as I have never heard a headphone output such amazing sound for the price.

May 31, 2019 at 11:17 PM Post #3,737 of 4,030
No, a local store in Christchurch. Most of the staff have been awesome down which is why I was a bit shocked. When I tried calling today a guy just said he couldn't do anything as the employee I was dealing with yesterday is not in today and to call back Monday though he doesn't know if she is working then either and that was it. I am considering get the massdrop edition XX as a backup incase the HEX V2 kicks the bucket down the line. The HEX V2 are like Gold to me as I have never heard a headphone output such amazing sound for the price.

oh listening post? i like their service alot more

will try HEX V2 if i have the chance..

skeptical about HFM quality tho

May 31, 2019 at 11:37 PM Post #3,738 of 4,030
oh listening post? i like their service alot more

will try HEX V2 if i have the chance..

skeptical about HFM quality tho

Yea, i have had quite a few Hifiman now, HE 400S, 400i, 4XX, Sundara and now these but the only issue previously i had was with earpads peeling off however Hifiman support were awesome enough to send me spare ones for free. Apart from that i have never had an issue and now i do it's with one of their more expensive products lol. Definitely try the HEX V2, for me it combines the very best I've heard in all Hifiman products

Jun 3, 2019 at 4:33 AM Post #3,739 of 4,030
I have owned my HEX V2 for just over 2 months and recently the connector on my right ear cup is causing the sound to cut in and out on the right side which is worse when I move my head or gently press the cable in the connector. I have sent it back to where I got it from and explained I tried switching the cable over to see if it was the cable or connector and that even the left side cable affected the right ear cup the same way. I got a call back later from an employee who said she thinks it is a cable problem and has contacted hifiman to see about a replacement, I then asked her if she tried switching the cable as I did and told her to and she said she didn't and will try again and ring me back. No phone call and she's off for a long weekend and the store say they can't do anything till she comes back. I spend $1300 NZ on these and I'm pissed off at hifiman and this store for such poor quality. Hifiman for the product and this store for poor service. I wonder if I had of went to hifiman directly Would it be easier?
Hi there,

We are sorry to hear that. can you please email us at customerservice@hifiman.com with your purchase receipt and serial number so that we can look into what’s happened and to see how we can help?

Thank you!

April

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com
Jun 14, 2019 at 1:55 PM Post #3,740 of 4,030
Paddy, mine happened the same thing. It was the connector inside the cup. Fix it on a shop a know, but the build quality is crap. Although I love the hifiman sound, this will be my last one.

Jun 16, 2019 at 8:13 PM Post #3,741 of 4,030
Maybe they changed the tuning. I wouldn't describe HEXv2 sound as bright presentation. about the headband design I much prefer the rotating ones on the HEX.

Check & check..

Hex headband much better than Ananda/Sundara.

HEX v2 is not bright.

Jun 16, 2019 at 8:57 PM Post #3,742 of 4,030
I am eager to have this. There is one thing that prevented me from buying the edition x: too many people claimed sundara is better than the edition x.
I guess Ananda adopted the new thin diaphragm which is adopted to Sundara as well. I hope Ananda is a significant step up from sundara.
@rutter, I don't think that people on this forum (or those who use audio gear) will ever agree on burn in in our lifetime, but that doesn't matter. If you hear an improvement in the HEX over time, that's great. I also heard an improvement in the HEX over time, so that's good enough for me.

Magnepan was recommending long break ins on the various Maggies in the 70's. Most crossover caps of audiophile note claim break-in periods. Braun 710's and 810's of the 70's would have a big improvement in the bass after break-in. AKG 240's in the late 70's and 80's would talk about break-in. Lg Advents (walnut or vinyl) would start with gummy bass, and it would be some time before that transient snap would get going.

All of these items are physical: transducers move, movements that 'seats' two items vis a vis each other take time to get the full seating.

Jun 18, 2019 at 2:12 PM Post #3,743 of 4,030
Enjoying my nearly new Edition X V2 as I type. Far to early to say anything besides I know that I am going to be quite happy having this headphone in my collection. I am currently driving it from my FiiO Q5 via the 3.5 input of the AM3D amp module. In a few days I should be able to use the 4.4mm balanced input as I have a cable inbound. I just want the additional power as I have the Q5 currently at almost full (low gain mind you). So despite all of the talk, these are not super easy to drive, but they are not difficult either. So far really enjoy what I'm hearing, female vocals so far sound extra nice.

