Hifiman Edition X
Feb 14, 2019 at 7:57 PM Post #3,676 of 4,030
Thank you. Out of criosity, is there any aspect of the sound you feel the HE-500 does better?

Well, let me be clear to avoid mistakes. I've had the HE-500 for about 14 months and upgraded it a number of times.

Remembering back to the start: HE-500 mid bass and upper bass a bit thick and behind lower mids, can be bright in the highs, also complex music can get congested in the mids. Still it gives a warm and vigorous take on the music Its mid first but the bass and treble do not take that much a back seat.

The HEX v2 is less organic, cleaner, less swagger, cleaner bass, but not as much impact in the bass. highs are more refined, more laid back, more pleasant. Poor recordings come off better than they should which means a little def is missing. Better overall (to me) then the MrS Ether Closed, Ananda (IMO - under some argument elsewhere), LCD2.

Modded the HE-500 becomes a more defined, warm, and with a strong SS amp the bass cleans up a lot, and full listen. Not as clean as the HEX V2, HD-800S, HD-600 - it still has a unique and nice to have way with music if you have 4-5 or more cans.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2019 at 8:36 PM Post #3,677 of 4,030
Well, let me be clear to avoid mistakes. I've had the HE-500 for about 14 months and upgraded it a number of times.

Remembering back to the start: HE-500 mid bass and upper bass a bit thick and behind lower mids, can be bright in the highs, also complex music can get congested in the mids. Still it gives a warm and vigorous take on the music Its mid first but the bass and treble do not take that much a back seat.

The HEX v2 is less organic, cleaner, less swagger, more definition, more low bass, but not as much impact in the bass. highs are more refined, more laid back, more pleasant. Poor recordings come off better than they should which means a little def is missing. Better overall then the MrS Ether Closed, Ananda (IMO - under some argument elsewhere), LCD2.

Modded the HE-500 becomes a more defined, warm, and with a strong SS amp the bass cleans up a lot, and full listen. Not as clean as the HEX V2, HD-800S, HD-600 - it still has a unique and nice to have way with music if you have 4-5 or more cans.

Organic with good bass impact is exactly how i would describe the HE-500 and i also agree with everything else you say about them.
It's good to know we have a similar take on this headphone, i can therefore trust your impressions regarding the HEX-V2 as well as your opinion on other headphones being discussed here, thanks again!!

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2019 at 8:51 PM Post #3,678 of 4,030

The HEX v2 is less organic, cleaner, less swagger, more definition, more low bass, but not as much impact in the bass. highs are more refined, more laid back, more pleasant. Poor recordings come off better than they should which means a little def is missing. Better overall then the MrS Ether Closed, Ananda (IMO - under some argument elsewhere), LCD2.

Which one do u prefer?

Feb 14, 2019 at 8:59 PM Post #3,679 of 4,030
Organic with good bass impact is exactly how i would describe the HE-500 and i also agree with everything else you say about them.
It's good to know we have a similar take on this headphone, i can therefore trust your impressions regarding the HEX-V2 as well as your opinion on other headphones being discussed here, thanks again!!

I hope I can maintain your trust - but - I'm sure I'll *&^% up at some point - LOL (not on purpose of course)... Thanks.

Feb 14, 2019 at 9:08 PM Post #3,680 of 4,030
Which one do u prefer?

Well. Nailed. I listen to the 500's about 2.5 hours a day. I've heard the HEX V2 for about 2.5 hours in total. So, I need a few days if not weeks to answer that. Off on vacation soon and I won't have a crack at the HEX V2's I bought until about the 27th., so the end of March or so.

OTOH I also listened to the Ananda, MrS Ether C, 800S, MrS Aeon C + O, HE-6, HE5-LE, Sundara in the past 3 months and decided the HEX V2 at the price I could get it for was the best choice for me. I did buy the HE5-LE as more of an historic curio. I really like the MrS Ether C too but it was a bit more quirky and also somewhat bass shy.

Feb 16, 2019 at 7:43 AM Post #3,681 of 4,030
Hi guys, little late to the party, but I´ve just bought an used Edition X.
Can you recommend a cheap balanced cable for these? Or should I rather build one myself?

Enjoying the sound a lot so far. I knew what I was jumping into as I auditioned HE1000, X and few more planars in the past.
To my surprise, X is giving me goosebumps on some songs, when plugged "just" into my Sabaj dac.
Only think I miss so far is tighter and faster bass, but I can live with that, these are actually really good for relaxed listening, the music can sound really immersive with these :)

Feb 16, 2019 at 7:22 PM Post #3,682 of 4,030
Hi guys, little late to the party, but I´ve just bought an used Edition X.
Can you recommend a cheap balanced cable for these? Or should I rather build one myself?

