Hifiman DEVA - Official Thread
Dec 5, 2021 at 2:57 PM Post #871 of 984
Any recommendation? I was looking at something like the Topping DX3 Pro+ but I'm not sure if it performs well with low-impedance headphones (I understand the Deva Pro has 18 Ohm). Alternatives are the Topping L30/D30 stack or the recently announced SMSL SH-6/SU-6 stack (didn't find yet reviews of the amp, but the DAC seems solid).
The Topping EX5 is a good match, if you have more cash the SMSL stack DO/HO200 is excellent.
If you want to wait for a review I am awaiting the SH/SU-6 stack but it will be about a month till I am finished.

My EX5 review

https://www.hxosplus.gr/reviews/topping-ex5-review/

The SMSL stack

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/smsl-do200.25534/review/27207/

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/smsl-ho200.25426/review/27016/

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2021 at 4:40 PM Post #874 of 984
Dec 15, 2021 at 7:26 PM Post #876 of 984
It is Wednesday, so we have something special, a video review on HIFIMAN Electronics Deva PRO Headphones!

Those are some interesting cans, with R2R tech, an awesome Bluetooth Receiver with LDAC, aptX HD, and which can work as a USB DAC, with a wide, yet punchy sound!

More info, as well as my usual style and background music in the full video review~

Dec 30, 2021 at 4:01 AM Post #877 of 984
In our last review of the year we take a close look at the DEVA PRO on Headfonia. @Virtu Fortuna is even giving it a Recommended Buy award!

https://www.headfonia.com/hifiman-deva-pro-review/

2021-12-30_09-54-42.png

Jan 3, 2022 at 8:04 PM Post #879 of 984
I am curious to know if they still included the LHDC codec in this version as well as the OG version. Even that one didn't really advertise it, and any of the apps you have to install to get this codec to function either don't work at all, work horribly, or is a terrible music player (which you must use for music playback in order to also use the codec). Has anyone tested the pro yet with this?

I still have the OG version, with the version one Bluemini, but if they can improve the LHDC codec, I may consider "sidegrading". Hifiman is on the board of this new(ish) codec (as well as many other big names), but this codec doesn't seem to be taking off as well as LDAC has. It IS open source though, so that might be the difference (no real money to be made from it right now).

Jan 19, 2022 at 9:28 AM Post #880 of 984
The Deva Pro's arrived yesterday and have renewed my interest in headphones!
Really impressed with the wired sound through an o2 DAC into a Naim Headline. I need to play around with the Bluemini a little as this was good but nowhere near the O2/Naim sound.

For the bedroom I would like to buy either a DAP or different DAC /Amp (one unit if possible. Most of my listening here would be Amazon HD streaming.

Would a DAP (suggestions please, I know nothing about DAPs) get anywhere near the quality (I would obviously like to improve) on the O2/Naim setup?.....or would I be better using my Huawei phone with an OTG into a new DAC/Amp (suggestions please)?

Budget about £200 - £325, I know the Naim was a lot more expensive but I've had it quite a while and suspect that better results can now be had for a lot less outlay!

Jan 19, 2022 at 6:05 PM Post #881 of 984
The Deva Pro's arrived yesterday and have renewed my interest in headphones!
Really impressed with the wired sound through an o2 DAC into a Naim Headline. I need to play around with the Bluemini a little as this was good but nowhere near the O2/Naim sound.

For the bedroom I would like to buy either a DAP or different DAC /Amp (one unit if possible. Most of my listening here would be Amazon HD streaming.

Would a DAP (suggestions please, I know nothing about DAPs) get anywhere near the quality (I would obviously like to improve) on the O2/Naim setup?.....or would I be better using my Huawei phone with an OTG into a new DAC/Amp (suggestions please)?

Budget about £200 - £325, I know the Naim was a lot more expensive but I've had it quite a while and suspect that better results can now be had for a lot less outlay!
Depends on your definition of "better results" honestly. But as to sound, that is purely subjective. I have the Deva OG (not too sure how much different the new and old actually sound), and I find them to sound amazing on my iBasso DX160 DAP. It cost's $400 and is considered TOTL in its price class all the way up to $800(ish) (again subjective). It DOES shine with the Deva (and most decent planars).

Then there is one of the cheapest TOTL DAPS. That is the iBasso DX300. You will get sound that is considered to be on par with (or better than some) desktop solutions. With the stock amp you get 1.2W @32Ohms, and with an upgrade modular amp card, even more (2Amps for those keeping track for the use of planars). A new modular amp card that is a tube amp is in the works as we speak. BTW! The Deva sound even better on the DX300 to my ears.

