Hifiman DEVA - Official Thread
Feb 3, 2021 at 2:21 PM Post #617 of 984
I think that should not happen blue mini or not.

Sound is amazing, but the high frequencies are killing me -.- I have to turn down the volume because of the highs, but then I dont hear mids and lows well... :/

Ya it seems to be happening from the bluemini I plugged it into an old amp/dac while I still need to do more testing i am not hearing the crackling anymore.
Does the bluemini need to be charged prior to use plugged into a computer?

Need more testing but i think the issue was my usb port on the computer which was causing the crackling just changed ports and seems to be working well on the bluemini.

Do you guys recommend any amp/dac for the Deva's?

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2021 at 3:18 AM Post #618 of 984
Ya it seems to be happening from the bluemini I plugged it into an old amp/dac while I still need to do more testing i am not hearing the crackling anymore.
Does the bluemini need to be charged prior to use plugged into a computer?

Need more testing but i think the issue was my usb port on the computer which was causing the crackling just changed ports and seems to be working well on the bluemini.

Do you guys recommend any amp/dac for the Deva's?
People usually go with Schiit audio products for budget audiophile amps and dacs.

Feb 4, 2021 at 9:38 AM Post #619 of 984
that, or ifi zen. people have praised the zen / deva kombo here.

I use mine exclusively with blue mini, as I like convenience of being wireless. So happy I can finaly have decent wireless open back headphones that don't cost like a used car.

For that purpose I ordered Fiio BTA30 to be able to squeeze LDAC from my PC. Unfortunately I hear the difference between AptX-Classic and LDAC. Would be so much happier if I didn't, but I do -.-

Feb 5, 2021 at 3:46 PM Post #621 of 984
Hey Everyone, Thank you for all the help I love the headphones. Now i am thinking i might get the ifi-zen-signature set.
The iFi Zen is a great match. So is my new Schiit Modi 3+. Zen has better soundstage and Modi slightly better bass definition. YMMV. You can go balanced with Zen, but not Modi 3+. Love my Deva too. Enjoy!

Feb 7, 2021 at 4:02 PM Post #622 of 984
I just got my headphone while its only for gaming and an occasional movie. They sound really good but it almost sounds like there is a crackling sound not all the time. Happens a few times during youtube and on netflix, but haven't experience it in a game. Even if i change the volume the crackling still happens

Could this be caused because i am using the Bluemini as an amp/dac

I get the loud pops and scratchiness with the blue mini from excessive cpu usage and/or on the edge of the bluetooth range with aptX HD and practically never with aptX Classic. The FiiO BTA30 is a must to get the best out of the Bluemini. I tried a BT5 aptX HD transmitter from Kingfone off of Amazon for $30 and it sounds great but there's no LDAC support and you don't want to be around the microwave if you want to keep your hearing. If you can deal with that, it's worth the $30 since I use the optical input and the aptX HD. My Bluemini came with a factory sticker on it with a date of 12/20 and has one button only.

Feb 7, 2021 at 11:20 PM Post #623 of 984
Have had the iFi Zen DAC for a few months now and love it. Bought it because I wanted to try balanced and see what the fuss was about. I have recently been listening to my Deva in balanced mode with a new Hart Audio cable (awesome by the way!). My first time with anything in balanced mode. All I can say is MAN-O'-MAN this sounds freakin' sweet. Took the Deva to a whole different level for me. I mean the difference was NOT subtle. It's the little happy moments like this that keep me in the game. Now ordering a 2.5mm cable for my ES100 to see what happens there with the Deva. And I may upgrade my AP80 to the balanced AP80 Pro.
Can you post some pictures, along with something to show scale, of that cable? I am interested in it, but all the pictures on the site are close-ups, and I am afraid the mini XLR will be big.. Normally I wouldn't mind, but I use my Deva with my iBasso DX160, so it needs to not be too bulky to still be semi-portable.

BTW anyone interested in a DAC/Amp and don't want big, and wants versatility; look into the DX160, the Deva pairs exceptionally well with it. I can only speak to the SE out because I have yet to get the balanced cable, but they sound terrific from SE. I have the HE400S running from balanced out and the sound difference between SE and balanced for these is very noticeable to me. Of course the fact that the SE only outputs 500(ish)ma where the balanced outputs 1.2w makes a big difference (especially with planars).

Feb 7, 2021 at 11:45 PM Post #624 of 984
Can you post some pictures, along with something to show scale, of that cable? I am interested in it, but all the pictures on the site are close-ups, and I am afraid the mini XLR will be big.. Normally I wouldn't mind, but I use my Deva with my iBasso DX160, so it needs to not be too bulky to still be semi-portable.

BTW anyone interested in a DAC/Amp and don't want big, and wants versatility; look into the DX160, the Deva pairs exceptionally well with it. I can only speak to the SE out because I have yet to get the balanced cable, but they sound terrific from SE. I have the HE400S running from balanced out and the sound difference between SE and balanced for these is very noticeable to me. Of course the fact that the SE only outputs 500(ish)ma where the balanced outputs 1.2w makes a big difference (especially with planars).

I have the Hart cables as well. The mini xlr is smaller than you'd think. The diameter is just slightly larger than the original plugs diameter and the length when connected to another mini xlr is about 2.75 inches.

Feb 8, 2021 at 9:35 AM Post #625 of 984

I agree with what @tudedude describes. And the XLR portion itself is only about 2" long and the diameter of a mechanical pencil. Very slim and unobtrusive I think, even for portable use. Great cable for going balanced. The quality is outrageous!

Feb 8, 2021 at 11:13 AM Post #626 of 984
I have the Hart cables as well. The mini xlr is smaller than you'd think. The diameter is just slightly larger than the original plugs diameter and the length when connected to another mini xlr is about 2.75 inches.

I agree with what @tudedude describes. And the XLR portion itself is only about 2" long and the diameter of a mechanical pencil. Very slim and unobtrusive I think, even for portable use. Great cable for going balanced. The quality is outrageous!
Awesome! Thanks. I might give them a try.

Feb 10, 2021 at 2:56 AM Post #627 of 984
Bluemini version1 teardown. I figured I'd post this incase anyone is curious about the inside of the bluemini. It looks like the battery has no outside info and is hardwired. It would not be easily replaced by the user.

Also incase anyone wants to try, the main tab you need to work to open it up is indicated by the red arrow. Best to use a thin soft plastic tool if you do try.

bluemini1.jpg

bluemini2.jpg

Feb 10, 2021 at 5:32 AM Post #630 of 984
thank you very much for the teardown! I was curious about it. Also interested in info on components used.

I'm nowhere near an engineer so all I can say is that the components look to be what is shown in the literature. I opened it up because of an annoying rattle. I narrowed the rattling down to one of the buttons being a little too loose. I fixed that with a sliver of tape. Also the dac and amp are easily disconnected. That rectangle foam pad in the first pic is what keeps the dac pressed in connection with the amp. I can see a lot of issues with this unit being traced to a loose connection between the two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back