Hifiman Edition X
Mar 14, 2019 at 10:54 PM Post #3,706 of 4,030
Just to follow up, even with the the headphones "tucked in" they hang too low on my fairly big head. I just rapped up a bit of fabric on stuck in on my head, and got them to center over my ear so the treble really got in just right. Even a 1/4" lower or higher and the 'ssssh' highs fade and the image breaks down. Could be my can, but check it out if you get a chance.

EDIT: 9/26/19: Dekoni Nuggets worked perfectly and more comfortably.

In addition at around the time of the first note I mused about getting a silver cable and indeed it helped in adding additional detail and a bit more sparkle - but as someone that hates cans with too much treble, the HEX v2 w/ these two changes do not do that, I estimated before that the high end overall was about 1.5 db light on the treble. I'd say that was cut roughly in half with these changes.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2019 at 8:36 PM Post #3,707 of 4,030
Major rewrite of prior review:

Using:

* 5' Artic Cable Cardas 24 ga. XLR cable, not stock
* Gumby
* Ragnarok

OK, bought a used V2 and have had at it for 125+ hours now. I'm struck by the similarity by how they remind me of Maggie's of the 1980-2010 time frame:

Maggie MG-II circa 1980, Maggie 1.5 circa 1998

At first they seemed shy in the top octave and the imaging wasn't that great. What - at this price? I played around with the positions of the cans and found several that worked. The best for me was with some fabric tucked under the headband to get the cans a bit higher to give me the most treble at my ear which is also the spot they give the best imaging - which is now rectangular and somewhat in front of the head, and very tall, and large (no not 800S large, but big). I also like to get the pads to push the backs of my ear lobes forward a smidge.

Typical orthos. Lots of microdynamics. They don't do eye lid closing bass slam or a quick rise in volume like say the HE-6 (in house on a loan from another Head-Fi friend). I find that they can play pretty loud - say a bass track with just bass. But full scale music? if they get too loud the soundstage and images in start to collapse (bleed, lose depth, and they sound mildly distressed). Like high volume? Not the right can.

I've had the HEX V2, HE-6 (unmod), and HE-500 (lots of mods) in constant rotation for weeks now.

The HE-500 cannot keep up, because of my mods the soundstage is the widest of the 3, in every other way - 3rd place, some close finishes, more well out of the money. If you could get these at $400 then that's a good deal (but 4-7 years old). You can hear the ortho overhang and thickness. But being 'sweet' and speaker like it's won over an army of fans through the years - like me - my #1 can until a month ago.

The HE-6 has that concentrated way of punching the sound out at you (esp in the bass). Slower than the HEX V2, but with a wonderful menacing texture. Soundstage isn't very tall, but it is wide. If modded like my HE-500, they would be even wider and taller. Definition that beats both of the others, but those highs can sizzle. If you could find a set of LFF modded in great shape - $1500? In stock - $900? Worth it - yeah but potentially 8-9 years old.

The HEX V2 takes patience to figure out. Ear positioning. Volume restrictions. Good bass, but not like an assault. Clear pure mids. Even with the ear positions maxed, they do 'ahhh', 'swish', another other softer treble sounds, but, they do not kick out any great amount of the hard 'sssssh' sound. Easy on the ear (warm like HE-50's but not with the cruft), has me thinking of silver or spc cables and EQ's to see if I can get the sound flatter. When you drop the concerns about set-up and volume - and just listen - they really sound very very good and soothing. As I said before magic late night or stress reduction cans. But outside of the possible missing 'sssssh' sound very uncolored and yet possessing texture and body too - more then the HEK's.

The V2 is very good on jazz, classical, and chamber music of all stripes. You can slide annoying recordings by it and it'll pretty them up, but have no fear when you play Prokofiev, Krall, or Dead Can Dance, it will let the truth out w/o any obvious editing - except that dynamic range constriction. I've always had that ability to hear the crescendos even when foreshortened, so I concentrate on overtones, page turning, soundstage size and depth, and decay and color and other recorded errata, but some find this missing element of dynamic range constriction to be a deadly sin.

