Hifiman DEVA - Official Thread
Sep 25, 2021 at 1:58 PM Post #841 of 984
Don't you guys notice that bass significantly improves if you partially detach (from the bottom for ex) headphones paddings (just to let airflow)?

Like that:

photo_2021-09-20 08.24.58.jpeg
Breaking the seal slightly causes a mid-bass bump.

Better to bump the lower frequencies with EQ though...

Sep 25, 2021 at 2:00 PM Post #842 of 984
2021-09-25_DevaEQ.PNG

This is Oratory1990's EQ for the Deva, unless I fat-fingered something somewhere. It sounds pretty good to me.

Oct 3, 2021 at 10:04 PM Post #843 of 984
I got my Deva back from warranty with a replacement unit, and it's all good again. Using the same Bluemini2 unit (not replaced), I'm still struck by how well matched the DAC/Amp is for these cans. I also picked up the AliExpress Earmax balanced cable, and it's an improvement over the stock (single-ended) cable but still not as good as the bluetooth (or USB) connection to the Bluemini. These just plain sound great!

Oct 7, 2021 at 8:30 PM Post #844 of 984
Decided to copy paste this post here as well, for those who might be interested:

Just got the Deva Pro, gave it a 15min listen with the r2r module and it went to the burn-in process.

Very, very initial impression - blown away. Having this kind of sound via bluetooth is ridiculous. As for now I could say that they still have that OG Deva timbre - smooth and relaxed, but more refined and detailed, by quite a margin.

More on that later.

IMG_20211007_214509.jpg

Oct 14, 2021 at 4:30 PM Post #845 of 984
Got the Deva Pro in today, early impressions very positive. Vocals come through well, detail is very good and they're fairly airy and open sounding

20211014_155029.JPG
20211014_155113.JPG
20211014_155133.JPG

Oct 15, 2021 at 9:24 AM Post #847 of 984
I was skeptical about how plastic the build was at first, not very premium, but it feels robust enough. It's not creaky or weak feeling and the light weight is really nice for long listening

Oct 16, 2021 at 3:37 AM Post #848 of 984
I was skeptical about how plastic the build was at first, not very premium, but it feels robust enough. It's not creaky or weak feeling and the light weight is really nice for long listening
While timbre is probably different, how does it compare to the Sundara from a tonality perspective? I'd imagine the better magnet array has its pros and cons.

Oct 16, 2021 at 3:07 PM Post #849 of 984
While timbre is probably different, how does it compare to the Sundara from a tonality perspective? I'd imagine the better magnet array has its pros and cons.

It's been like two years since I had decent time with a Sundara, so I really can't say much unfortunately. With my very limited and possibly faulty memory I remember the Sundara being more airy up top and a bit leaner sounding overall, while the Deva Pro sounds more laid back

Nov 13, 2021 at 2:09 AM Post #850 of 984
Breaking the seal slightly causes a mid-bass bump.

Better to bump the lower frequencies with EQ though...
Found the same and more on the DEVA Pro - just lifting the ear cups a couple of mm from my head made the bass more defined, overall definition improved as well but I assume this was because the bass was overall muddying the sound.

Nov 13, 2021 at 2:41 AM Post #851 of 984
Decided to copy paste this post here as well, for those who might be interested:

Just got the Deva Pro, gave it a 15min listen with the r2r module and it went to the burn-in process.

Very, very initial impression - blown away. Having this kind of sound via bluetooth is ridiculous. As for now I could say that they still have that OG Deva timbre - smooth and relaxed, but more refined and detailed, by quite a margin.

More on that later.

IMG_20211007_214509.jpg
Hi, I initially got the GRADO GW-100 V2 as a introduction to bluetooth headphone reception, even though it was bluetooth 5.0 aptX (not HD) the quality was very impressive (I primarily use bluetooth for my music productions to avoid tripping over the head phone cable when adjusting out board gear etc.), my signal source is a optical digital output from the studio monitor amplifier feeding into a SBC/LL/aptX/aptX HD capable bluetooth 5.0 transmitter.
The GRADO convinced me to step up to the HIFIMAN DEVA Pro - the bluetooth aptX HD really made it sing (literally !) - however - a very concerning thing to me was a distinct latency delay from the DEVA Pro, I assume from it's bluetooth receiver.
So I checked with setting the bluetooth transmitter to hptX (not HD) - the DEVA Pro followed accordingly but the latency was still there, I had another bluetooth transmitter and tried that, the latency was still there - I then went back to the GRADO headphones (with the same bluetooth transmitter) - importantly, no latency ! - and as a last (crazy !) test I went cabled into the DEVA Pro, no latency.
I expected 'some' latency with a decent bluetooth receiver that the DEVA Pro has, but this amount is unuseable for i.e. recording keyboards in sync with pre-recorded tracks, I can only imagine as well it would affect lip sync with i.e. wearing the DEVA Pro whilst watching movies, etc.
Anybody else noticed this, or is it just me in using them in a studio performing/recording environment ? - I don't want to return them, but sheesh..

Nov 13, 2021 at 7:47 AM Post #852 of 984
I have original version of Deva and use LDAC as my Bluetooth Codec. I don't experience any latency at all.

Nov 13, 2021 at 4:58 PM Post #854 of 984
I have original version of Deva and use LDAC as my Bluetooth Codec. I don't experience any latency at all.
That makes me wonder if the DEVA Pro with the re-designed bluetooth receiver has created a latency, as mentioned the GRADO GM-100 V2 headphones I tried had little to no latency even though they were running bluetooth as well.
I will look out for a LDAC transmitter as well, hopefully it will be easier than my sourcing of a half decent bluetooth 5.0 transmitter.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2021 at 5:40 PM Post #855 of 984
All bluetooth codecs have latency, so there's no such thing as a no latency bluetooth headphone. Your Grados have latency as well, just less so you aren't noticing it.

The Bluemini may have worse latency than other receivers because of its design, hard to say. It's primarily designed for music listening, where latency doesn't matter so it likely wasn't a concern in its design. LDAC won't solve your issue as it's not a low latency codec either.

Personally I wouldn't use Bluetooth for any tasks where timing matters because it's impossible to entirely eliminate the latency even if you're not noticing it

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back