Enjoying the sound a lot so far. I knew what I was jumping into as I auditioned HE1000, X and few more planars in the past.
To my surprise, X is giving me goosebumps on some songs, when plugged "just" into my Sabaj dac.
Only think I miss so far is tighter and faster bass, but I can live with that, these are actually really good for relaxed listening, the music can sound really immersive with these :)

If you have the skill to build a balanced cable, it's almost for sure going to be more cost effective than buying one.

Because the treble recedes a bit, it's possible a SPC wire might give better results. Also you might want to search around to see who says they have a very positive story about a specific cable to guide your choice.

Feb 18, 2019 at 10:56 AM Post #3,683 of 4,030
So I picked up a used HEX V1 (with V2 pads) not too long ago and enjoy it as an alternative to the Argon MK3 at home. I was wondering if anyone felt like the HEX V2 would be an upgrade in any way? I've read it may have slightly more bass impact and more forward mids and highs? Maybe a less relaxed, relaxed sound?

Feb 18, 2019 at 11:10 AM Post #3,684 of 4,030
HEXv1 is not a technical phone. It has pleasant tonality. But nothing to write home about technically. It also loses its **** when you drive it loud. Combined with its cheap build, $1800 was daylight robbery when it came out. I'd gladly stick with my HE500 if it is still alive. At least it got some balls and character.

Havent tried the HEXv2. But from the impressions I heard, the v2 should be an improvement across the board.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2019 at 5:54 PM Post #3,685 of 4,030
I don't know how the V2 compares to the V1. Tough to say how much difference is just the pads or people's subjective experience with their amp+dac.

Seems to hold its composure well enough at high volumes for me at least. If it is falling apart, that occurs beyond the threshold that I consider unpleasantly loud. The treble is well enough behaved I typically listen louder on this headphone than the others I've had, although my other headphones are all 2 tiers lower.

FoByaoYh.jpg

Pretty happy with this setup.

The Sangaku is commonly recommended for the HE-1000, and I find it works with the HEXv2 as well.

It's not perfect. There's no genre bias, but I think that the HEXv2 tends to work best with 'audiophile' level recordings. It won't save really sibilant recordings or liberate dynamism out of really soupy arrangements. Not sure how different that is from the v1, but I've heard that is a bit softer sounding.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2019 at 8:44 PM Post #3,686 of 4,030
HEXv1 is not a technical phone. It has pleasant tonality. But nothing to write home about technically. It also loses its **** when you drive it loud. Combined with its cheap build, $1800 was daylight robbery when it came out. I'd gladly stick with my HE500 if it is still alive. At least it got some balls and character.

Havent tried the HEXv2. But from the impressions I heard, the v2 should be an improvement across the board.

Note: using 5' Artic Cable Cardas 24 ga. XLR cable, not stock

OK, bought a used V2 and have had at it for 15+ hours now. I'm struck by the similarity between my modded HE-500 and the V2, I would not say that about a stock HE-500. The other transducers they sound like are:

Maggie MG-II circa 1980
Maggie 1.5 circa 1998

That means they have microdynamics done very well, have good detail - but to a point - nowhere near the razor edge of a ribbon speaker or the Senn 800S. They also don't do macrodynamics that well, you might find yourself turning up the volume. I have not heard most cans of this or above quality, but of those only the HE-6 does macrodynamics in a way that grabs my attention - almost like a horn speaker can do. I personally have usually passed up macrodynamics to get killer micro and a sense of coherence that few dynamic multi driver speakers have. Yes - these sound like refined well driven panels. They ring less then the HE-500 so the sound is more transparent but less sweet.

The V2 is very good on jazz, classical, and chamber music of all stripes. It's also a terrific late night can - you know - you don't want to be irritated by some annoying singer or brass.

Whoever said 2-3 weeks ago that the V2 has a "V" sound with pumped up bass and treble must be listening to a very strange sample. Bass is well flatter than a HE-500, there is the usual HFM reticence in the 2-4.5k area, and they have a bit of that rise at 8-10K that HFM have, but less than any other version of HFM I've heard (HE-400 (3 versions), HE-500, HE-6, HE-5LE, Sundara, Ananda and HE-560) The treble above that is very civilized and clean, perhaps a bit reticent or soft.

The V2's sound is more like an inverted U, with 3/4 of the legs cut off and the remainder pressed down towards flat, with a bit pushed down for the 2.5-5k reticence. That's a slightly mid-centric polite picture - and so it is.