The V2 is very coherent, more than the other two. If you call big variations in the frequency "fun", than this can is not FUN. Bass comes from a diffuse area, and moves lots of air maybe as much as the HE-6, but since its broader the effect of a hard smack you get from the HE-6 isn't there. If you listen to a stand up bass in a jazz venue it's both diffuse and has some directional quality. Drums, in particular roto toms or snares have that distinct attack thwack, mostly you get that with the V2, but sometimes it errs on the side of more diffuse.

Whoever said 5-6 weeks ago that the V2 has a "V" sound with pumped up bass and treble must be listening to a very strange sample. Bass is well flatter than a HE-500, there is the usual HFM reticence in the 2-4.5k area, and they have a bit of that rise at 8-10K that HFM have, but less than any other version of HFM I've heard (HE-400 (3 versions), HE-500, HE-6, HE-5LE, Sundara, Ananda and HE-560) The treble above that is very civilized and clean, perhaps a bit reticent or soft.

Today I had on Durutti Column "Guitar and Other Machines", Brahms Piano Concertos, Copeland "Appalacian Spring", Cowboy Junkies "Whites off Earth Now", and about 4 more, and the HE-500 remained unused, and the HE-6 lost more shoot outs than it won. Whoa. Two weeks ago I wouldn't have believed that.

The V2's sound is more like an inverted U, with 3/4 of the legs cut off and the remainder pressed down towards flat, with a bit pushed down for the 2.5-5k reticence. That's a slightly mid-centric polite picture curve - and so it is.

If you take care in set-up, consider after market cables (the HFM ones are not up to the cans in any way), and can deal with the volume limitations and dynamic contrast limitations, then these @ about $675-725 used are something to consider. If you want pin point detail like a monitor with ribbon tweeters or an 800S - no, turn away.

They will play on a DAP, but I've tried 4 (all average or below quality) and they sounded like chick pea puree on them, I recommend having an amp for them.

These are by far the most comfortable HFM's I've ever worn, the double swivel metal headband seems like it works great on all but smallish heads. Build quality is very nice. Included cables as I said are not good. Box is pretty nice. At $1800, not a good deal. Decent new at $1200, but, must own used at the $700 level. Price pressure from used Ananda, HE-6se, MD XX, and eventually the Arya will continue to push the HEX V2's down, maybe to under $500 by 9/20.

Note: Be extra careful if you have cans that need a lot of juice, if you switch cans and forget to turn your volume way down/off you could damage them since they are so efficient.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2019 at 9:44 PM Post #3,708 of 4,030
Thanks for sharing your impression! I have a pair of HEX V1s with V2 pads and I love using them as relaxation cans or for long listening sessions.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2019 at 9:45 PM Post #3,709 of 4,030
On another note, I would be interested in any current cable upgrade recommendations!

Mar 16, 2019 at 2:54 PM Post #3,710 of 4,030
On another note, I would be interested in any current cable upgrade recommendations!

Me too - in particular pure silver or silver plated OFC.

Mar 21, 2019 at 2:25 PM Post #3,711 of 4,030
Early impressions after a few days with my HEXV2 comparing it to my LCD2C:

This level of build quality at this price point is a bit disappointing. So much plastic! The LCD2C at half the price has a much better build, feels twice as durable and higher quality. This is true for the earpads too.

Talking about price, the LCD2C is £600 in the UK, £800 on the continent (Europe). Around £600 in the USA ($800). HEXV2 price has just dropped from £1300 to £1090. The fazor LCD2 is £900. They are actually not that far from each other, we could say almost the same category (£900/£1090). That said, with a little luck (at least in the UK) you can get the LCD2C just over £500 which is half the price of the new price of the HEXV2. This makes it the best bargain under £1000 IMO since the performance is pretty much on level with the around £1000 headphones, at least with proper amping.

The light weight of the HEXV2 is like a sip of fresh water in the desert after Audeze. I got used to the weight of the LCD2C but a good sounding and relatively light weight headphone feels like a relief.

I don't understand why HEXV2 cups rotate endlessly. It is more annoying than comfortable.

It takes some time to get familiar with the enormous earpads on the HEXV2. These are definitely not suited for people with smaller heads. It takes some time to find the right position, but they feel very light on the head. I tried to increase clamping force a little bit as the headphones were almost falling off my head at first. I prefer the clamping force and pads on the Audeze. That is just a better feeling. 400g vs. 550g however is a big difference and for this reason HEXV2 wins on comfort hands down.

