Hifiman DEVA - Official Thread
Feb 11, 2021 at 8:54 PM Post #631 of 984
Is there a recommendation for a more powerful portable bluetooth dac amp than the BTR5 for the Deva? The Bluemini has significantly more output than the Fiio BTR5. I was going to buy the Quedelics 5K but sure enough Amazon sold out of them and even that is marginally stronger, I bought a BTR5 and it doesn't have enough power in either Bluetooth or USB mode. From what I can tell a balanced cable will add maybe 3-5db, is that about right? I'm not a pure audiophile, I like to use compressors in some situations.

BTW, that little $30 aptX HD adapter is actually decent sounding and very useful, it has saved me the hassle of dealing with Linux and BSD drivers for a bluetooth dongle. It has the latest Qualcomm CSR8675 chip in it and optical pass-thru. When I get the BTA30, I'll use it on my receiver and dump the HDMI cable. It's worth a look for the budget minded.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Y8CJST5/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_7?smid=A10341HB0GSJNC&psc=1

Feb 12, 2021 at 1:22 AM Post #633 of 984
I'm nowhere near an engineer so all I can say is that the components look to be what is shown in the literature.
Well you are more than an average user since you did the disassembly :D anyway, I didn't mean full breakdown, just which dac chip is used, if it is written on the chip or something... I wasn't able to find the info in the literature so far, where did you find what is used inside the bluemini?
Is there a recommendation for a more powerful portable bluetooth dac amp than the BTR5 for the Deva? The Bluemini has significantly more output than the Fiio BTR5. I was going to buy the Quedelics 5K but sure enough Amazon sold out of them and even that is marginally stronger, I bought a BTR5 and it doesn't have enough power in either Bluetooth or USB mode. From what I can tell a balanced cable will add maybe 3-5db, is that about right? I'm not a pure audiophile, I like to use compressors in some situations.

BTW, that little $30 aptX HD adapter is actually decent sounding and very useful, it has saved me the hassle of dealing with Linux and BSD drivers for a bluetooth dongle. It has the latest Qualcomm CSR8675 chip in it and optical pass-thru. When I get the BTA30, I'll use it on my receiver and dump the HDMI cable. It's worth a look for the budget minded.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Y8CJST5/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_7?smid=A10341HB0GSJNC&psc=1
People have reported that balanced output on the Fiio BTR5 gives enough power to drive the Deva, tudedude also confirms. I can not comment still, as my BTR5 is not here yet, it is in transit for more than a month now -.- Maybe you should try the balanced output on the BTR5 before buying something else? Also, I was looking for decent bluetooth transmitter, and settled for the Fiio BTA30, as all other cheap options were of suspicious quality. If I had your recommendation a month ago, I would buy that one, as I am not impressed by the BTA30, particularly with how the USB functionality is implemented (no LDAC and volume knob over USB), and I wanted to wait for the refresh which should have improved the USB section. I had to buy that Douk Audio USB to optical converter to use it with the BTA30, but then, I could just use the same converter with that cheap-o transmitter.

Feb 12, 2021 at 1:36 AM Post #634 of 984
Well you are more than an average user since you did the disassembly :D anyway, I didn't mean full breakdown, just which dac chip is used, if it is written on the chip or something... I wasn't able to find the info in the literature so far, where did you find what is used inside the bluemini?
Oh yeah I don't think the dac chip is listed in the literature. I was more talking about the pictures used in the literature matched what I saw. On further examination the foam pad is covering the dac chip. Hifiman hiding the secret recipe.

Feb 12, 2021 at 11:11 AM Post #637 of 984
Ok, I have received my new replacement unit, and lo and behold: It has the exact same issue.
Only that this time, the issue appears and disappears randomly.

Can someone please sanity check me?

Listening to this song (the first 3 seconds) results in buzz on my left driver at higher (but still sane) listening volumes
I'm starting to believe there is some kind of weird resonance. that can't be a coincidence anymore.
I am unable to reproduce this at any volume with my Sennheiser HD6xx, Beyerdynamic T51p, Beyerdynamic DT1350 and my apple earbuds, even if I greatly surpass the volume I set on the deva.

Happens on all amps and even the bluetooth module.

(2) Bastien Keb - Cashmere - YouTube
I have had a unit with the same problem on the left driver, I replaced it with another Deva and this one no longer presents this problem.

Volume to the maximum of course, without the problem in this unit, I hope it helps you.

Feb 12, 2021 at 11:22 AM Post #638 of 984
Bluemini version1 teardown. I figured I'd post this incase anyone is curious about the inside of the bluemini. It looks like the battery has no outside info and is hardwired. It would not be easily replaced by the user.