Anyhow, there are MANY other DAPS out there, and I am not a fanboy of iBasso. I just know that (to my ears) they make some of the best sounding devices for a good price (comparatively). Personally, I don't own a desktop solution because I really don't need it (not to mention I am too mobile to use one). Just do some reading on the different DAPs thread here, and you will find what you like.

If iBasso doesn't sound like it suits you, maybe look into Fiio, Hiby, Cayin, Lotoo, or (if you like to spend money) Astell & Kern. Those are some of the biggest names in the world of DAPs atm (there are plenty of other names too, but these seem to be the most well respected).

Jan 19, 2022 at 6:21 PM Post #882 of 984
Depends on your definition of "better results" honestly. But as to sound, that is purely subjective. I have the Deva OG (not too sure how much different the new and old actually sound), and I find them to sound amazing on my iBasso DX160 DAP. It cost's $400 and is considered TOTL in its price class all the way up to $800(ish) (again subjective). It DOES shine with the Deva (and most decent planars).

Then there is one of the cheapest TOTL DAPS. That is the iBasso DX300. You will get sound that is considered to be on par with (or better than some) desktop solutions. With the stock amp you get 1.2W @32Ohms, and with an upgrade modular amp card, even more (2Amps for those keeping track for the use of planars). A new modular amp card that is a tube amp is in the works as we speak. BTW! The Deva sound even better on the DX300 to my ears.

Anyhow, there are MANY other DAPS out there, and I am not a fanboy of iBasso. I just know that (to my ears) they make some of the best sounding devices for a good price (comparatively). Personally, I don't own a desktop solution because I really don't need it (not to mention I am too mobile to use one). Just do some reading on the different DAPs thread here, and you will find what you like.

If iBasso doesn't sound like it suits you, maybe look into Fiio, Hiby, Cayin, Lotoo, or (if you like to spend money) Astell & Kern. Those are some of the biggest names in the world of DAPs atm (there are plenty of other names too, but these seem to be the most well respected).
thanks for the reply I will have a look at the iBasso...................I wasn't expecting the Deva pro's to be quite so good with a wired connection!
My K701's seem quite harsh and vocal forward in comparison... I will try my modfed tp50's after I have blown off the dust!

I quite fancy a DAP but want something that sounds as good if not better than the O2/Naim combo.

Jan 19, 2022 at 6:27 PM Post #883 of 984
thanks for the reply I will have a look at the iBasso...................I wasn't expecting the Deva pro's to be quite so good with a wired connection!
My K701's seem quite harsh and vocal forward in comparison... I will try my modfed tp50's after I have blown off the dust!

I quite fancy a DAP but want something that sounds as good if not better than the O2/Naim combo.
On another note, don't give up on the Bluemini so quickly. Are you connecting to a device that has LDAC capabilities? If you are, are you enabling it? If you haven't used that codec before, I am pretty sure it is disabled by default. Or maybe your ears are just that good, because the dac in the Bluemini is so well matched to the Devas (at least the OG) I could hear the difference, but it was slighter that what it sounds like your experience was.

I would argue that some DAPs sound better than all but the best desktop solutions. That being said, if you like your setup that much, I am not sure there will be anything out there that can sound as good (to you) as it does. Good news is, for iBasso DAPs that is, that you can get them from Amazon, and return them if you don't like them.

Feb 10, 2022 at 9:01 PM Post #884 of 984
I am a new owner of the Deva Pro with R2R module. It is working great, except when connected with USB to my PC. then the maximum capabilities reported are 16 bit 48kHz because of generic MS USB driver.

Now, I downloaded the driver software from hifiman website, and it installed something called "Bravo-HD" USB device by Savitech Corp..
It won't work with my R2R DAC, it has an exclamation mark. I guess that driver is not meant for Windows 10 and 11?
Any solutions to this?

Feb 10, 2022 at 9:46 PM Post #885 of 984
I am a new owner of the Deva Pro with R2R module. It is working great, except when connected with USB to my PC. then the maximum capabilities reported are 16 bit 48kHz because of generic MS USB driver.

Now, I downloaded the driver software from hifiman website, and it installed something called "Bravo-HD" USB device by Savitech Corp..
It won't work with my R2R DAC, it has an exclamation mark. I guess that driver is not meant for Windows 10 and 11?
Any solutions to this?
I wonder if you can change some settings for USB audio out like you can for speakers out or HDMI out, etc... and change it to what you want it to be?!

SoundQuality.PNG

IIRC (at least for my OG Deva), you shouldn't need a driver for windows. Maybe I'll hook mine up tonight and get back to you on if/how I can change it (or not :)).

If that fails then you might send an email to @ Paul - iBasso. He has been known to be very helpful about their products in the past.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back