Comparing the sound is interesting, as both of these headphones are considered neutral(ish) but dark/warm/smooth. This is true in general, but they are still very different. In general the HEXV2 sounds more natural and life-like, but the LCD2C has more slam, punch and energy.

First of all I was surprised that both headphones pretty much need the same volume on my amp. After reading everywhere how efficient the HEXV2 is I didn't expect this. (HEXV2 25Ω, 103dB, LCD2C 70Ω, 101dB) Impedance obviously doesn't matter as much as sensitivity.

My second surprise was how well the HEXV2 scales with better gear. Out of my phone on max volume they were a bit 'meh' to be honest. With my little Spectra portable DAC it was slightly better, but out of Qutest&CMA600i they really opened up and started to show what they can offer, especially in balanced mode.

The first thing that struck me with the HEXV2 was the smoothness of the sound. It is quite dark and warm, very relaxed and extremely smooooth. At the same time it is a very natural, life-like sound. The perfect headphones for long term listening.

Compared to the LCD2C the sound is thicker with a better texture. The HEXV2 sounds just as big if not bigger than the Audeze but it is a much softer sound with less impact.

My biggest worry was that I am going to miss the bass from Audeze which is actually true to some extent. I have no complaint about bass extension on the HEXV2, that is spot on. Bass is also plenty when the recording calls for it. In fact the HEXV2 has just a hint more of mid-bass and equally good sub-bass quantity. Audeze bass however is a bit cleaner and tighter and definitely punchier. I miss these qualities from the Audeze. That said, HEXV2 bass is actually also very satisfying. Another member told me, to him LCD2C sounds like good shelf-speakers while the HEXV2 sounds like full sized floor speakers. Now I get what he meant. It is true not just for the bass performance but for the whole sound. HEXV2 sounds more realistic and vast, airy. Bass is in the air, part of the texture of the music. On the LCD2C however you get a little better bass clarity and definitely more energy, slam and impact. HEXV2 bass is not as clean and punchy as it is on the 2C, but it is almost as good. It fills up the 'room', it is everywhere. The bass performance is not necessarily worse or better, but different.

Mids are more natural and life-like on the HEXV2 but the LCD2C sounds a bit cleaner again. That said the thinner and less life-like mids (vocals) on the Audeze can't win compared to the HEXV2's lush naturalness. Also the upper mids have a bit more air on the HEX. Again, the mid performance is very 'speaker-like' on the HEX, it is full, with a thick texture. The LCD2C is more precise and cleaner but this is a clear win for the HEXV2.

Many people dislike the infamous treble roll off on Audeze headphones. I quite like it as I am treble sensitive. Everyone always says Audeze has a laid-back treble. Well, that might be true in general, but not in this comparison. HEXV2 treble is again buttery smooth, warm and lush. It just sounds more natural and lifelike. LCD2C treble in comparison is a bit thin, but again more precise and cleaner with definitely more energy and sparkle if you can talk about sparkle in case of Audeze.

HEXV2 treble somewhat reminds me to the NightHawk's treble. It is not as dark and warm and blunt as the NightHawk's treble can be, but it is very far from being bright and crisp. Nothing is really lacking, but details come through in a less shiny and more natural way. Very relaxing and non-fatiguing that's for sure. I can't really imagine HD800 fans listening to the HEX and enjoying it.

Imaging is fine and there is a good natural space that we can call soundstage. It is definitely wider and airier than the LCD2C but the Audeze headphone has more depth and 3D-like space even though this space feels smaller. (Remember, I am using Qutest+600i in balanced mode here. I find both headphone poor out of phones or cheap DAPs.)

Conclusion for now:

I am not very happy with the build quality of the HEXV2 but I can live with it. I am very happy with the lighter weight and the comfort due to this.

It is extremely hard for me to decide which headphone is ‘better’. Even just which headphone is better for me? The HEXV2 is very laid back, very relaxing and very smooth with a satisfying natural lifelikeness and airy spaciousness. It is indeed a bit like listening to full sized speakers.