Also incase anyone wants to try, the main tab you need to work to open it up is indicated by the red arrow. Best to use a thin soft plastic tool if you do try.

bluemini1.jpg

bluemini2.jpg
Thanks, could you see if the microphone is soldered? can it be removed? I would like to make a mod to extend it by cables if it is not very welded and is not very feasible.

I have seen that the big problem with this microphone is the distance, if you speak in front it is more decent, so if I could extend it with a directional wiring towards my mouth I could have a very useful 2x1, and not have to look for an independent solution to the mic.

Feb 12, 2021 at 12:30 PM Post #639 of 984
Thanks, could you see if the microphone is soldered? can it be removed? I would like to make a mod to extend it by cables if it is not very welded and is not very feasible.

I have seen that the big problem with this microphone is the distance, if you speak in front it is more decent, so if I could extend it with a directional wiring towards my mouth I could have a very useful 2x1, and not have to look for an independent solution to the mic.
Sorry I didn't get a picture of that area. Actually I didn't even know there was a mic. I only use it for music and movies.

Feb 12, 2021 at 3:15 PM Post #640 of 984
I found the btr5 balanced gave me more than enough power. The only other reasonsble option I found with a lot of power and ldac was the fiio q5s but not worth the price imo.
Thank you, i will check it out. The Bluemini is fine 97% of the time but you can't buy them separately and I would like to upgrade to Sundara's where I'm going to have the same problem. I'm gonna try the qudelix 5k with a balanced cable and if it isn't good enough I'll get the q5s. I checked the specs on it and it looks substantially stronger like you said.

Feb 12, 2021 at 4:37 PM Post #641 of 984

People have reported that balanced output on the Fiio BTR5 gives enough power to drive the Deva, tudedude also confirms. I can not comment still, as my BTR5 is not here yet, it is in transit for more than a month now -.- Maybe you should try the balanced output on the BTR5 before buying something else? Also, I was looking for decent bluetooth transmitter, and settled for the Fiio BTA30, as all other cheap options were of suspicious quality. If I had your recommendation a month ago, I would buy that one, as I am not impressed by the BTA30, particularly with how the USB functionality is implemented (no LDAC and volume knob over USB), and I wanted to wait for the refresh which should have improved the USB section. I had to buy that Douk Audio USB to optical converter to use it with the BTA30, but then, I could just use the same converter with that cheap-o transmitter.
I returned the BTR5 and am ordering the Qudelix 5k, the specs show it to be a little stronger than the BTR5 w/wo a balanced cable. Qudelix site has a spreadsheet for the output with the Sundara going up to 117db with a balanced cable. I enjoy listening to music uncompressed and eq'd to oratory1990 settings most of the time (thanks tgx78).

How was the range for the BTA30? The cheap one I bought does fine up 35' or so but again I'd like to be able to have more power because when you reach the limit using aptx HD you get exceptionally loud pops.

Qudelix 5K Chart for the Sundara https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14CkEvb9FfnQZp3aXVQcwafhkuNeq8Lx7FOAzqEqoPqE/edit#gid=0
Oratory1990's eq settings for Bluemini https://www.dropbox.com/s/ebk1xtt4ssafz4v/Hifiman Deva (Bluetooth).pdf?dl=0

Feb 14, 2021 at 4:06 PM Post #643 of 984
I must say that I am impressed with the HiFiman customer support. The pads on my Deva had small tears in the fabric. I wouldn't return them because of this, it doesn't ruin the experience for me, but I was a bit concerned if it will tear more in the future. I have contacted the customer support, and after quick check if I bought the headphones through the authorized retailer, they told me that they will send me a new set of pads. Big thanx to the wonderful customer support, and advice to everyone - buy through authorized retailer.

Feb 18, 2021 at 1:37 PM Post #644 of 984
I occasionally wear readers while doing computer work. The Deva tends to "squeek" a little when doing so, by the pads rubbing against the glasses ear stem. No biggie - merely an observation. I should only wear my Devas when doing after-work listening, but can't help myself. They are just so DAMN good!! Listening to Led Zeppelin 1 now.

Feb 19, 2021 at 2:27 PM Post #645 of 984
After briefly having the Fiio BTR5 and now enjoying the Qudelix 5K, for my use the Bluemini is still on top. The additional features of the BTR5 and 5K are nice but the Bluemini sounds great and has better range with the 33' aptX HD transmitter. When in Windows it switches back and forth from USB DAC/Amp to BT without skipping a beat while the BTR5 and 5K do not. It's possible to remain connected thru BT. As far as power goes there doesn't seem to be much of a difference, I have not tried a balanced cable yet (HA's on order).

Of note, according to Qudelix support the app is only compatible with Android 8 and later, the FiiO app works fine with v7. A workaround is to set the 5K up with a compatible phone and it remembers the settings. I still use Viper4ARISE FX 2.3.4.0, guess it's time to upgrade the phone.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back