The modded HE-500 has a bit more dynamic life, a bit more body. It has more 2nd order harmonic (making it sound sweeter and tube like - and adding that "body"). The 500 can play 98-99 db programme pretty well, the V2 doesn't go above 97 well - it flattens out. For me no issue since I'm usually 85-90 db. The sound stage it throws is much better to my ear then the V2 (see below).

OTOH, the modded HE-500 has a lot of cruft in the upper bass into the middle of the mids, and general distortion (the dark side of the body and sweet tubeyness). The 500 bass is uneven compared to the V2 and doesn't go as low well. The mids of the V2 are better, cleaner, open, flatter. The treble is much better. Less grain, not as peaky, and the ridiculous decay of cymbals is tamped down to where it belongs. They are more coherent, sounding like the sound comes from one driver, and in phase. The 500 stock sounds like a 2 or 3 way. As long as you don't overdrive them they do nothing unpleasant. That's the big theme. Pleasant and coherent.

The sound stage isn't my taste. It's very tall - perhaps near double the height of the 500, but, the center fill is less than the L & R, and its in my head, the L & R are right next to my head. Very headphone like. There can be a bit of an echo/cave thing going on probably due to the size of the pads - not as pronounced as the HE-500 rear screens - so don't freak. I'm going to have to "felt" my head *jk* to do away with it.

UPDATE 3/5/19: The cups are huge, they can be positioned in a number of places. I found two spots where the treble gets into my ear better than just throwing them on. It gives an image that doesn't buckle, but the back plane is one plane, it is very tall and quite wide, its still in my head, but its well forward. It's far better than I wrote here before.

Also the fit of the pads isn't perfect, there are two mirror imaged gaps between my head and the pads. Fill in the gaps with some toilet paper and the bass is deeper, less diffuse, more authority. It'll never be a bass head can, but it delivers nicely under most conditions.

The HE-500 soundstage: very speaker like, that's the biggest edge IMO. It's very wide, moderate height, good depth, and in front of your head.

I used to think I'd need to buy a used 500 so I'd always have one when my current one dies, but the V2 isn't far off, so no. I think my next can is going to have macrodynamics and/or detail to burn. Maybe a Voce or an Abyss - or a 800S for the soundstage and definition.

The Ananda by comparison has a flatter freq response up to 5kHz, but an area of higher frequency response and ringing in the 8-10kHz area frequently makes them sound astringent. On top of that overall they don't have the image depth or body of the V2.

When the used Arya's show up is when we'll see the next price drop, that and the MD XX. You can get a 1000 v2 for about $1600 now for goodness sake.

A really mint HE-500 with an upmarket cable is about $425 - but is 5-8 years old (and probably needs new pads too); The V2 can be had $675-750 with up market cable and is 2.5 - 0 yrs old. Both are real good buys, depends on taste, and maybe nerves about age. I agree that the original list of the V2 was well off the mark, $1200 closer. In a year used prices should slide to $550-600 range and hold there.

They should be far more efficient than the HE-500 by spec, but I'd say it's 4 db or so. They can be run off of a DAP. My venerable FiiO X3 can run them loud - but the bass and treble don't "pop".

Somehow whats above doesn't read as well as I like these. They are quite good. If you like orthos for coherence - listen to these. If you want over cooked bass, or searing treble (certain German cans), or micro detail - don't bother - because you won't like them for those things.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2019 at 3:27 PM Post #3,688 of 4,030
but less than any other version of HFM I've heard (HE-400 (3 versions), HE-500, HE-6, HE-5LE, Sundara, Ananda, HEX V2)

Good info, thank you for sharing...just to make sure, did you mean to refer the HEK V2 in the above statement, since you are discussing the HEX V2?

Feb 28, 2019 at 10:26 PM Post #3,689 of 4,030
Good info, thank you for sharing...just to make sure, did you mean to refer the HEK V2 in the above statement, since you are discussing the HEX V2?

No, have about 3 min on a HEK V2 not qualified to discuss it.

Feb 28, 2019 at 10:45 PM Post #3,690 of 4,030
So I picked up a used HEX V1 (with V2 pads) not too long ago and enjoy it as an alternative to the Argon MK3 at home. I was wondering if anyone felt like the HEX V2 would be an upgrade in any way? I've read it may have slightly more bass impact and more forward mids and highs? Maybe a less relaxed, relaxed sound?
I have HEX V1 with V2 pads. A friend has the HEX V2 which I've listened to and to be honest I couldn't tell the difference between the two. This could possibly have been caused by my ancient ears. I was always under the impression that the primary difference between the two was in the build and the pads. I did notice a definite improvement in the sound signature when I upgraded to V2 pads.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back