The LCD2C on the other hand is often better with electronic music for that extra energy and punch. The HEXV2 does have good bass, but delivers it in a completely different manner. If I gave 5 to the LCD2C on bass, the HEXV2 would be 4.6, and the Focal Clear 4.2.

Overall I find the HEXV2 more pleasing to my ears 80% of the time, it is almost like a relaxing massage while it sounds just as big as Audeze. I am not sure whether the 2C's extra energy, punch and clarity are appealing enough versus this more natural, thick texture and pleasantly relaxed approach of the HEXV2.

This is where I stand after four days, I need more time for a more accurate evaluation and decision since I probably won't keep both of these headphones. And, to complicate things I am probably auditioning the ZMF Aeolus very soon.

The fact for now is I tend to reach more for the HEXV2 as it is not just easier on my ears but easier on my head/neck too.

PS

I am using a SE/BAL adapter at the moment but I might buy a proper 4pin cable for the HEXV2 if I keep it. Any inexpensive suggestions in the UK (under £100) are welcome. I only found this so far.

Also, this relatively positive experience with the HEXV2 made me wonder about the Arya. Would the Arya be a bit more energetic and detailed without losing much on the bass heft of the HEXV2?

Mar 21, 2019 at 8:58 PM Post #3,712 of 4,030
List price is one thing, used is another. Both of these cans can be bought in the US for about the same price - used.

If your amp puts out the same for SE and xlr, than a change won't matter much. on my amp it does matter.

I'm not quite sure I understand your comment about the headband of the HEX V2. I find it well designed and comfortable and not at all tweaky.

I agree with your judgements on sound. The LCD2 2C produces more bass, but has more reticent upper mids and top 1/2 octave - I returned mine after 4 days. And it's like wearing a black hole on your head in terms of mass.

I lent out my HEX V2 last Saturday and I can't wait to get them back.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2019 at 2:15 PM Post #3,714 of 4,030
I was wondering if the HEX massdrop are as good as the HEX V2? I've heard mixed reviews. Thinking of picking them up when they drop next as a back up pair but only if they hold up
From what I have heard the massdrop version is not even close to the original HEXV2.

On another note.
My new/mint/secondhand HEXV2 keeps surprising me.
One thing is the unexpected scalability. Everywhere you can read these headphones are so efficient, they were made for mobile phones. Well, that is just not very true in real life. I tried them out of my phone and even though I reached the preferred volume by maxing out the phone (Moto X4), the sound quality was well, let's just say left some things to desire for. It sounded veiled, blunt, not clear at all, completely lacked dynamism, etc.

Out of my Qutest/CMA600i combo with a nice balanced cable the story is completely different. The XV2 has pretty much opened a new world for me. After my very much liked LCD2C it literally feels like an opening. The LCD2C is fun but compared to the Edition XV2 it feels like music in a cave. Swapping for the XV2 is like exiting the cave and arriving to the open ocean. Such a freedom and relief.

LCD2C is like listening to good, punchy, bassy headphones. Listening to the XV2 is like listening to live music. Like being on a concert: an open air festival with great speakers. Nicely reproduced music through headphones versus live performance. What would you choose?

Fun part:
I used Audeze's Reveal plug in with my LCD2C. This added some bass, smoothed out the overall picture and took the edge off the treble peaks on the 2C. The effect is very subtle, but still perceivable. I didn't realise I have got the Reveal plug in on with the XV2 too. Initially I found the XV2 a bit warm and not that detailed, also the mids were a bit weird and uneven. Well, I am happy to report that was the LCD2C Reveal plug in preset on the XV2. It still added some extra bass, but smoothed out the treble too much and mixed up the mids on the X2. Upper mids were pronounced while lower mids were surpassed. Still, the effect was subtle but enough to leave a weird feeling behind.

After switching the Reveal plug in off, the XV2 is more neutral, more spacious, more detailed and the mids are now well-balanced. I only miss that tiny bit of extra bass. The improvement however is obvious and I definitely like it.

(Using the LCD-X Reveal plug-in however is quite interesting on the XV2, quite good actually if someone wants more bass and smoother treble.)