Jun 18, 2019 at 3:53 PM Post #3,744 of 4,030
Enjoying my nearly new Edition X V2 as I type. Far to early to say anything besides I know that I am going to be quite happy having this headphone in my collection. I am currently driving it from my FiiO Q5 via the 3.5 input of the AM3D amp module. In a few days I should be able to use the 4.4mm balanced input as I have a cable inbound. I just want the additional power as I have the Q5 currently at almost full (low gain mind you). So despite all of the talk, these are not super easy to drive, but they are not difficult either. So far really enjoy what I'm hearing, female vocals so far sound extra nice.

Using the exact same setup! Love this :)

Jun 18, 2019 at 5:06 PM Post #3,745 of 4,030
Using the exact same setup! Love this :)
Sweet. I'm a huge fan of the Q5. I can drive headphones right from the speaker terminals of my NAD M3, which is wonderful using the Q5 as a DAC, but frankly I find the AM3D and the AM3E absolutely excellent and very capable. So do you use the 4.4mm with your HEXV2? Off to class (returned to university at 50).

Jun 18, 2019 at 5:08 PM Post #3,746 of 4,030
Sweet. I'm a huge fan of the Q5. I can drive headphones right from the speaker terminals of my NAD M3, which is wonderful using the Q5 as a DAC, but frankly I find the AM3D and the AM3E absolutely excellent and very capable. So do you use the 4.4mm with your HEXV2? Off to class (returned to university at 50).

I definitely do, plenty of power and love the Q5 to death.

I actually have all 2.5mm cables, but bought a modular cable from massdrop that provided a 4.4 to 2.5mm adaptor. Works like a charm!

And that’s awesome by the way man! Good luck with your school endeavors.

Jun 18, 2019 at 5:11 PM Post #3,747 of 4,030
I definitely do, plenty of power and love the Q5 to death.

I actually have all 2.5mm cables, but bought a modular cable from massdrop that provided a 4.4 to 2.5mm adaptor. Works like a charm!
Yes, I have an HD700 (much better than you would think with some modest equalizing) and for that and my Pioneer Monitor 5 I have 2.5mm balanced cables so added the FiiO BL-44 adapter. Yes the Q5 is totally the real deal. I don't see myself ever needing or wanting big desktop devices moving forward. Clearly companies like FiiO and iFi have the skills to produce killer small footprint devices so why pay for big heavy cases and oversized circuit boards and all those long traces?

Jun 20, 2019 at 10:22 AM Post #3,748 of 4,030
So glad that I went after the Edition X V2, great decision. Very, very glad to add this wonderful headphone into my collection. It is quite special.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2019 at 12:08 PM Post #3,749 of 4,030
So I am noticing a few very intriguing things. For one, the separation and layering is so good that it almost feels like I imagine it would sound like in mastering where the engineers have dialed in the final mix, but you still hear the individual tracks with more clarity. Saying that, there is an intoxicating softness to everything, not the same thing as smeared detail by any stretch of the imagination. I suspect the transient response for both attack and decay are just slightly rounded which allows the edges to be smoothed, but not so much so that the essences are lost, simply presented with a sweet form of clarity. Likely similar to what the engineers at Sennheiser were going for with the infamous HD650, but made possible with the characteristics that a planar design can bring to the table that when a dynamic design attempts runs into some fundamental barriers.

Yes, the Edition X V2 has a soft presentation, but it is truly lovely and very engaging, a different interpretation of what dynamic can mean. I'm sold.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2019 at 12:41 PM Post #3,750 of 4,030
So I am noticing a few very intriguing things. For one, the separation and layering is so good that it almost feels like I imagine it would sound like in mastering where the engineers have dialed in the final mix, but you still hear the individual tracks with more clarity. Saying that, there is an intoxicating softness to everything, not the same thing as smeared detail by any stretch of the imagination. I suspect the transient response for both attack and decay are just slightly rounded which allows the edges to be smoothed, but not so much so that the essences are lost, simply presented with a sweet form of clarity. Likely similar to what the engineers at Sennheiser were going for with the infamous HD650, but made possible with the characteristics that a planar design can bring to the table that when a dynamic design attempts runs into some fundamental barriers.

Yes, the Edition X V2 has a soft presentation, but it is truly lovely and very engaging, a different interpretation of what dynamic can mean. I'm sold.

Nice write up! Completely agree with you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back