I hate to admit, the XV2 is better than the LCD2C in almost everything except bass impact. This lifelike, spacious sound just kills the closed-in, headphone-like experience of the 2C.
There is a good chance my 2C's are going up for sale in a couple of weeks.

I preferred the LCD2C to the Aeon Flow closed and opened, also to the Focal Clear. AFC was just too boring and closed-in, AFO was too mid-bassy and closed-in. Clear was impressive at first but then too aggressive to live with. Now the HEXV2 seem to send the 2C to retirement.

On the 6th April I am going to audition most of the ZMF line, including Aeolus. Hopefully I'll hear Ether2 and the Empyrian too. (I wouldn't be able to pay retail price for the two latter, but you never know what secondhand market brings.)

My only HiFiMan I owned was the 400s which I really hated due to complete lack of bass.
I still don't like the build quality and the very poor, non-transferable 1 year warranty on the XV2. Most headphone manufacturers offer 3-5 years if not lifetime warranty these days, at least on the drivers.
Still, I am happy to risk and live with the relatively poor build quality due to the awesome sound the XV2 offers.

I read somewhere, Mr Fang, the designer of HiFiMan headphones for the question why his headphones cost so much answered: "because they sound good". While this confidence is admirable as his higher-end headphones do indeed sound phenomenally, IMO he could pay some respect to his customers by higher quality building materials and a better and longer warranty service.

That said, I am extremely happy with my XV2. Without the Reveal plug-in the clarity I was missing is definitely there. It is less warm, more neutral. The spaciousness, life-likeness is simply exceptional. Bass is just a tad behind Audeze but everything else is so good, I just can't go back to Audeze.

The treble is definitely the most my sensitive ears can bear, so Ananda is definitely not for me. Probably HEK2 would be too much too, at least according to the Ananda/Arya/HEXV2 threads on Head-Fi what I read.

I am very happy with the HEXV2 out of my system. (I still think, out of a random portable system they do sound poor.) I consider the HEXV2 a surprisingly pleasant and enjoyable headphone which has overthrown my recent favourite the LCD2C. Made me really curious to try the Arya.

I can't wait to see (hear) how the Aeolus or even the Ether2 or Empyrian sound compared to this.

Anyway, IMO a secondhand HEXV2 is the best audio bargain these days.

Such happy times we live in! :)

IMG_20190329_160728738 (1).jpg

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2019 at 7:47 PM Post #3,715 of 4,030
I was wondering if the HEX massdrop are as good as the HEX V2? I've heard mixed reviews. Thinking of picking them up when they drop next as a back up pair but only if they hold up

I'd say that the MD's are getting slammed from most quarters. Haven't heard them myself, can't get over the mating of the old HE-400 headband with the 'new' cups. Yuck.

Mar 31, 2019 at 7:54 PM Post #3,716 of 4,030
From what I have heard the massdrop version is not even close to the original HEXV2.

On another note.
My new/mint/secondhand HEXV2 keeps surprising me.
One thing is the unexpected scalability. Everywhere you can read these headphones are so efficient, they were made for mobile phones. Well, that is just not very true in real life. I tried them out of my phone and even though I reached the preferred volume by maxing out the phone (Moto X4), the sound quality was well, let's just say left some things to desire for. It sounded veiled, blunt, not clear at all, completely lacked dynamism, etc.

Out of my Qutest/CMA600i combo with a nice balanced cable the story is completely different. The XV2 has pretty much opened a new world for me. After my very much liked LCD2C it literally feels like an opening. The LCD2C is fun but compared to the Edition XV2 it feels like music in a cave. Swapping for the XV2 is like exiting the cave and arriving to the open ocean. Such a freedom and relief.

LCD2C is like listening to good, punchy, bassy headphones. Listening to the XV2 is like listening to live music. Like being on a concert: an open air festival with great speakers. Nicely reproduced music through headphones versus live performance. What would you choose?

Fun part:
I used Audeze's Reveal plug in with my LCD2C. This added some bass, smoothed out the overall picture and took the edge off the treble peaks on the 2C. The effect is very subtle, but still perceivable. I didn't realise I have got the Reveal plug in on with the XV2 too. Initially I found the XV2 a bit warm and not that detailed, also the mids were a bit weird and uneven. Well, I am happy to report that was the LCD2C Reveal plug in preset on the XV2. It still added some extra bass, but smoothed out the treble too much and mixed up the mids on the X2. Upper mids were pronounced while lower mids were surpassed. Still, the effect was subtle but enough to leave a weird feeling behind.

After switching the Reveal plug in off, the XV2 is more neutral, more spacious, more detailed and the mids are now well-balanced. I only miss that tiny bit of extra bass. The improvement however is obvious and I definitely like it.

(Using the LCD-X Reveal plug-in however is quite interesting on the XV2, quite good actually if someone wants more bass and smoother treble.)

I hate to admit, the XV2 is better than the LCD2C in almost everything except bass impact. This lifelike, spacious sound just kills the closed-in, headphone-like experience of the 2C.
There is a good chance my 2C's are going up for sale in a couple of weeks.

I preferred the LCD2C to the Aeon Flow closed and opened, also to the Focal Clear. AFC was just too boring and closed-in, AFO was too mid-bassy and closed-in. Clear was impressive at first but then too aggressive to live with. Now the HEXV2 seem to send the 2C to retirement.

On the 6th April I am going to audition most of the ZMF line, including Aeolus. Hopefully I'll hear Ether2 and the Empyrian too. (I wouldn't be able to pay retail price for the two latter, but you never know what secondhand market brings.)

My only HiFiMan I owned was the 400s which I really hated due to complete lack of bass.
I still don't like the build quality and the very poor, non-transferable 1 year warranty on the XV2. Most headphone manufacturers offer 3-5 years if not lifetime warranty these days, at least on the drivers.
Still, I am happy to risk and live with the relatively poor build quality due to the awesome sound the XV2 offers.

I read somewhere, Mr Fang, the designer of HiFiMan headphones for the question why his headphones cost so much answered: "because they sound good". While this confidence is admirable as his higher-end headphones do indeed sound phenomenally, IMO he could pay some respect to his customers by higher quality building materials and a better and longer warranty service.

That said, I am extremely happy with my XV2. Without the Reveal plug-in the clarity I was missing is definitely there. It is less warm, more neutral. The spaciousness, life-likeness is simply exceptional. Bass is just a tad behind Audeze but everything else is so good, I just can't go back to Audeze.

The treble is definitely the most my sensitive ears can bear, so Ananda is definitely not for me. Probably HEK2 would be too much too, at least according to the Ananda/Arya/HEXV2 threads on Head-Fi what I read.

I am very happy with the HEXV2 out of my system. (I still think, out of a random portable system they do sound poor.) I consider the HEXV2 a surprisingly pleasant and enjoyable headphone which has overthrown my recent favourite the LCD2C. Made me really curious to try the Arya.

I can't wait to see (hear) how the Aeolus or even the Ether2 or Empyrian sound compared to this.

Anyway, IMO a secondhand HEXV2 is the best audio bargain these days.

Such happy times we live in! :)

I agree the HEX V2 >> LCD-2C. HEX V2 very relaxing while revealing a good deal. I would like a bit more 'sssssh' in the treble of the HEX V2. I'm going to build some silver plate XLR cables and see if that gives a bit more.

Apr 7, 2019 at 12:07 PM Post #3,717 of 4,030
Has anyone compared the HEX V2 directly to the HE-500? I suspect the HEX V2 would offer a bigger and airier soundstage, however i worry that i would be giving up things like bass solidity and impact as well as overall thickness and body.
For the record, i extensively A/B'd the HE-500 against the HE-560 and do NOT consider the HE-560 an upgrade, i found it thinner sounding and a bit shrill on top.

I think the HE-500 is unique in that it uses a dual sided magnet arrangement, if i recall correctly.

I didn't see a clear response, and you probably worked it out by now, in case there is anyone else... here they go.

My HE-500 has been my #1 can for about 18 months. It's very modified. The HEX V2 unmodded (except the cable) took over the top spot about six weeks ago. The HE-500 with the backs off, black dragon v1 cable, fuzzor mod, dynamat, felt have a much wider soundstage (about 230 degress in some cases - no joke). HEX V2's have a much taller, but narower soundstage - total area could be close, the width is about 160 degrees. The HE-500 has more bass impact at times, but its far from flat, the HEX V2 is much more linear. The HEX V2 has better mids, no question. The HE-500 (w/ stock silver cable is much tizzier on top, cymbal decay takes 2-3 times what it does on other SOTA phones or speakers. The 500 has a lot more treble (uneven, and a lot more 'ssssssh' than the HEX V2. The HEX V2 is far more coherent than the HE-500, but there are times the 500 seems more alive, and ready to break through. The HE-6 has that characteristic even more so. I'm on the hunt for a pure silver or silver plate cable to bring a bit more of the 'ssh' forward for the HEX V2. I'm resisting the use of an EQ at this point.

I'll never sell either one. The HEX V2 kills my prior 'easy listening can' the Fostex FH-500RP by a massive amount (sell it cheap). The 500 is a gem, easily more listenable IMO to stable mates: 560, HE-5LE, 400*, Ananda, and Sundara. If I had a LFF modded HE-6 to go with my HD-600 w/ upgraded cable and these two cans, and my 4xx (outdoors/rugged) I'd probably be done collecting cans.

Apr 7, 2019 at 12:21 PM Post #3,718 of 4,030
I used to own both HE500 and HE560. Both are stock unmodded. I agree that the 500 has more body in the lower end. But it has smaller soundstage. The 560 is more airy and to me the bass is still adequate. I ended up selling the 500 which I kind of regretted. I bought the HEX V2 recently and really love the clarity of the sound. I have to agree with one of the comments here that HEX V2 sounds more like the electrostatic headphones (would be my ultimate endgame). I would be looking for another pair of the 500s with a reasonable price and will try to do the mod to increase the sound stage.

Apr 7, 2019 at 1:40 PM Post #3,719 of 4,030
I didn't see a clear response, and you probably worked it out by now, in case there is anyone else... here they go.

My HE-500 has been my #1 can for about 18 months. It's very modified. The HEX V2 unmodded (except the cable) took over the top spot about six weeks ago. The HE-500 with the backs off, black dragon v1 cable, fuzzor mod, dynamat, felt have a much wider soundstage (about 230 degress in some cases - no joke). HEX V2's have a much taller, but narower soundstage - total area could be close, the width is about 160 degrees. The HE-500 has more bass impact at times, but its far from flat, the HEX V2 is much more linear. The HEX V2 has better mids, no question. The HE-500 (w/ stock silver cable is much tizzier on top, cymbal decay takes 2-3 times what it does on other SOTA phones or speakers. The 500 has a lot more treble (uneven, and a lot more 'ssssssh' than the HEX V2. The HEX V2 is far more coherent than the HE-500, but there are times the 500 seems more alive, and ready to break through. The HE-6 has that characteristic even more so. I'm on the hunt for a pure silver or silver plate cable to bring a bit more of the 'ssh' forward for the HEX V2. I'm resisting the use of an EQ at this point.

I'll never sell either one. The HEX V2 kills my prior 'easy listening can' the Fostex FH-500RP by a massive amount (sell it cheap). The 500 is a gem, easily more listenable IMO to stable mates: 560, HE-5LE, 400*, Ananda, and Sundara. If I had a LFF modded HE-6 to go with my HD-600 w/ upgraded cable and these two cans, and my 4xx (outdoors/rugged) I'd probably be done collecting cans.

Thank you Bagwell359!
I really appreciate you taking the time to respond with extensive and comparative info.
I also read your re-write on this thread (3/15, post 3707) which helped and covers a lot of what you say here.
At this point however i think i will wait for the Arya price to drop and will try to hear it in direct comparison to the HEX-V2, evaluate the SQ and determine if any improvement is worth the cost increase.
Thanks again for your insights!

Apr 7, 2019 at 2:43 PM Post #3,720 of 4,030
So is there any sonic difference between the v1 and v2 that is not related to the updated pads? I understand the aesthetic changes, but wondering if there is something besides the pads creating the sonic improvements on the v2 vs the v1?

I have an opportunity to get a demo v1 for a good price, $300 cheaper than what the v2 typically goes for used. If I do it, I'm wondering if the v2 pads on the v1 will sound virtually the same as the v2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back